• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN: Clayton--Free Agency Winners And Losers

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Winners

3. Washington Redskins: Give the Redskins credit for scrambling. As free agency opened, the Redskins were given a $36 million salary-cap deduction over two years for front-loading the contracts of Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall before the 2010 uncapped season. That didn't stop owner Dan Snyder from being aggressive. Scrambling is going to be a big part of the Redskins' future after Snyder gave up three first-round picks and a second-rounder to be in position to draft Robert Griffin III. The Redskins went 2-for-3 in upgrading the receiving corps, adding Pierre Garcon as a downfield threat and Josh Morgan as a possession receiver. They tried to get Eddie Royal, but the San Diego Chargers landed him. That still gives coach Mike Shanahan the option of keeping Santana Moss and using him in the slot. On Thursday, the Redskins added hard-hitting safety Brandon Meriweather.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7695475

Given the circumstances, I think we did well. I'm concerned that we haven't seen more energy in shoring up the O-Line, and although Meriweather's not a bad addition, can't quite figure out what our plans are for strengthening the defensive backfield?

Of course, there's always what remains of our draft :)

When was the last time we had a "downfield threat" at the WR position? The Monday Night Miracle was 7 years ago!

7 years of an offense that didn't scare anyone! I haven't been able to stop smiling for the last week.

From the first time I watched Pierre Garcon, the name Gary Clark kept popping into my mind. We've got a gamer. And a young one at that.

Still waiting for Fletch to sign, but hearing that it's his agent being a jackwagon.

I'd like for us to take a serious look at Reggie Nelson. That could have us set at safety.

The OL sounds like it would be a serious target in the draft.

A solid player that could fall to the 4th or 5th round is Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia. His stock dropped only because he is about an inch shorter than reported and he had a sub-par showing at the combine. This could be a good steal for the Redskins if they are unable to sign Aaron Ross.

I just got done readin Neo's post in the thread about the perception of the Redskins league wide(even Redkins fans). Then I see Clayton make a statement like this,

"...That didn't stop owner Dan Snyder from being aggressive..."

Clayton should know better. One would think he'd know better, wouldn't they? It makes me wonder if they use Snyder's name just to sell. It was Allen and Shanahan being aggressive John!

Edit: I have to wonder what is going on with Reggie Nelson, isn't he one of the top rated safeties in the league?

nelson would be a solid pickup, I think that we resign Landry to a much cheaper contract than he was looking for, his free agency tour hasnt been as popular as he thought it would be.

I think every team knows that Landry's achilles is iffy right now and nobody want to throw anything more than a one-year deal at him to see how he holds up. I'm not so sure Shanahan even wants him back, healthy or not.

I'd be a little worried about Meriweather if it weren't for Raheem Morris. I'm sure he had some input into this decision.

I think we need to move on at safety. No more drama with Landry.

He didn't manage his rehab the way the doctors insisted it needed to be and he has missed the better part of 2 seasons soaking up dollars for very little work on the field.

He gambled and lost on the big contract.

I think we need to move on at safety. No more drama with Landry.

He didn't manage his rehab the way the doctors insisted it needed to be and he has missed the better part of 2 seasons soaking up dollars for very little work on the field.

He gambled and lost on the big contract.

:clap2: Well said.

I think moving away from Landry and hopefully, Hall, sends a message to the youth on the team that the team has changed and will continue to do so. The days of Snyder protecting "his players" from the coaching staff are over. :ciao:

That didn't stop owner Dan Snyder from being aggressive. Scrambling is going to be a big part of the Redskins' future after Snyder gave up three first-round picks and a second-rounder to be in position to draft Robert Griffin III.

E get out of my head! ;) I had the same thoughts....I get the beat writers out west etc. not getting this right but there's absolutely no excuse for this stuff from the likes of Clayton at this point. He and others like him are exactly why this reputation of ours is changing at a snail's pace...people like Clayton keep reporting "Snyder was aggressive!". No he wasn't, Allen was and if you check, you'll find Snyder's been absent to the degree of being out of the country quite often when our FO makes a move. The dude was partying on his yacht when we made the trade up, not down in the War room with his hands on everything.

On Landry, unless we find more talent in the draft than what we've got, I'd favor signing Landry to an incentive laden 1 year deal and if he proves he can stay healthy and contribute then go from there. Griffin and Meriweather not only don't impress me they make me nervous based on track record. Our secondary needs an overhaul/upgrade almost as badly as our O line.

The lack of any OLine activity tells me they are either confident in what is here, or their plan for that is the draft. I don't think it's a concern, given Shanahans history. I'm content to let it play out.

The lack of any OLine activity tells me they are either confident in what is here, or their plan for that is the draft. I don't think it's a concern, given Shanahans history. I'm content to let it play out.

I'm sure there will be some draft picks invested in the OL.

I'm sure there will be some draft picks invested in the OL.

I am too, Lanky. Although, for the sake of balance and reality, I am compelled to point out that I thought there would be some draft picks invested in the OL nearly ever year since Samuels was drafted.

Last edited:
Well, I still think it was a mistake not to add a solid veteran under 30 for the OL who could be a second anchor along with Trent Williams going forward.

Some of the other guys we have like Lichtensteiger and Montgomery are 100% effort guys but look to be backups on a really good team that is set to challenge for anything in the postseason.

In addition I doubt any picks in Rounds 3 or 4 are going to be ready right away to help fill the oozing morass we have now at RT.

Jammal Brown for $9M guaranteed after what he didn't produce in 2010 and 2011, is still a mystery that no one has explained to me. The Redskins were negotiating against themselves last offseason.

After looking at last year's results I would be tempted to go with Tyler Polumbus at RT rather than Brown.

And when you come to the point where you might entertain starting a guy that came in as a street free agent during the season the next year, you know either you found a rare gem or simply failed miserably in upgrading the spot.

Some of the other guys we have like Lichtensteiger and Montgomery are 100% effort guys but look to be backups on a really good team that is set to challenge for anything in the postseason.

I keep seeing this - while its certainly possible they wouldn't start anywhere else, how can you be sure? I think they'd at least be given the opportunity to compete for a starting job elsewhere.

In addition I doubt any picks in Rounds 3 or 4 are going to be ready right away to help fill the oozing morass we have now at RT.

We had a 7th-rounder start a handful of games and perform admirably towards the end of the year, why wouldn't a 3rd or 4th rounder be able to contribute?

Jammal Brown for $9M guaranteed after what he didn't produce in 2010 and 2011, is still a mystery that no one has explained to me. The Redskins were negotiating against themselves last offseason.

Wasn't he awarded the contract btw the 2010 and 2011 seasons? He's an elite talent, but the hip is not healing as he would like. I'm going to reserve judgement until after this season. Maybe he's finally at 100%.

1. I base my supposition about Lichtensteiger and Monty on the premise that both players were drafted by other teams and have been cut and bounced around the league for at least a couple of years and came here ostensibly for depth purposes. The fact both players have become starters here to me seems to be as much a factor of the lack of competition rather than a case of two players simply maturing into productive veterans.

2. Middle round picks should be able to contribute some their rookie seasons, either on ST or in the regular offense as depth players. Occasionally they do start. But the vast majority of middle picks do sit for awhile before working themselves into an offensive or defensive starting role. We started Smith and Hurt last year as fallback options and while neither player fell flat on his face we did not protect the qb well at times when these players were on the field. After the season, John Keim noted that the Redskins indicated that Hurt needed to get in shape to play regularly in the NFL. Smith still has a long way to go as a UDFA to be a guy you count on.

3. Jammal Brown used to be an elite talent. We have now proceeded through two full seasons of action since Brown had the surgery and he continues to have issues with the hip. After the 2010 season, one in which Jammal missed several games and limped his way through several others, there really was no one else out there that was going to give him a large bonus to come in and play for them. Look at the current free agents who have signed. Healthy players that are going to be starters on their new clubs are getting the kind of bonus Jammal got. Again, it appears to me as if we paid too much up front, his deal should have included more incentives and less cash bonus.

1. I base my supposition about Lichtensteiger and Monty on the premise that both players were drafted by other teams and have been cut and bounced around the league for at least a couple of years and came here ostensibly for depth purposes. The fact both players have become starters here to me seems to be as much a factor of the lack of competition rather than a case of two players simply maturing into productive veterans.

Fair enough, but Lich was drafted by Shanahan and then cut when he (and his system) left. So, I think Shanahan always envisioned him as a starter. Montgomery was a 7th-round pick; yes he was cut by a couple teams, but I'm sure he's not the only OL in the NFL to have been cut once or twice. Sometimes players take awhile to get situated.

2. Middle round picks should be able to contribute some their rookie seasons, either on ST or in the regular offense as depth players. Occasionally they do start. But the vast majority of middle picks do sit for awhile before working themselves into an offensive or defensive starting role. We started Smith and Hurt last year as fallback options and while neither player fell flat on his face we did not protect the qb well at times when these players were on the field. After the season, John Keim noted that the Redskins indicated that Hurt needed to get in shape to play regularly in the NFL. Smith still has a long way to go as a UDFA to be a guy you count on.

I'm just saying, if pressed into duty, I think our mid-round picks will do fine based on the fact that our 7th-rounder did fine last year. Yes, he needs to get in shape (and hopefully he did so this offseason), however I don't think that's relevant in regards to this discussion.

3. Jammal Brown used to be an elite talent. We have now proceeded through two full seasons of action since Brown had the surgery and he continues to have issues with the hip. After the 2010 season, one in which Jammal missed several games and limped his way through several others, there really was no one else out there that was going to give him a large bonus to come in and play for them. Look at the current free agents who have signed. Healthy players that are going to be starters on their new clubs are getting the kind of bonus Jammal got. Again, it appears to me as if we paid too much up front, his deal should have included more incentives and less cash bonus.

Again, we shall see. Maybe it was a huge misstep, maybe he'll bounce back. I suppose we just have to hope for the best. There's also probably a very good chance he is cut or restructured this offseason.

As I said in another thread, RG3 compares to only one NFL QB from the past - John Elway. Some of you disagreed and vehemently so - but it is all good. :)

I came across this article and it talks about the winners and losers in FA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fanta...chem-tops-list-biggest-winners-142644540.html

Robert Griffin III, QB
Former Team: Baylor
New Team: Washington (expected)

Fantasy Spin: Prior to 2011, conventional wisdom always warned owners about the perils of inexperience. "Thou shall not draft a rookie QB" was a commandment carved in stone. But Cam Newton's inaugural campaign rewrote the rulebook.

Griffin and, to a lesser extent Andrew Luck, are worth weighing as QB1s in deeper formats. The reigning Heisman winner, in particular, is highly desirable. His remarkable accuracy, foot-speed, athleticism and Elway-esque smarts represent everything a team is looking for in a franchise quarterback.

Even though he's yet to sign on the dotted line, the 'Skins are have already provided him with a nourishing environment. After selling an arm, leg and kidney in draft picks to lock him up they should. With Pierre Garcon now in tow, Mike Shanahan has a nice bevy of offensive weapons, including Jabar Gaffney, Roy Helu and underrated tight end Fred Davis. Josh Morgan could also surprise in his new digs.

Griffin is unproven, but, mark the Noise's words, the projected mid-round fantasy pick will turn a sizable profit, possibly finishing inside the QB top-10, Cam Newton Part II.

Weird. The more **** I read talking about how wonderful RG3 is, the more I want people to just shut the **** up until AFTER the draft.

Hey, Colts? Andrew Luck is THE MAN.

Weird. The more **** I read talking about how wonderful RG3 is, the more I want people to just shut the **** up until AFTER the draft.

Hey, Colts? Andrew Luck is THE MAN.

Good God. Not you too. This is the very definition of a "No-Lose" proposition for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.