• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If you're not watching the Capitals, you should be

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

Caps return to the ice TONIGHT!!

There is something special brewing this season. Caps finished off the Tampa Bay Lightning and a 10-game win streak on Sunday, tying the franchise record for wins in a row. Fittingly, Ovechkin scored the game-winner, as the Caps staved off a late-game comeback by the Bolts.

The Capitals go for a new record on Tuesday against the struggling Bruins; I encourage everyone who can to tune in to the game. History in the making, folks! This team is dominating, and its not just the superstars. Caps blew out the Islanders 7-2, without Mike Green or Ovechkin scoring a single point. Caps put up an 8-spot on Atlanta on January 9th without Ovechkin scoring a goal (before the streak, but still impressive). Defensemen like Erskine and Schultz, who rarely score goals, have each put up a marker during the streak. And most impressively, the best offseason acquisition ever, Mike Knuble, has scored 11 goals in his last 13 games.

The Caps are 13-1 since Ovechkin was officially named Captain, and have outscored opponents 47-21 during their streak. There is something special brewing in DC, my friends! Tune in while you can! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Been watching them since 94, definitely wont be missing this game!

I've never been a hockey fan but I'll jump on the bandwagon. :) It's been a long time since we had a winner in this town.

There's always been D.C United, but nobody cares about soccer :(

I've never been a hockey fan but I'll jump on the bandwagon. :) It's been a long time since we had a winner in this town.

I jumped on the bandwagon 2 years ago, when they made their run to the playoffs, then lost to Philly in the first round. I think its okay, because as Redskins fans, we've suffered through DECADES of mediocrity. :)

Lanky we discussed this before. I am having a tough time not following the Caps regardless of my protestations over the NHL strike that cost us fans an entire season. I was never a "huge" hockey fan, but was always a Caps fan.

With the excitement brewing in DC, I find myself more and more forgiving.

Go Caps!

Last edited:
Caps set a new franchise mark with 11 wins in a row, beating the Bruins 4-1. They had a bad game and were outplayed for the most part, and still put up a 4-spot! This team is amazing. The much maligned Jose Theodore stood on his head for this one, stopping 41 of 42 shots for a .976 save %. Ridic.

It was nice to see them get the win. Definitely was a little nervous though, won't deny it. Theodore pretty much won us the game though, made some HUGE saves for us throughout the entire game.

I have followed them off and on for a couple of years, but not really much at all. I do not feel bad at all for jumping on the bandwagon. They are my local team, and I have paid my fricken dues being a Redskins fan.

What a game tonight and what an amazing goal by Ovechkin for his 500th career point with 8.2 seconds left in the 2nd.

Man this team is good.

Scary good.

And that ridiculous, one-handed goal by Ovechkin is why he's voted the players MVP every year. Completely changed the game's momentum.

Also, Caps lead the league in scoring by something like 40 goals, but are one of 6 teams without a hat trick. I thought for sure Ovie had one tonight...guess he's saving it for Atlanta.

Also, after tonight, Ovie is # in points, #1T in goals, and #1 in plus/minus. Beast!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This is a beautiful sight (even though Backstrom jumped into the top 5 in assists, knocking Ovie out of the top 5):

I for sure thought he was going to have one last night as well. If I recall he could have had it, but Backstrom jumped in front of him and scored. I think that was the play. Either way it doesn't matter, we won and it's time to smack Atlanta tonight.

It would be fitting for them to beat the Penguins on the way to beating the Penguins 17-game win streak record.

And add another one to the streak. What a game... Bodes well for them that they can come back from 3 goals down against a team like the Penguins.

Game was something else, one for the memory books. I loved it. I think what made it even better is the nut riding NBC does to the Penguins and having us come back, they really didn't know what to say.

What a win everyone, WHAT A WIN!!!

What a ridiculous game. 2 weeks ago I decided to stay in Houston, and sell my tickets...really regretting that now! Un. REAL.

Could there have been a more perfect game for Alex to get the first hat trick of the season? I think not.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble have reinforced their position as the absolute best line in hockey. Its like a power play every time that line is on the ice - amazing! Ovie is first outright in points, goals and +/-, and Backstrom is 4th in points, 3rd in assists, and 3rd in +/- (behind Ovie and Jeff Schultz!). Backstrom is 12th in goals - no other team has two players on the same line ranked that high (EDIT: actually line mates Danny Heatley and Patrick Marleau are 3rd and 5th in goals for San Jose, but meh). And Knuble, oh he just has his 8th 20-goal season in a row or something crazy. Talk about Mr. Consistency.

I am amazed by how great the signing of Mike Knuble has been. He is EXACTLY what this team needed, and I credit a lot of the success to him.

Ovechkin and Backstrom were the NHL's 1st and 3rd stars of the week, respectively:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=516758

Alex Ovechkin sure knows how to put on a show.

With a national TV audience watching on NBC and a full house at the snowy Verizon Center looking on, Ovechkin lit up the ice on Super Bowl Sunday, capping yet another brilliant week.

Ovechkin's hat trick helped the Caps rally from a 4-1 deficit to force overtime, and his power-play blast off the post in OT turned into the game-winning assist when Mike Knuble tucked in the rebound for a stunning 5-4 win -- Washington's 14th in a row.

Sunday's performance capped yet another sensational week for "The Great 8." He ended with 6 goals and 10 points in four games (all victories) while going plus-6. Sunday's hat trick moved him past Sidney Crosby and Patrick Marleau into first place in the goal-scoring race with 42 (he's the first 40-goal scorer this season).

Overall, he has 16 points during a seven-game points streak and 36 in his last 17 games (he had points in 16 of those). The only thing that will stop him from terrorizing NHL goaltenders is the Olympic break that begins next Sunday.

Second Star: Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Third Star: Nicklas Backstrom -- As great as he is, Ovechkin is hardly a one-man show. Backstrom, his center, is a key cog in the Caps' juggernaut -- and he was almost as good as his linemate last week, scoring twice and adding eight assists. With 73 points in 59 games, Backstrom is on his way to a 100-point season of his own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.