• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Daniel Snyder: "I let people down"

Sarge

Guess those empty yellow seats are starting to hurt

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/daniel_snyder_i_let_people_dow.html

Next Tuesday, ESPN's E:60 will air a long piece about Daniel Snyder, built around several extensive conversations between ESPN's Rachel Nichols and the owner. I'll have more about this next week, but in the meantime, the network has put out this trailer from the piece, with a few of the better quotes.

"I feel the last two years I let people down," Snyder told Nichols. "It's awfully embarrassing....I feel bad. And Bruce Allen's always busting my chops, he says stop apologizing all the time, you're driving me crazy with apologizing."

Later, Snyder talked to Nichols about his early years with the Skins.

Is E:60 a show, or is that another ESPN network? Never heard of it.

I think it's a show. That's how it came up on FIOS when I searched for it.

It's a show. They have done some really good ones. They did one on Len Bias, of course that was heart wrenching. His mother is one of the strongest human beings I have ever seen! And they did one called the 2 Pablos. It was about Pablo Escobar and the Pablo who was on the Colombian soccer team who scored against his own team in the 94 World cup. When he returned to Colombia after that humiliating loss, he was killed in a night club by one of Escobar's hench men.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this interview. Of course I am dismayed by what a complete mess he has created in DC. I was one who was calling for the chopping block, but a man like me should always give others a second chance. His publicist certainly has him doing the right things, I only hope it is genuine. proof is in the pudding!

OK, I never watch the 4-letter network, but I've set my DVR for Tuesday. Look forward to watching it later.

All we can hope is that THIS time he means it when he says he's learned from his mistakes.

Thanks for the heads up on the show.

You know, I can’t count the number of times I’ve thought about being able to go back in time and give my younger self advice. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had just had the wisdom to zig when I zaged.

I don’t know Dan Snyder. All I "know" of the man is what I hear from acquaintances and I’ve seen on TV or read in the papers. I’m not going to defend Dan any further than to say that from that information it’s impossible to get an accurate picture of the true man. Is he the tyrant or the humble humanitarian? It all depends on the filter the information comes through. No offense intended to those with direct personal experiences.

All I can ever ask of the guy is to do his best to take care of a team that’s so dear to all of us. I think he’s tried, perhaps even too hard to make the team a winner by doing things the way he knows how, being demanding, taking direct control and spending money. He’s been wrong……a lot. Only a fool makes the same bad decisions over and over expecting different results. Dan might be a little slow on the uptake but he’s no fool. Allen and Shanahan were good football moves and follow a different path from the one he’s taken previously. Maybe he's getting it now. I sure as hell hope so.

nice, I think Dan has always had the right intentions but just not the best way to get to that goal. he thought he could buy a team, he thought he could bring in hot shots and they would just fit right in and work but obviously thats never the case in the NFL.

maybe allen has come along and shown him something he needed to see. my hope is that he continues to do like he is right now and just sit back and let the people with the know how run the show.

Mike! Where ya been, buddy?

After we beat the Iggles I thought you'd be here just whoopin' an' hollerin'.

I got kinda worried when I didn't see you around-glad to se ya, man. :)

thanks bro!!

i was in Vegas for 5 days and in NO shape to log in to anything to type. But believe me I was representing for the Skins nation in Sin City. Put my yearly 10 dollar bet down for us to win it all.

good to see you too

Man, 5 days in Vegas is brave!

to this day......I've never understood the Zorn hire. what was he thinking? A truly bizarre episode in the annals of NFL ownership.

to this day......I've never understood the Zorn hire. what was he thinking? A truly bizarre episode in the annals of NFL ownership.

Yeah, I have to agree wih you there. Not Zorn in and of himself, if he was convinced that Zorn was the answer. More the way he went about hiring him as the OC first. Then it seemed like he got rejected by every available coach and settled? Truly strange.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

If I recall correctly he got both OC and DC before he hired a coach. what coach is going to want to come in to that situation? I guarantee Zorn saw it as an opportunity to step up and polish up the ol football resume and when nobody else wanted it he was given it.

snyder screwed up there but it wasnt malicious i dont think. he just isnt a football smart guy. he is a business and money genius but not a football man.

agree with you Mike it wasn't malicious. I just can't wrap my mind around ramping up a guy who was a QB coach to the top spot in about 2 weeks! also agree about other coaches not wanting to come in with the key positions on the staff already set. just a very bizarre way of doing business.

Let's face it, no matter who the coach is, there are critical moments in a season where it can all fall apart. Being able to recognize those moments and keep a team making forward progress - that's what separates successful coaches from failed ones. Zorn just didn't know how to manage his players in the way guys like Gibbs and Shanahan instinctually can.

I've said it a hundred times. Gibbs was brought in to right the ship (we he was largely successful in doing). To turn the ship over to a guy who'd never been in the wheelhouse before - on a hope and a prayer that he'd be another Joe Gibbs diamond-in-the-rough find - well, that was just a desperate act. Zorn was in way over his head, and anyone with any sense could've predicted he would be.

Zorn? Who is this Zorn you speak of? I have no recollection of him. ;)

So ... did anyone watch the piece? Reviews?

Let's face it, no matter who the coach is, there are critical moments in a season where it can all fall apart. Being able to recognize those moments and keep a team making forward progress - that's what separates successful coaches from failed ones. Zorn just didn't know how to manage his players in the way guys like Gibbs and Shanahan instinctually can.

I've said it a hundred times. Gibbs was brought in to right the ship (we he was largely successful in doing). To turn the ship over to a guy who'd never been in the wheelhouse before - on a hope and a prayer that he'd be another Joe Gibbs diamond-in-the-rough find - well, that was just a desperate act. Zorn was in way over his head, and anyone with any sense could've predicted he would be.

yup...which gets back to the process that was followed...and who directed it!

I was rooting around on youtube to see if I could find a clip from the Snyder interview, and happened on an interview that took place when Snyder purchased the team. Pretty interesting from a couple of vantage points - firstly, in how open he was then. Can you imagine an interview like this anytime over the past 5 years? Secondly, he sounds a lot more like the fan-turned-owner we've all been sold on over the years, vs. the cutthroat guy just out to sell everything he can with a Skins logo on it. Be interesting to view this interview side by side with the last nights...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtOW2AnAjM[/media]

So ... did anyone watch the piece? Reviews?

Here is the entire piece Om:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDnN-WAYbs[/media]

Thanks brother. Despite ESPN's maudlin presentation, a piece that resonates. I think anyone who comes to it with an open mind can appreciate that there is an actual flesh and blood human being there. Given how we are force-fed opinions in sound bytes and cliches 24/7/365 these days, that has gotten lost somewhere along the way in the last few years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.