• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Coal Cares!

Lanky Livingston

http://coalcares.org/

:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

I'm hard pressed to think of better satire on the web.*

*Political satire**

**agenda driven***

***which is still funny

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2707452/posts

"Asthma, however, is not caused by coal, or the emissions from coal-fired power plants, as the president suggested. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) the true cause of asthma is unknown, although scientists believe it is caused by a confluence of genetic and environmental factors or early viral infections."

I counter your right-wing blog site with the NRDC:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/fasthma.asp

Understanding what might trigger an asthma attack helps asthma sufferers keep their disease in check. Sometimes it's as simple as avoiding dust, tobacco smoke or cockroach droppings. But what if the air outside your home is filled with asthma triggers?

In recent years, scientists have shown that air pollution from cars, factories and power plants is a major cause of asthma attacks. And more than 159 million Americans -- over half the nation's population -- live in areas with bad air. A research study published in 2002 estimated that 30 percent of childhood asthma is due to environmental exposures, costing the nation $2 billion per year. And studies also suggest that air pollution may contribute to the development of asthma in previously healthy people.

Directly from the NIH website:

The exact cause of asthma isn't known. Researchers think some genetic and environmental factors interact to cause asthma, most often early in life. These factors include:

An inherited tendency to develop allergies, called atopy (AT-o-pe)
Parents who have asthma
Certain respiratory infections during childhood
Contact with some airborne allergens or exposure to some viral infections in infancy or in early childhood when the immune system is developing

No, I call the free republic, the website you linked, a right-wing blog site.

But the website is not making the claim, the National Institute of Health is. They are quoting NIH!

Right, they are making the claim that there is uncertainty! A variety of factors, not coal in particular. No verifiable fact that coal alone causes asthma in children living near coal plants.

But the website is not making the claim, the National Institute of Health is. They are quoting NIH!

Don't be lazy, El. If the website is quoting NIH, find the NIH link. Which I did.

Regardless of causes of asthma, asthma attacks are well-documented to be caused by bad air quality. You know, the kind of air quality you'd find around a coal power plant.

Don't be lazy, El. If the website is quoting NIH, find the NIH link. Which I did.

Regardless of causes of asthma, asthma attacks are well-documented to be caused by bad air quality. You know, the kind of air quality you'd find around a coal power plant.

Oh...so you are jumping to the conclusion based on the probability factor when there has been no concrete data that has proven asthma in children who live near Coal plants is a direct result of coal and coal emissions like our President claims and your beloved "satire" infers. Even the National Institute of Health has said there is no direct link, only that there are a variety of factors, genetics being the most influential factor, in children with asthma.

Kinda like you jumping to the conclusion that the people on the plane the other day were rednecks because it was a flight from TN to NC?

Oh...so you are jumping to the conclusion based on the probability factor when there has been no concrete data that has proven asthma in children who live near Coal plants is a direct result of coal and coal emissions like our President claims and your beloved "satire" infers. Even the National Institute of Health has said there is no direct link, only that there are a variety of factors, genetics being the most influential factor, in children with asthma.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions; I'm presenting a hilarious website satirizing a power company that uses coal to generate their product. There is concrete data that bad air quality causes asthma attacks, which is what you would use an inhaler for, which is what the website satire is about.

Also, the website doesn't mention Obama and neither did I, just FYI. Not sure what relevance it is to bring him into the thread.

Kinda like you jumping to the conclusion that the people on the plane the other day were rednecks because it was a flight from TN to NC?

Really?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions; I'm presenting a hilarious website satirizing a power company that uses coal to generate their product. There is concrete data that bad air quality causes asthma attacks, which is what you would use an inhaler for, which is what the website satire is about.

Also, the website doesn't mention Obama and neither did I, just FYI. Not sure what relevance it is to bring him into the thread.

Really?

You say hilarious, I say agenda driven dishonesty! It is a direct attack against Coal energy and if you can't see that you are more blinded by your liberalism than I thought!

I bring Obama into the discussion because the satire you supplied and the President are offering false information. They both suggest there is a direct link between Coal Plants and asthma in children, when there is not! The National Institute of Health has stated there is no direct link. They claim it is a variety of factors, genetics being the biggest factor!

So what does this story have to do with the inference in the cartoon Lanky provided? Black lung is a legitimate concern for the men who go into those mines. No argument there.

The argument comes in when the President of the United States comes in and claims Coal Power Plants cause asthma in children and Lanky provides a "satire" which infers the same thing.

It is false! And the NIH has stated as much!

I put the site out there for discussion. It comes straight from the mining community itself.

Ok, the two of you can go back to debating.

So what does this story have to do with the inference in the cartoon Lanky provided? Black lung is a legitimate concern for the men who go into those mines. No argument there.

The argument comes in when the President of the United States comes in and claims Coal Power Plants cause asthma in children and Lanky provides a "satire" which infers the same thing.

It is false! And the NIH has stated as much!

1) Not a cartoon.

2)You continue to claim the website is inferring that coal plants directly cause asthma in children. You obviously haven't even read the website, because it in fact claims no such thing.

3) I've repeatedly said asthma attacks (for which inhalers are used to treat) have been shown to be caused by low air quality. For some reason you continue to ignore this fact - rightwing blinders? I'm not sure.

You say hilarious, I say agenda driven dishonesty! It is a direct attack against Coal energy and if you can't see that you are more blinded by your liberalism than I thought!

Uhh, of course it is. Coal is an extremely unhealthy energy source that is destroying our planet in more ways than one.

Uhh, of course it is. Coal is an extremely unhealthy energy source that is destroying our planet in more ways than one.

I'm done. I am pleased you admit it was agenda driven even if you won't admit that the NIH clearly dispels the assertion that there is a direct link between Coal Power Plants and asthma in children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.