• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

George Michael Blames Snyder for Skins Woes

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Here's something you don't hear every day. George Michael slamming Dan Snyder....

D.C. Sports Bog

George Michael on Why Fans Hate Snyderrato

There might not be a single person in Washington better able to understand the Redskins from both the fans' and ownership's point of view than George Michael. Of course, he's an inveterate homer and is pals with Daniel Snyder and has taken his cash and all that, but he also knows how to keep it real, when so inclined. Thursday was one of those times. During a massive 30-minute appearance on 106.7 The Fan's Mike Wise Show, Michael attempted to explain what's gone wrong in Ashburn.

"You all want to dump it on Dan Snyder," Michael said. "I understand that. I understand that. I don't think Dan does. I don't think he understands why people hate him so. The truth is--and I've got to give you full disclosure, everybody knows that I am friends with Dan Snyder, not in the sense that I'm in the tank for him, but he is a friend, I admit that. But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong. He doesn't even understand the things he does wrong. If the fans knew how bad he wants to win, they would go my God, he wants to win as much as I do."

To read more, click HERE

George Michael should stick to singing.

What?

Oh, that George Michael.

Nevermind.

So when does Dan fire himself?

GM has some interesting insight, but that story of why Dan can't figure out why people hate him,and he was pigeonholed by his neighbors as a jerk is bull****.

Snyder IS a jerk. That's why people hate him

Actually, to me, George painted one of the most hopeless pictures I could imagine. The whole thing sounds like an Abbott & Costello screen play. Without the humor.

It is Snyder's fault....look at all the things he's done that has screwed up the franchise and how many bridges he's burnt along the way.

The problem is that Snyder wants to make the splash and thinks this team is always "one big player" away from greatness.

Plus Snyder and the Redskins love to market this team and sell as much ads and makes as much money as possible.

Also, with Cerrato in place Snyder has an enabler who let's the boss do whatever he wants whenever he wants. If the Redskins had a real GM, that person one would hope would have the guts enough to tell the owner no........

The one that got me was how much Snyder "wants to win". The trouble is he doesn't know what it takes for an NFL team to win and, what's worse, he is so self-centered and arrogant-he won't listen to anyone else-his way is right because it's his way. The true test will be at what point, if indeed such a point exists, he finally realizes that every other owner in the NFL-every owner-even Jerry "The Buffoon" Jones-knows more about how to run a football team than he does.

Oh, and singling out Chris Horton as evidence of Vinny the C's football acumen was hilarious. What have you done for our OL, lately, eh, V.C.?

Actually, to me, George painted one of the most hopeless pictures I could imagine. The whole thing sounds like an Abbott & Costello screen play. Without the humor.

I'll never watch abbot and Costello again

OH, I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boy......................

It is a pretty depressing read when you get down to it.

GM has some interesting insight, but that story of why Dan can't figure out why people hate him,and he was pigeonholed by his neighbors as a jerk is bull****.

Yes he is a jerk. But jerks don't see themselves as jerks. Thus, that is why he can't understand why people hate him. He can't get it into his brain that he is the problem.

What annoys me is when people say Dan Snyder will do anything to win. That's completely false. He'll spend anything to win, but that's not the same thing. If he was really willing to do anything to win he would step away from personnel decisions and hire a real general manager. But he will only do that as a last resort, if he thinks his conduct has alienated so many fans that it is a threat to the franchise.

The fact is, Snyder did not buy the team to win Super Bowls. He wants to win Super Bowls, but that's not why he bought it. He bought it to run the front office and make personnel decisions. He bought the team for the same reason millions of people play fantasy football -- because it is fun to make personnel decisions and fun to imagine you're capable of making those decisions competently.

Snyder made it perfectly clear when he explained why he fired Marty Schottenheimer: He said he wasnt having any fun. And why wasn't he having any fun? Because he wasn't making the personnel decisions.

And, yes, Snyder is a jerk.

Also, with Cerrato in place Snyder has an enabler who let's the boss do whatever he wants whenever he wants. If the Redskins had a real GM, that person one would hope would have the guts enough to tell the owner no........

That is correct and Snyder keeps him around because he can control him. Snyder won't hire anyone that he can't control and no one, that could help this team by making competent decisions, will work for Snyder for that reason. It's hopeless to think about it. We'd all like to have a Bill Cowher but do you really think he wants to work for Snyder? That's that last thing he'd want to do, or anyone else who's qualified.

Yeah, the statement that Dan Snyder honestly can't figure out what is wrong ---- ummm, if I were Snyder I would be on the phone telling GM not to do me any favors, because it makes Snyder look like a Bafoon.

... ummm, if I were Snyder I would be on the phone telling GM not to do me any favors, because it makes Snyder look like a Bafoon.

I think that Snyder is doing a good enough job of this on his own! Look at my sig. That is a quote taken from Wikipedia in the 1st paragraph of the bio on Dan Snyder. I know Wiki is not the most reputable source, but it says a lot about how people view him. (It has since been removed)

The Redskins have become the laughing stock of the NFL on how not to run your organization if you want to be perennial SB contenders. Granted he makes money hand over fist, but we (the fans) want to win a SB! Those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's expect so much more.

Look, I am a photographer who goes out into the field (DC Metro area) every weekend to shoot kids sports, hundreds per day. I always inject a Hail to the Redskins or something to see how many kids bite. I pains me to say that I am only getting a mere 30% of the kids in this area who scream, "Redskins" when they hear that. That never occurred when I was a kid! I would wager that if I were to do that back when I was their age even before our fisrt SB victory it would have been 60-70%.

I would say this is a result of our mediocrity! Thanks Dan! Listen to George!

I know ego can blind a man, I have been unable to see on many occasions, but at some point one has to open their eyes!

Last edited:
Three things in this article really jumped out at me. The first was Michael's comment that Snyder doesn't understand why people hate him. Really? Really?

Dude starts off by firing business office staffers right and left after promising otherwise, repeatedly does everything he can to soak the fans, provides a lousy gameday experience, and to top it all off, he puts a crap product on the field. And then he's no idea why people don't like him? If he really doesn't understand the reason people detest him, he's got to have the IQ of a rutabaga...and I'm being overly generous.

Then there was the tidbit that confirmed what LaVar said about Snyder shaking the players hands after wins and glaring at them after losses. Even with all the very justified Snyder hating in the air this week, I took that comment with a grain of salt. I figured LaVar was just taking the opportunity to pile on and maybe boost his ratings a bit too. After all, no sane adult would do something that childish, counterproductive, and downright stupid. Would they?

What was I thinking to actually give Napoleon the benefit of the doubt on this? :wall: And in case any of you were wondering, yes I am in fact interested in purchasing some prime Everglades land with extensive riparian rights.

The last thing from the article was that Michael confirmed what many have suspected all along, namely that Snyder was behind many of the splashy :toilet: offseason moves we've made over the years. Big shocker there, but it was still worthwhile to get confirmation of it from a credible source with inside access.

Amazing. Every time I think I've heard it all about this moron....

Only point I'd make is that Arrington = childish primadonna prick and Snyder = egotistical asshole owner aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

Believe it.

All.

Only point I'd make is that Arrington = childish primadonna prick and Snyder = egotistical asshole owner aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

Believe it.

All.

Yeah, Boone, however I'd make one change in you equation. Arrington is the asshole. Snyder is the prick. The difference? Arrington doesn't even realize it. I think Snyder enjoys the role.

After revisiting the Michael podcast it sounds like an apologia. My lack of respect for George Michael has deepened also.

Snyder

At the beginning when Snyder first bought this time, I would accept that "he wanted to win as bad as anyone). He was young, he was buying a team that he had cheered for his entire life. It's a dream come true for anyone in the business world in that situation.

However as time went on, he proved he really did not learn anything from his mistakes. And he proved that he felt he knew all the answers and the right way of doing things. He wanted another "Gibbs" so badly that he played revolving door at the coaches' positions. And when Gibbs came back, suddenly Danny stepped out of the way. That was not respect as much as it was idolization of Gibbs and what he could do. Yes, he respected him, but he also put Gibbs up on a pedestal.

I am grateful that Gibbs came back for a second term even if it did not live up to the hoopla of what it could have been. With the Sean Taylor murder in the midst of all that, I personally would not have wanted any other coach in Washington at the time. Yes, we made the playoffs twice under Gibbs. The players started believing in him. Then he retired. Again. I have to believe family was a big part of that. Having seen his office, having seen the number of pictures of family around (if you did not know what office you were in, you would never guess it was a football coach's office.

In any event.. Gibbs leaves and Snyder then has to make all the decisions again. Is Gibbs still a "consultant".. and if so, does Danny still consult with him? I'm not convinced he is/does. I have a feeling there is some friction between Gibbs and Snyder but I can't prove it. It's just a gut feeling.

Now, yes, I blame a lot of this on Snyder. I wish we could find a reincarnation of Jack Kent Cooke. He was feisty, he was ornery, but daggone.. he wanted to win and knew how to win... and knew when to keep his nose out of personnel decisions.

Anyway.. that's my 2 cents for what it is worth nowadays.

HTTR.. they're my team win or lose.

Somebody needs to tell George that just because a guy is nice to a few close friends, it doesn't mean he's NOT a jerk.

Danny seems to have a "me against the world" attitude. No matter what we say about him, he says "eff them, it's my team and my money". He just doesn't get that when EVERYONE says the SAME thing, you don't ignore it. You take a look at yourself to see what you need to do differently. Him thinking he's now a football expert doesn't make it so.

As much as he may NOT want to do it, he needs to bring in some guys from outside his little circle to advise him. For the sake of the team, the fans and yourself, fire Vinny, step away and get a real football guy in charge the organization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.