• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Smoot Make It Back In Dual Role?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Fred Smoot's days as a regular starting corner in the NFL are over, but I am wondering with the annual roster numbers crunch whether Fred stays in 2010 as a free safety who then slides over as a nickel or dime corner?

I'm thinking this is likely if Kareem Moore and Lendy Holmes fail to impress Haslett in the offseason work before camp at FS.

Note I am crediting Shanahan and Haslett with enough sense to see that #30 is just not a fit there despite Cerrato and Blache's dreams to the contrary.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

While Landry has plenty enough speed to play FS, he simply doesn't have the instincts. As a corner, Smoot should be able to more readily adapt to FS. Maybe Haslett should make him take a geometry class because playing FS is a LOT about taking the correct angles. Fred may have lost a step but I'm hoping he's still fast enough to cover deep.

i like your thinking jimbo but does smoot have the speed to play FS?

i like that train of thought..

I think Smoot still has enough acceleration and straight line speed that he can be effective IF he learns to take proper angles and can keep from biting on double moves like Landry did. It takes recognition, instincts and discipline to excel as a FS. I think Shawn Springs could have made that transition had he been able to stay healthy. Perhaps Smoot can as well.

By the way, how healthy was Springs this year and should we be calling for Vinny's head on this one also?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.