• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

From Dulles to Philly

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
What would you see with a couple of days to kill? Never been to Philly or Baltimore. Suggestions? No kids with us.

It has been years since I was in Philly, like over 3 decades, but in Baltimore I would suggest the Inner Harbor and Fort McHenry.

I also won't show anything that I am from Texas.

When in Philly, I always like to go to http://constitutioncenter.org/visit-the-museum/visiting-philadelphia/philadelphia-tours/

Baltimore is all about the Harbor, but be prepared...there have been a few incidences of violence down there lately. You would probably be alright during the day, but I would prefer Annapolis at night over Baltimore any day of the week. Then you could shoot over the Bay Bridge and take the back way to Philly through the Eastern Shore. I love that drive, quiet and peaceful.

If you're starting off in Dulles, does that leave time for DC?

Will be in D.C. three tmes this year. I love your city. Just wanted to go to a couple of places that I have never been.

Annapolis is one of my favorite places, but Olde Towne Alexandria and the National Harbor could be a nice 2 day one night stop. I would stay at the National Harbor and head over for lunch or dinner in Olde Towne.

I think I am leaning toward not going as far as Philadelphia and taking in Anapolis, Baltimore harbor, and Gettysburg. How about that for 2.5 days?

I would suggest coming slightly south to Williamsburg, VA. A lot to see there.

I think I am leaning toward not going as far as Philadelphia and taking in Anapolis, Baltimore harbor, and Gettysburg. How about that for 2.5 days?

It's a lot, but worth it. I haven't made a trip to Gettysburg in a while. I might have to do that soon.

Thanks for the advice. I will save Philly for another day. Already seen Williamsburg, which is amazing. I will focus on Baltimore, Anapolis, and Gettysburg for this two and one half day excursion.

Gettysburg is amazing. Hallowed ground. I'm not really a 'spiritual' kind of a guy, but there's a sense to that place that you just can't deny. You can feel something *big* happened there.

Growing up in Southeast Virginia meant that learning local history was a given. I've lost track of how many times I've been to the Cape Henry Cross, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown, DC, Mount Vernon, Monticello, and everything else surrounding these landmarks. Living in the Philadelphia area opened up additional opportunties to visit many more places and landmarks of historical importance.

I've been to a number of battlefields of both the revolutionary and civil wars. One of my hobbies is metal detecting (hope to get back to doing this on occasion when the health improves) and various trips to certains locations has brought forth a number of bullets, belt buckles, buttons, etc. If any of these relics could talk, the stories would be simple in most cases, but fascinating to us.

The one place that has eluded me is Gettysburg. Heck, I've been to Shiloh and that is so much further away. It was an awesome trip though. Gettysburg is still on the to do list and the sooner, the better.

When you decide to visit the Philadelphia area, let me know. That goes for everyone.

Like BB, having grown up in southeast VA there is so much to see. In Newport News you have the Mariners Museum, which now houses the turret from the Monitor.

I have to agree with Boone about Gettysburg. This is a must see. Took my boys there couple years ago, which they were in mid-teens, and both loved the place.

There is also a lot to see in Richmond, VA. Again, if into history and Civil War, I would recommend the Civil War Museum.

Not to hijack the thread, but in your opinions, where is the best place to see a civil war reenactment?

1) G-Burgh is a full day trip...if not more. Rec you find a good book or historiography and read up before visiting....the knowledge will enhance the impact many times over. take in the Eternal Light Peace Memorial (more because of who else has been there) as well as the usual spots (e.g., Seminary Ridge, Soldiers National Cemetery, etc.)

2) If a theme vacation...visit National Cemetery and Robert E. Lee's home while in DC....Ford's Theatre as well.

3) I have friends who live in Philly and can get the drop on where to go if you change your mind.

Had a fantastic couple of days. Saw the Baltimore Harbor with the tall ships and the Blue Angels flying overhead. Spent a day in Gettysburg. What an amazingly reflective experience. War is hell and especially when fought among each other from the same country. Horrible!! I appreciate the suggestions. D.C. was great as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.