• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Words And Phrases You're Tired Of Hearing

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Although I adore Megyn Kelly, she has begun to irk me immensely. Anyone who has watched lately has noticed how at least half a billion times a day, she uses the term jumping the shark. It's become her go-to phrase for EVERYTHING. If I have to hear it again I will rip my tv off the wall. It isn't just her, it has become excessive everywhere lately. It's a 40 year old phrase, why is it just recently that it's begun to flood the airwaves?

Another thing I'm sick of hearing, which is on ESPN almost daily, is a reporter reporting from the friendly confines of _______. Without a doubt, the most played out and idiotic statement a reporter can make. It sounds stupid, and it makes anyone who says it look like an amateur and completely unoriginal.

I'm sure there are plenty more I'm not thinking of, help me out.

So you're saying usage of the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark? :devilish:

Meh....I'll consider thinking about it when it starts showing up on demotivational posters or is is a recurring "item" on the meme troll circuit.

There is one word that is irksome for me...

Extreme

When I see it in the 5 O'Clock Club, it makes me roll my eyes every time!

:rotflmao:

So you're saying usage of the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark? :devilish:
Ironic as **** isn't it? :laugh:

There is one word that is irksome for me...

Extreme

When I see it in the 5 O'Clock Club, it makes me roll my eyes every time!

:rotflmao:
Touche :D

Here's another one............

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Touche :D

Here's another one............

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Uh... when's the last time you personally have seen that message?

:paranoid:

The phrase 'speaks volumes.'

The way it has become so overused these days speaks volumes about society's ability to express itself.

Gosh......there's a word that sounds ridiculous when it comes from an adult's mouth. I quit saying gosh when I was 5.

No disrespect to anyone who says it for religious reasons.

I dont get tired of phrases but more of the people using them.
Chris Berman. Stuart Scott.

The people who work with me would probably say "at the end of the day" I tend to use it a lot
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

O.K., I'll enter a "pet peeve" phrase of my own.

Making a statement opening with the following phrase drives me to distraction.

"As any intelligent person knows"-also phrased "as anyone with any sense knows", or "as anyone with (fill in the blank here) knows ."

I find it grossly condescending, arrogant, self-righteous and egotistical to pre-classify anyone who might disagree as being stupid, uneducated, or otherwise in some way inferior to whoever is making the statement.

O.K., I'll enter a "pet peeve" phrase of my own.

Making a statement opening with the following phrase drives me to distraction.

"As any intelligent person knows"-also phrased "as anyone with any sense knows", or "as anyone with (fill in the blank here) knows ."

I find it grossly condescending, arrogant, self-righteous and egotistical to pre-classify anyone who might disagree as being stupid, uneducated, or otherwise in some way inferior to whoever is making the statement.
The absolute worst is when someone does it, and everyone they re saying it to is well aware that the person saying it is the dumbest person in the room. Hearing it from the mouth of a teenager is like nails on a chalkboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.