• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign LB Chris Wilson

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 24, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN LB CHRIS WILSON

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent linebacker Chris Wilson. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Wilson (6-4, 247) entered the NFL as a free agent, originally signing with the Redskins on Jan. 2, 2007, after two seasons with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. In four NFL seasons, he has appeared in 64 career games, all coming in his first tenure in Washington from 2007-10. For his career, coaches have credited Wilson with 51 tackles (37 solo), as well as six sacks and two forced fumbles.

After four seasons with the Redskins, Wilson signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 8, 2011, before being released on Sept. 2. Wilson’s most recent NFL appearance came in 2010 when he played in all 16 games for the Redskins. Coaches credited him with 13 tackles (nine solo) as well as 17 special teams tackles (15 solo).

Wilson, 29, played collegiately at Northwood (Mich.) University, where he finished his career with 59 total tackles (38 solo), nine sacks, two passes defensed and one forced fumble. He earned first-team All-GLIAC honors and was named first-team NAIA All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.

Wilson was born on July 10, 1982. He attended Northern High School in Flint, Mich.

Again, why?

Wilson was projected here as an OLB in the 4-3. He doesn't seem like a fit in the current defense.

He's 29 and couldn't secure a regular job during 4 years in the system.

I doubt Wilson will be on the final roster.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I wonder if there will ever be a time when people stop posting "Why?" to every single offseason signing. Probably not, but we can hope, right?

Come on, BT - this happens every year! Every. Single. Year.

You start with almost twice as many as you need, right?

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...n-Wilson/b833963c-7146-4207-b90c-d4f227eeeb67

The 6-4, 247-pounder began his NFL career with the Redskins after two seasons with the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League.

In four seasons with with the Redskins, he appeared in 64 games. He has been credited with 51 tackles (37 solo), as well as six sacks and two forced fumbles.

In 2010, playing under head coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett in Washington, Wilson played in all 16 games and recorded 13 tackles on defense and 17 special teams tackles.

Wilson initially played defensive end for the Redskins, but he transitioned to outside linebacker when the team implemented a 3-4 scheme under Haslett in 2010.

Man is 6-4, 250. He can run. He played in all 16 games here in Shanahan's first year. He contributes on teams and can be worked into specific defensive packages. He's cheap and therefore no cap risk.

Good NFL rosters are filled out with guys like this.

Philly cut him before the opener last year and he spent the entire season out of the NFL.

Why do I question some signings?

Because in this case, we have been there and done that!

If Wilson was effective in 2010 the team would not have let him go.

At least with a UDFA or player from another team there is the CHANCE the move will pay off.

Yes, if I were Wilson I would be happy too. After not hearing the phone ring for 12 months, he gets a chance to try and live the dream again.

I get that.

But bringing back guys from the 32nd ranked defense in 2010 is regressing rather than progressing.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

We've gone from roster of 80 to 90. It's not like he is going to be here for the next decade. If things don't work out, then he is gone with no cap hit. If it works in our favor, then we have great value.

I like the signing. Wilson is a high character guy, will work his ass off, and knows the system. I think he'd be good depth if he makes it through camp.

Not sure why anyone is really questioning this one. High effort, good character guy clearly here for depth purposes. If he doesn't fit the scheme perfectly? Oh no! Our FO is stoopid!

As has been stated, he's here for depth and ST, to push the starters. Nice to have him back.

We've gone from roster of 80 to 90. It's not like he is going to be here for the next decade. If things don't work out, then he is gone with no cap hit. If it works in our favor, then we have great value.

Exactly - nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think Ryman will be happy unless we sign the entire roster of the Saskatchewan Sasquatches (or whatever their name happens to be) for developmental purposes. :)

well...I now have a better idea who not to allow to run any business I might own!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.