• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

GM Bruce Allen 1/4/10 Presser

Well, I will say I don't like Allen sounding like the Redskins are set up for winning now.

I mean, this team is at least a year away.

When you're facing the possiblity of thousands of people possibly not renewing season tickets, ya gotta go and get rah rah

What the heck do the 1980s Redskins have to do with the 2010 Redskins?

Seriously, "Respect for history"? "Live up to previous teams"? Why?

When you're facing the possiblity of thousands of people possibly not renewing season tickets, ya gotta go and get rah rah
What exactly about this was "rah rah?"

If it were me, I would say "Look, guys, we're 4-12. Give us some time. We're going to need a season or two to get this right. But we will get this right."

But if you say "Hey, we can win now," it just creates a problem where you have fans expecting wins right off the bat.

Damn you guys are bitter-beer faces. :)

The conference was money. Allen said the right, predictable things, said them the right way, did nothing to either set expectations too high or justify concerns over where they might be headed. He checked a box--the "it's a new day starting today" box. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of note ... he made a point of saying, more than once, that the culture of the team was going to change. And the part that caught my ear was that Snyder has "entrusted us" to shape said new team and culture.

"US," Brucie? ;)

Last edited:
What the heck do the 1980s Redskins have to do with the 2010 Redskins?

Seriously, "Respect for history"? "Live up to previous teams"? Why?

Uhh, because our history is awesome? I'd love to live up to those 80s teams, lol.

Ask me in three years if Allen said the right things or not. :)

What's said is one thing, what's done is another thing altogether. I would imagine this press-conference will have very little correlation to what we actually see happen in terms of personnel.

Ask me in three years if Allen said the right things or not. :)
Boooo. :)

It's okay to "grade" his comments in context, brother. We can opine on tone, message, delivery, etc. Doesn't mean he's going to deliver a winner, no. We'll have to look back in three years to opine on the job he did, sure--we clearly can't do that now--but there no reason we can't assess his performance in this essentially meaningless "here we go" presser.

I think you have to buy the first beer tomorrow.

Boooo. :)

It's okay to "grade" his comments in context, brother. We can opine on tone, message, delivery, etc. Doesn't mean he's going to deliver a winner, no. We'll have to look back in three years to opine on the job he did, sure--we clearly can't do that now--but there no reason we can't assess his performance in this essentially meaningless "here we go" presser.

I think you have to buy the first beer tomorrow.

Guilty as charged. :)

My point is, we loved Schottenheimer's hard-nosed no-nonsense style ... then we lost five straight and he was just a blowhard.

Then we loved Spurrier's laid-back style and clever one-liners ... then we got worse every year and he was just a flake.

Then we loved Gibbs' unbridled enthusiasm, and his willingness to bear any and all responsibility for the team's struggles ... and I still do. :) But SOME people after a losing season found him disingenuous and unable to hold his players and fellow coaches accountable.

Then we loved 'stay medium' ... then we lost 18 of 24 games and we hated medium.

So how do I feel about Allen's approach?

At this point I need three years. This team is so beyond words.

I agree with Om that Allen said what he needed to say, I think what a lot of Redskins fans need to hear, that the structure and culture of this organization will be radically altered. He even used the ol' house-building metaphor, laying foundation, etc. It's certainly a welcome change from Vinny "You Mean the Sacks and Stuff?" Cerrato.

Of course, we'd all be wise to take a wait-and-see approach. I will. But I'm just glad 2009 is over and something's blowing in the wind.

Damn you guys are bitter-beer faces. :)

The conference was money. Allen said the right, predictable things, said them the right way, did nothing to either set expectations too high or justify concerns over where they might be headed. He checked a box--the "it's a new day starting today" box. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of note ... he made a point of saying, more than once, that the culture of the team was going to change. And the part that caught my ear was that Snyder has "entrusted us" to shape said new team and culture.

"US," Brucie? ;)

amen bro i agree all the way ..time will tell as usual.

If it were me, I would say "Look, guys, we're 4-12. Give us some time. We're going to need a season or two to get this right. But we will get this right."

But if you say "Hey, we can win now," it just creates a problem where you have fans expecting wins right off the bat.

his last name is "Allen", his dna is "the future is now."

He didn't use the phrase 'Wino Bad', did he???

Could you imagine Vinny doing this presser?

Allen inspires with the comments about winning and finding a leader and discipline and expecting players to make a commitment to winning.

If Vinny did this you'd laugh and ask so when is the headlining comedian coming out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.