• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Thoughts

This guy flew his drone over some Alaskan lakes and rivers. Trying to tell you guys how beautiful it is falls short, here's video proof.

Cool stuff.
Ya'd think with a drone in Alaska they'd eventually come up with some amazing bear shots.
I can just see a bear standing high on his hind legs, tryin to swat a drone down, much like King Kong and the NY airplanes.

So I wanted to ask for some feedback about a letter I received at home from my employer in order to decide if my thought process is unreasonable or not. The letter I received was soliciting my participation in a type two diabetes research study. Normally I wouldn't give this a second thought and would just put that letter in the trash. But this letter stated that in order to avoid being contacted by the research project leaders I would have to return a postcard within two weeks. I think that's a weird way to solicit participation in a research study, and I guess my libertarian sensibilities are irked by having to opt out of a research study I have not expressed interest in. The other question I have is why I received this solicitation to begin with. With my hospital having just transitioned to new ownership with this healthcare organization, I had to participate in lab work (purportedly to determine need for vaccination) like all other employees. So one of the questions I have is whether or not I'm receiving this solicitation because of the results of that bloodwork. I don't know that to be the case, but it raises my curiosity. I'm in the process of complaining about this process with my employer, and I'm trying to decide if I'm overreacting or being overly sensitive? Btw, I don't have diabetes nor pre-diabetes to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be much more passive-aggressive about it. I'd just throw it away and pretend I never saw it, and if they followed up I'd say no thanks I never saw it.

I'd be much more passive-aggressive about it. I'd just throw it away and pretend I never saw it, and if they followed up I'd say no thanks I never saw it.

I have too much of my Dad in me. Part of it if I'm being honest is that I disapprove of the way our new ownership operates in general, so I'm predisposed to seeing things in the worst possible light.

Not long for this employer so it's likely wasted energy.

I'm going to take your advice even if it wasn't offered as such :)

Is there a return email address on the letter? You should write them back that you just deposited a stool sample to your lab per the project director's guidance. I'm betting they quit contacting you when you say you used your favorite tupperware to ferry said sample. Especially if you ask to be reimbursed for it

I love it!

So I wanted to ask for some feedback about a letter I received at home from my employer in order to decide if my thought process is unreasonable or not. The letter I received was soliciting my participation in a type two diabetes research study. Normally I wouldn't give this a second thought and would just put that letter in the trash. But this letter stated that in order to avoid being contacted by the research project leaders I would have to return a postcard within two weeks. I think that's a weird way to solicit participation in a research study, and I guess my libertarian sensibilities are irked by having to opt out of a research study I have not expressed interest in. The other question I have is why I received this solicitation to begin with. With my hospital having just transitioned to new ownership with this healthcare organization, I had to participate in lab work (purportedly to determine need for vaccination) like all other employees. So one of the questions I have is whether or not I'm receiving this solicitation because of the results of that bloodwork. I don't know that to be the case, but it raises my curiosity. I'm in the process of complaining about this process with my employer, and I'm trying to decide if I'm overreacting or being overly sensitive? Btw, I don't have diabetes nor pre-diabetes to my knowledge.

I think I'd have the same concerns you do. What's next? Microchips?

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2018/november/uk-firms-ready-to-microchip-employees-forced-surrender-of-privacy-for-security

Don't jump to conclusions too fast Boone. My wife was an employee for a period at a hospital. Nice people. Rather inept at the business end of things.

Let's work on the assumption that they are marketing you to participate in some activity.

This could be as intrusive as you hint, but it also strikes me as in line with current practices by many business enterprises. I, for one, cannot convey how much I detest these contracts in which if one doesn't decline service at the completion of the contract period the service is automatically continued. Not quite the same with your sitiuation, but in a similar family of practices. It could be that these folks are poorly advised/have limited business sense.

Nothing like a 7.0 earthquake to start the day and then **** the traffic up in a 100 mile radius.

Nothing like a 7.0 earthquake to start the day and then **** the traffic up in a 100 mile radius.

What? All the dogs get freaked and won't pull the sleds?

Question for the more computer literate of the gang: when I'm using WiFi to download something, regardless of the bandwidth, the rate always seems to rise, then dip, then sometimes cut out altogether before starting up again. Why, pray tell, is that? Thanks in advance for the replies. Cheers.

Question for the more computer literate of the gang: when I'm using WiFi to download something, regardless of the bandwidth, the rate always seems to rise, then dip, then sometimes cut out altogether before starting up again. Why, pray tell, is that? Thanks in advance for the replies. Cheers.

Would need more info on the architecture/configuration. Wi Fi, btw, is likely only your AP/LAN - rest arrives over your cable provider infrastructure. Shared line? Rate limits? Traffic management? TCP window? Protocol used to manage downloads?

Would need more info on the architecture/configuration. Wi Fi, btw, is likely only your AP/LAN - rest arrives over your cable provider infrastructure. Shared line? Rate limits? Traffic management? TCP window? Protocol used to manage downloads?

Ohmigosh. Let's pretend, just for a sec, that your questioner is, uh, a drywall carpenter whose knuckles drag the ground when he walks. In other words, not the sharpest cat on the block. I would love to give you more details if I understood even one of the questions you just posed. (beats chest and stands over fallen pc)...but I cannot.

Ohmigosh. Let's pretend, just for a sec, that your questioner is, uh, a drywall carpenter whose knuckles drag the ground when he walks. In other words, not the sharpest cat on the block. I would love to give you more details if I understood even one of the questions you just posed. (beats chest and stands over fallen pc)...but I cannot.

Not messin with ya Dude! There's a lotta variables involved. You have issues when streaming stuff like video?

So....

Your experience isn't unique. A number of factors could be influencing download times:

1. The size of buffers/windows at the network protocol or application layer. When they fill, a download can suspend until more space is created/cleared.
2. Method employed to validate that no changes have occurred to the downloaded file(s) can be very CPU intensive.
3. CPU availability.
4. Network availability - your Airport may be exclusive to you but the pipe into it may be shared (e.g., DSL) or bounded by the provider.
5. Size of the files being downloaded plays into the other factors.

If you have some sort of monitor (e.g., windows task manager with resource monitors) you can watch your network activity as well as CPU utilzation (by process) to see if there are any resource hogs or "slow" players. Try downloads at different times (e.g., late at night when utilization is apt to be lower at the provider end - assuming they are located in the same or near time zone). Check if you have security apps (beyond the previously mentioned security/integrity checker) that might be inspecting the flows.

Heck, I have a windows machine running right now that has been choking on a 1.4 meg MS patch for over an hour. Depending on how routing/quality assurance is set up on the network, the slowest link in the path can gum up the works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not messin with ya Dude! There's a lotta variables involved. You have issues when streaming stuff like video?

So....

Your experience isn't unique. A number of factors could be influencing download times:

1. The size of buffers/windows at the network protocol or application layer. When they fill, a download can suspend until more space is created/cleared.
2. Method employed to validate that no changes have occurred to the downloaded file(s) can be very CPU intensive.
3. CPU availability.
4. Network availability - your Airport may be exclusive to you but the pipe into it may be shared (e.g., DSL) or bounded by the provider.
5. Size of the files being downloaded plays into the other factors.

If you have some sort of monitor (e.g., windows task manager with resource monitors) you can watch your network activity as well as CPU utilzation (by process) to see if there are any resource hogs or "slow" players. Try downloads at different times (e.g., late at night when utilization is apt to be lower at the provider end - assuming they are located in the same or near time zone). Check if you have security apps (beyond the previously mentioned security/integrity checker) that might be inspecting the flows.

Heck, I have a windows machine running right now that has been choking on a 1.4 meg MS patch for over an hour. Depending on how routing/quality assurance is set up on the network, the slowest link in the path can gum up the works.

Thanks brother. Didn't mean to appear flippant with my response. I appreciate the intel.

Which 70's band is greater, Queen or Black Sabbath?

Which 70's band is greater, Queen or Black Sabbath?

Black Sabbath. Why would you even think there is a question here! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Totally different kinds of music imho. I don't think there's any question which band was more popular... but as to better?

On a side note, am I the only one who watched 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and felt 'meh' about it? First of all, they overdid the teeth on whoever the lead actor was. I felt like I was watching 'Matt Dillon' in 'There's Something About Mary' (the bigger the better!). It was really distracting to me. Secondly, I had Freddie Mercury in my mind as a badass rebel who didn't give a shit what anyone thought about him. But they made him out to be a whiny wuss in the movie. I really wasn't impressed but I guess I'm the only one.

Totally different kinds of music imho. I don't think there's any question which band was more popular... but as to better?

On a side note, am I the only one who watched 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and felt 'meh' about it? First of all, they overdid the teeth on whoever the lead actor was. I felt like I was watching 'Matt Dillon' in 'There's Something About Mary' (the bigger the better!). It was really distracting to me. Secondly, I had Freddie Mercury in my mind as a badass rebel who didn't give a shit what anyone thought about him. But they made him out to be a whiny wuss in the movie. I really wasn't impressed but I guess I'm the only one.

I didn't watch. I like some of Queen's music, Mercury was a talent...but I have no interest in the biopic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.