• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Winning is most important. But why is it so bad to ask for the passing game to be competent?
Not asking for 350-500 yd games but is 250 too much to ask?
I love that we finally want to be a running team. But you at least need to be competent to back the defense out of the box so they just can't always tee off on the run.

Just to add on to this. I feel like the Redskins are clinging to Good Football by their fingernails. At any point the Magic Formula could shift ever-so-slightly and then we lose a string of games. That's what it feels like ... like we're almost about to be a Bad Team.

And I think that's because our offense is really terrible. I mean, if we were just a ... middle of the road passing team, I'd feel like we had actually joined the ranks of the Better Than Average group of teams in the league by now. As it stands, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Hopefully that never happens. We haven't had an 11-win season in 27 years. It would be cool to get one, no matter how it's got.

Just to add on to this. I feel like the Redskins are clinging to Good Football by their fingernails. At any point the Magic Formula could shift ever-so-slightly and then we lose a string of games. That's what it feels like ... like we're almost about to be a Bad Team.

And I think that's because our offense is really terrible. I mean, if we were just a ... middle of the road passing team, I'd feel like we had actually joined the ranks of the Better Than Average group of teams in the league by now. As it stands, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Hopefully that never happens. We haven't had an 11-win season in 27 years. It would be cool to get one, no matter how it's got.

I totally get this. That's why I worry ... losing our kicker (if that happens), or AP going down with an injury - it doesn't feel like it would take much to derail things. But the other thing we ignore is that there have plenty of close games where, had we been the team that made mistakes down the stretch, we could've easily lost. Yet it was us that forced the other guys into mistakes. That basically defines our 6 wins. That gives me some hope. While we have spent 20 years expecting disaster (and getting it most of the time), the players on this team haven't. I have a feeling some guys who haven't stepped it up to the degree we want might do so soon. Doctson is showing signs of breaking out. Bibbs as well.

We could also get healthier down the stretch, at least minimally so. Especially on offense, if we could get Crowder, Quinn, and CT back, that could also help. A big win this weekend, against a team we are supposed to lose to, would really set the tone for the rest of the stretch.

This is a shaky 6-3 team to me.

Our +11 in the turnover department is what has kept us afloat so far. What will be challenging are games like this coming weekend against a team in Houston that has a good defense as well as an offense with a mobile quarterback and two above average receivers.

On paper Houston is a better team. If the Redskins win the turnover battle by say 2-0 then that levels the playing field and all the talking heads will lose money betting against us again.

But if for some reason Smith throws a pick six or Peterson fumbles on our own side of the 50 then the Redskins are going to have a very difficult time winning this game.

Right now Dallas is the only healthy team in the NFC East. We play them on Thanksgiving.

That 6-3 record could easily be 6-5 in 2 weeks.

After seeing the Eagles lose 3/4 of their defensive backfield in the last 2 weeks, my eyes are telling me the Cowboys are the real competition in the NFC East.

Luckily they have games left against New Orleans and LA.

But beating Houston and/or Dallas in the next 2 weeks to me will show the Redskins are as much steak as sizzle.

Quinn is active and Holsey to the Practice Squad...

Mr. Irrelevant is relevant in Week 11 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all good, brother. I know you won't let my Homeritus get to you either.
We're a team!:thewave:

BTW, in my former life as a landscape gardener, there were many times I would spread big piles of steaming shit (we calls it....manure) throughout someone's garden, bringing forth food, and flowers, for the enjoyment of our people. Now, you are one of my people. And I will continue to fertilize your love for our team. With er um, manure?:cheesy:

You still crack me up after all these years brotha Ax! Don't ever change!!!

Good day all! What the hay....kick Houston's collective butts this weekend!

We want a Texas Hold Em (to no scores) the next two games!

Here in Tampa still, spending the week at Busch gardens with the lady, was rocking my old script R hat at the park today, had an older couple ask where to get one, response I had was, when Snyder realizes this symbol means winning....ffs please release them again, this hat is almost pink and smells like funky ass feet and corn chips it's so old.

Oh and SO's liver hates life right now

With Trey Quinn,
the team decides to go All In.

I'm up for a bet with Henry on how much production we get out of our second 7th rounder.

I don't like betting against Redskins ... However :)

3 receptions
40 yards
no TDs

He gets more than that in any two categories and you win.

3 receptions
40 yards
no TDs

Well I think he gets eased into the lineup and doesn't start or get a lot of snaps right away.
But when he becomes "full-time" and I believe that'll be this season, then I'll take that bet.

There's plenty of room for everyone's opinions, no matter what they are. I think what we have to watch out for (me as much as anyone) is getting so passionate about our beliefs/opinions that we cross over the line to harsh, mocking, or belittling of the other guys/gals ideas. I've done it. We've nearly all done it. And as @Henry (who's always been a little bit smarter, nicer, and good-looking than the rest of us) said the other day, it's just a game. And we should be friends first, football combatants second.

THAT right there proves you are a dumb, illiterate, chauvinistic, tyrannical S.O.B... I kid, brother. i kid because I love. I think-

Well I think he gets eased into the lineup and doesn't start or get a lot of snaps right away.
But when he becomes "full-time" and I believe that'll be this season, then I'll take that bet.

Fair enough. Let's say over the next three games.

(For the record, this isn't a bet. It's just an intellectual exercise. I'm rooting for him too but you have my permission to rub my face in it if he does it.)

The big issue is Gruden. His offensive system has proven to be very fragile over the years. A couple of injuries at skill positions reduces it's effectiveness, greatly.
A plethora of injuries and it grinds to a halt. Like now. Especially when combined with a new guy at QB.

Gruden's a "take what the defense gives us" kinda guy. Thereby allowing the opposing defense to dictate what we do.
Instead of imposing our will on them. If he guesses right, we have a better chance. If he guesses wrong, we have to almost solely rely on the defense to get it done.

Which happens far too often.

Come on Jay! Do better!

THAT right there proves you are a dumb, illiterate, chauvinistic, tyrannical S.O.B... I kid, brother. i kid because I love. I think-

It's like, you know me.

Spooky!

I think with Crowder out, Quinn and Harris are the only slot receivers we have. Not like we are throwing at a high rate any way, but I think Quinn is just what we need right now. He seems to be one of those guys who plays beyond his physical attributes, he's got great hands, and runs great routes. I'm betting he's a bigger part of things down the stretch than we think and surprises people.

I think with Crowder out, Quinn and Harris are the only slot receivers we have. Not like we are throwing at a high rate any way, but I think Quinn is just what we need right now. He seems to be one of those guys who plays beyond his physical attributes, he's got great hands, and runs great routes. I'm betting he's a bigger part of things down the stretch than we think and surprises people.

The one thing about the passing game that bothers me: Not featuring Reed and Davis.

I feel like Jay hasn't made them a focal point of the offense with the rest of the receiving corp banged up. I think Sprinkle has been under-utilized in the passing game too. IMO, he can get out on a route and can take advantage of some things too.

Sounds like it's possible that we'll have a starting trio of Doctson and Mo Harris on the outside, Quinn in the slot.

The one thing about the passing game that bothers me: Not featuring Reed and Davis.

I feel like Jay hasn't made them a focal point of the offense with the rest of the receiving corp banged up. I think Sprinkle has been under-utilized in the passing game too. IMO, he can get out on a route and can take advantage of some things too.

I think this is the problem, with the WR corps banged up the Defenses we are facing are making the TE's the focal point of stopping us. That's certainly what I'd do if I was a defensive co-ordinator.
Shut down Reed and Davis, make our Receivers prove they can haul in yards and make us a one dimensional running team. I suspect that's what we're seeing with the offensive struggles.

Especially now Richardson is gone. We have no real deep threat that can create any separation.

In years past we had Garcon and DJax that could create separation over the top, Crowder kept them honest and allowed room for Reed to operate. Thompson and Davis then added to the headache for opposing pass defences.

Now all they really need to worry about is Reed and Davis. Shut them down and essentially you've stymied our passing game.

This is where we need Crowder back, Quinn in and producing and Doctson to continue his development and break out. MoHarris is also I think now going to start being a guy they need to pay attention to. In some ways it's now a shame our O-line is beaten up so badly. I'm hoping they can play beyond their talent level and give Alex time to throw (they did admirably against the Buccs last week with little practice time together) because as we start to get more and more weapons back (or developed) that will demand a defences attention we could have seen an uptick.

Thing that's killing us noticeably is penalties. It's so annoying.

How many times have we seen us get to 3rd and short, then bust out a big play only to have it pulled back by a penalty? Was it Bibbs or Peterson this week that had a 40 yard run or whatever brought back? It happens far too much and that seems to me the main culprit for killing our drives. We do it at the worst times and leave ourselves in 3rd and 20 and similar, and without deep threats we have little chance in those situations.

I feel it's very much on the players to limit penalties and for the WR Corps to start making defences take them seriously. Then we'll see an uptick. Crowder and Quinn I think can help with that.

Well, if Trey Quinn turns into half the receiver some are building him up to be this draft class with Payne already excelling is going to look really good 🤗

Seriously.

I heard Chris Cooley talk for 15 minutes about how Quinn as a rookie ran better routes and had better anticipation than any of the veterans in camp and the preseason and has above average hands.

Gruden wanted to draft him in Round 4 in place of Troy Apke.

Shame the front office didn't listen to him.

Gruden also lobbied for the 2016 pick of Matt Ioannidis who now has 7.5 sacks in the 3-4 in 9 games.

3 receptions
40 yards
no TDs

Fair enough. Let's say over the next three games.

(For the record, this isn't a bet. It's just an intellectual exercise. I'm rooting for him too but you have my permission to rub my face in it if he does it.)

So he only needs to reach the totals in your first post, as an aggregate sum of the 3 games, as opposed to totaling them in just one game ?

I'm down.
And let's make this fun. Instead of me just rubbing it in, let's do a Roast Henry thread, and get everyone involved. The more, the merrier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.