• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Pat Tillman to be a Hall of Famer?

BGO

Whenever Memorial Day rolls around the nation pays its respect to the fallen heroes and ones that still carry ...

More...

Nice sentiment, stupid idea.

Pat Tillman died fighting with courage in the name of his country. Just like countless others before him who were not professional football players. That's not taking anything away from the fact that given the choice between safety, fame, and riches, or commitment, belief, and danger, he chose the latter. But putting him in the Hall of Fame because of it?

Pretty silly.

Tillman's service and sacrifice were recognized by his brothers in arms, as they should've been. Football and a call to duty should never be confused with one another, not even when the best of intentions drive the urge.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Actually, he was already in the hall as he should be. His jersey was enshrined and part of a display with his bio. Does he deserve to have a bust? I am gonna have to agree with Boone here. I applaud the man and his character, but he did not do enough on the football field to warrant a bust.

Last edited:
I liked Pat Tillman, respected him as a player and very proud of his service and sacrifice.....but he's not a HOFer.

The Cards. should have him in their ring of fame or whatever they do and retire his #. Should he be in Canton as a HOFer......no.

I respected him and thought he was a good player started repecting him even more when he joined the Army and gave up millions but like the others have said he is no hall of famer

Nah. Decent player. Good soldier. But like everyone else said, not a long enough or distingushed enough football career to be at Canton

As Peter King has repeatedly said, the Hall of Fame is for on field accomplishments. If all the rotten stuff done by so many others (Taylor and Irving come to mind) can't keep them OUT of Canton, I see no reason that exemplary behavior away from football should get someone in.

Gotta agree with the above posters.

No reason that he should be in the HOF.

Everyone respects his decision to leave and fight for his country, but he doesn't belong in the Hall.

I'll echo the consensus. Isn't his display honor enough as far as the NFL is concerned? Voting him to the HOF for real would not only cheapen the HOF voting process, but IMHO it would tarnish his memory slightly.

IMO, Pat Tillman is already in a much more meaningful Hall of Fame.

IMO, Pat Tillman is already in a much more meaningful Hall of Fame.
Well put! He did a wonderful thing for his country, but that's irrelevant when it comes to his football accomplishments. He was a good player, not a great one, and in no way is worthy of the PFHOF.

As Peter King has repeatedly said, the Hall of Fame is for on field accomplishments. If all the rotten stuff done by so many others (Taylor and Irving come to mind) can't keep them OUT of Canton, I see no reason that exemplary behavior away from football should get someone in.

+1 That's EXACTLY how I feel about it. That said, I'd be OK with folks being kept out for things like Murder etc. If it would have gotten ya kicked out of the league it should be enough to keep ya from the Hall.

Like everyone else, Tillman's story is great. He should be honored every Memorial Day. Had he stayed in NFL may have had a HOF career. He wasn't HOF material when he left.

Some great points made about guys like Taylor and Irvin. If NFL can kick you out of the league for disgracing the shield, wonder if HOF will ever do the same?

I agree with all of the above posts, he was a great player on the field, I respect what he did off it, but he is no HOF'er.

I agree that Tillman should not be a HOFer. I hope the display currently in the hall stays there forever. But while he was a great man, he was just a very good football player. And the Hall wasn't built to honor "very good."

That being said, I am more than happy to hold up Pat Tillman as a guy my kids should aspire to be like. Not only did he turn down millions to defend this land we all love so much, he also turned down more money to play in St. Louis; to stay loyal to the team that drafted him.

Pat Tillman epitomized duty, honor, country, and class. Unfortunately, the HOF isn't the place we honor those traits. All too often, it's Arlington National Cemetery.

RIP #40. :wings:

in before close!! sorry, had to do that.

they should have a section in the hall for players who do so much for the community. like warrick dunn, curtis martin, darrell green, etc. they could name it the pat tillman wing even.

I would be on board with this idea

Last edited:
Nice post HH - lots of good ones here. :cheers:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.