• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Alternate Uniforms

I know the burgundy helmets with the spear and gold helmets with the R have already been done but I would have preferred the burgundy helmets with the feather from the early 60's. Still, these are pretty cool even if they are a bit reminiscent of the Boston College unis and are probably more in line with an 80th Anniversary.

A nice reminder of the Sammy Baugh era.

I like the look.

people laugh when I mention it, but if today's players played with less gear and the helmet was LESS protective, they would be tackling and engaging with their shoulders and arms instead of their heads and the concussion syndrome would be much reduced.

BTW......uniform jersey when taken alone looks like a SF 49ers jersey from the 1960's.

Yea BT a lot of ex players and coaches along with a few current ones have been clamoring for a single bar or much less protective facemask. Our very own "Mr. Sunshine/Norman Einstein" Joey T has been pushing it a while.

How about we send the captains out for the coin toss in leather helmets. Now THAT would harken back to the early days of Sammy. ;)

Let them play in leather helmets with no facemask. I guarantee that without those hard helmets and facemasks the players would be more cautious about leading with their heads when they tackle.

Edit: I see BT already said that. I agree.

Last edited:
For Immediate Release
May 10, 2012

WASHINGTON REDSKINS UNVEIL NEW NIKE ANNIVERSARY UNIFORM

Innovative Uniform System Showcases a Modern Interpretation of the Redskins 1937 Uniform

ASHBURN, Va. – Today the Washington Redskins unveiled their new 2012 “anniversary” NFL Nike Elite 51 football uniform design at an event celebrating the club’s 80th Anniversary located in the indoor practice facility at Redskins Park.

Linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan were on hand to showcase the new look, unveiling the latest version of this highly innovative new uniform system. The jerseys will be worn in two games this season that will be announced at a later date.
Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder and his staff worked closely with Nike to create a look that spoke to the club’s unique heritage, while highlighting several key details that helped defined the team’s history. The alternate “anniversary” uniform is a balance between history and tradition featuring a rich darker color palate and updated numbering system. It is a modern interpretation of those worn back in 1937 - a year signifying the team’s move from Boston to Washington, D.C., as well as their first National Championship. The patch on the shoulder is one that was worn in early team history. The design also pays tribute to 1937 QB “Slingin” Sammy Baugh, who in his first year in the league led the newly relocated Redskins to their first National Championship.

“The Redskins are an amazing organization focused on team, unity and tradition. This new alternate uniform design for the Redskins is a very special one that truly speaks to the team’s long, rich history” said Nike Football Creative Director Todd Van Horne. “We have truly enjoyed working with Dan Snyder and his team on this project and look forward to seeing the new Elite 51 uniform system on the field this season.”

To complete the look, the helmet features a unique leather-like finish and the words “Team, Effort, Tradition” are embroidered on the inside of the neckline, serving as a reminder to each athlete of what it means to be a Redskin.

“In honor of 80 years of rich tradition this anniversary uniform displays our heritage” said Daniel M. Snyder. “We hope that it will bring back great memories to our fans.”
Designed and engineered from the inside out, the new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrating Flywire technology into the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.

For more information and imagery, please visit www.NIKEInc.com, www.Redskins80th.com or follow us on Twitter at @Redskins or Facebook at www.Facebook.com/Redskins.

I think those are some pretty ugly uniforms, but hey, I'm all about honoring history and tradition. Can't wait till they sport the skunk stripe helmets again some day :)

Meh. I kinda, sorta like them...a little bit. My first impression was that they look like Boston College unis. Also they should have gone with the true gold pants a la FSU/BC. These look more like the Bucs pewter pants. I do like the simulated leather helmet though.

Who wants to bet this uniform is worn on Thanksgiving Day in Dallas?

Shoot, I had no idea we played them on Thanksgiving !!
It's about damn time us and them do that again !!
So sick of the same old damn Lions, etc....I thought ours was supposed to be a TG tradition as well.
That made my day.
But it pissed me off to see that we have to play them IN DALLAS.
It seems like it's ALWAYS in Dallas. Is that supposed to be an NFL TG tradition as well ?? That Dallas ALWAYS gets the home games, at least when they're playing us ?
Can't remember the last time, if ever, they came to DC on TG

The answer to that would be NEVER. For years, beginning in 1934 the Lions played the Bears Detroit on Thanksgiving. Later, they began rotating the teams they played.

Dallas began their tradition of playing at home on Thanksgiving in 1966.

With the addition of a 3rd Turkey Day game in 2006, we may eventually have one played in DC. Hopefully, in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Awesome, especially when practically EVERY OTHER team's throwback makes me want to puke. See if you can name ONE throwback that does not look disgusting.

I love the Chargers' powder blues. Those are a nice throwback uniform.

Shoot, I had no idea we played them on Thanksgiving !!
It's about damn time us and them do that again !!
So sick of the same old damn Lions, etc....I thought ours was supposed to be a TG tradition as well.
That made my day.
But it pissed me off to see that we have to play them IN DALLAS.
It seems like it's ALWAYS in Dallas. Is that supposed to be an NFL TG tradition as well ?? That Dallas ALWAYS gets the home games, at least when they're playing us ?

Yeah dude, where you been? Detroit & Dallas have hosted Thanksgiving games for forever. As Jimbo mentioned there is now a prime time game on Thanksgiving that the Redskins may eventually host, but Detroit & Dallas will always have that Thursday game on the schedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.