• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

A lot of people acting like losing Fuller is going to set us back 10 years.
No...losing Cousins and NOT replacing him with someone like Alex Smith would have set us back 10 years...or more.
And perhaps Fuller was the only player that made this possible.

View attachment 3962

If Alex Smith is bringing Hunt and Kelce with him, he might be able to replicate those numbers.

We do not possess that type of offensive talent here.

And again, does your boy share ANY culpability for this "abuse"?

Any at all?

A Smidgen?

I haven't seen any reports yet about any input Gruden had on the decision. I doubt any. He's not stupid enough to offer what we did.

He'll plug him in, get whatever WRs we have open and make him successful.

Slept on it and I'm over it. I wouldn't expect to see any drop off in production at QB from Smith. Less INTs if his trend continues. Not at all happy about losing a young rising talent on defense, and I certainly have no faith in this FO that they couldn't have gotten the deal done differently, but it's done now. I think I'll try to remain open minded through off season to see how they address holes at other positions. Hopefully, the team is improved. I certainly won't miss the drama, and I'm convinced Kirk was only here the last two years to suck the guaranteed franchise teet. He never had any intention of signing a deal.

Agreed stevenaa, that pretty much sums up my sentiment as well. I will say for all the folks repeating the complaint that we don't have a Kelce et al to support Smith, I would merely say we did the year before in garcon and Jackson. That changed in a year but there's no reason with the extra cap space provided by Kirk's departure that we can't grab some extra skill players. The draft is always full of those kinds of players too. Whether our FO is savvy enough to find them is another debate though.

If Alex Smith is bringing Hunt and Kelce with him, he might be able to replicate those numbers.

We do not possess that type of offensive talent here.

True. He won't come anywhere near 13 pickles or 13 fumbles... ;)

I appreciate and respect all the opinions here, regardless of our feelings towards the Smith trade.

For myself personally, I have nothing against Alex Smith as a player. I also have absolutely no problems with cutting ties with Cousins. Kendall Fuller was a guy I praised week in and week out on game day chats here. Very tough to swallow seeing him go. . That being said, you hang onto the hope that a Fabian Moreau can follow a similar career path to Fuller and step up to the plate and replace his production as a defender. After all, we've all heard the talk last April about how Moreau easily could have been a 1st round selection had it not been for injuries. Time will tell I guess.

All this being said, after having some time to digest, I must honestly say I HATE the deal. The primary reason being that it has the awful stench of personnel blunders of the past. This move has the feel of the types of free agency acquisitions and trades of the past...your Deion's, Bruce's, Mcnabb's, you get the idea. As we all know, this was a past that was dark, gloomy, and downright awful to watch on Sundays.

At the end of the day, more than anything, I'm fearful of history repeating itself and me losing the energy and passion of being a Redskins fan. I don't want to go down that road again.

Just a daydreaming mentality mostly, but I wonder how much our future opponents will play into Kirk's decision to sign with a particular team. Of course most of them aren't shopping for a QB, so I highlighted the 2 only possible destinations. Even if it doesn't factor, you can bet it will be a prime time game, if he signs with one of those teams.

Our non-divisional opponents in 2018 :

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Green Bay Packers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
Arizona Cardinals

...All this being said, after having some time to digest, I must honestly say I HATE the deal. The primary reason being that it has the awful stench of personnel blunders of the past. This move has the feel of the types of free agency acquisitions and trades of the past...your Deion's, Bruce's, Mcnabb's, you get the idea. As we all know, this was a past that was dark, gloomy, and downright awful to watch on Sundays...

I'd be lying if I said I couldn't relate, brother, but a couple things that might shed some of the uncertainty:

1. In my obviously inexpert opinion, Smith has a lot more gas left in the tank than any of the three players you listed. I know there are others as well (Stubblefield and Haynesworth, Wilkinson - and those are just the DTs for crying out loud) but I don't see this going down in the same flames, and the reason for that is his play at Kansas City. We don't have wideouts? Heck, neither do they for the most part. What we do is a good pass catching back in Thompson and a decent WR in Crowder who are suited for the short to intermediate, possession-type throws that Gruden loves in his version of the WCO. Alex Smith is also built for the dumpoffs, checkdowns, call em what you will, as long as they move the sticks I'm just fine with it. He can throw a nice deep ball if we need him to but why? If we can use these RPOs to eat clock and score at the end of 8,9,10 play drives, more the better.

2. From everything I've been reading, and somebody please correct me if this is inaccurate, the deal sounds like it will be structured specifically so we AREN'T married to him for 4 or 5 years. I know just about every contract is the same, but we can easily go another direction by either bringing in a young QB to study and learn behind him, or another trade or FA down the road provided he's not getting er done, without taking an enormous cap hit after say year 2. That coupled with the break the bank money it would've taken to sign KC - which up until a week or so ago I still advocated - makes this a far more palatable scenario to me. Food for thought. Sure hope I'm right just this once.

I haven't seen any reports yet about any input Gruden had on the decision. I doubt any. He's not stupid enough to offer what we did.

He'll plug him in, get whatever WRs we have open and make him successful.

There you go! Finally a straight, albeit a 100% predictable answer.

Every good thing the team does is solely due to the brilliance of Gruden's coaching/management ability/ player and coaching evaluation.
While anything remotely negative is the all on The Bruce.

Funny shit, brother. Funny shit.

You make Bagdad Bob proud.

How would we shop Bree is he's a free agent ?
Sign and trade ?

Speaking of Bree, seeing all the other player reactions of disappointment,
I looked at Bree's twitter, which he's normally active on - and not a peep about losing his comrade.
That tells me, that maybe he's not coming back.

Sorry bout that - meant we may decide we don't want to re-sign him even with Fuller departure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting that there were many of Fuller's teammates that showed unhappiness with his departure on social media. To date I haven't seen one show any reaction to Cousins obvious departure.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Answer to the question is..Alex Smith...mic drop...time to move on, the new thread should be called "what pieces do we need niw" we didn't win shit with cousins, so this is worse some how. Sorry but our past hasn't been great since 91, why get hung up on this. Oh and SO had some brews after work.

Answer to the question is..Alex Smith...mic drop...time to move on, the new thread should be called "what pieces do we need niw" we didn't win shit with cousins, so this is worse some how. Sorry but our past hasn't been great since 91, why get hung up on this. Oh and SO had some brews after work.

What he said.

Fuller played poorly in his rookie year but he has become a very good slot corner, it was foolish to trade him. The only thing I wonder is if reid was saying he had better offers, because he was about to get rid of him anyway they want mahomes on the field. so either we overtraded or we overpaid lol either way it means cousins will go somewhere else so im ok with that because I dont want to give him a huge amount of money

Fuller played poorly in his rookie year but he has become a very good slot corner, it was foolish to trade him.

Well, typically trading partners are only going to want "good players" in compensation. It's the nature of the business. Doubt they would have jumped on an offer for Lauvao.

We need to be emotionally prepared to give up something good, to get something good.

It's just a question of will you be better overall, as a result.
It's a gamble. The sport is always a gamble. And you take the gambles that appear to work out in your favor, in the BIG PICTURE.
If all you focus on is losing Fuller, and no other aspect, then of course it's going to feel and look traumatizing.
How about we all agree to see how the entire thing plays out on the field, and in the standings, before passing final judgment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.