• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Grade the Redskins 2017 Draft Effort

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Thought we needed a place to reference overall draft grades as they come in, or submit your own :)

I'll start things off with SB Nation's Draft Grades

Washington

Washington is another team that got one of the biggest steals in the entire draft with first-round pick Jonathan Allen. If he stays healthy, I love the pick. He was my second overall selection and will help Washington’s pass rush and run defense. In the second round Washington went for another Alabama front seven player with linebacker Ryan Anderson. He can play inside and outside with his ability to use power and leverage.

The team needed a cornerback and found one with first-round talent in UCLA’s Fabian Moreau of UCLA. He dropped because of health, but he’s a high-end No. 2 cornerback for Washington.

The pick of running back Samaje Perine in the fourth round was one of the best on the third day of the draft. He could take over as Washington’s lead running back. Washington also smartly brought in two more safeties in Montae Nicholson and Josh Harvey-Clemons. It might be overloading the position, but Harvey-Clemons in particular brings something a little different.

Grade: A-

They like us! They really like us!!!! Only other team in the 'A' category was the Vikings :)

Definitely an A Grade.
We hit on every single need.
And hit very well.
Not bad for a McClou-Less draft.
Although, I can't help but wonder how much these picks reflected McClou's blueprint and research.

Have said it before...all the picks that work out will be characterized as McLovin picks. The one's that don't, those were Allen's.

It's what we do :)

I'm sure McLovin's fingerprints were all over this draft - how could they not be? It's a shame if McLovin really continues to struggle with ETOH that we didn't just solidify his input on our draft board and skip the elevation to GM thing. We'll miss his talent evaluation in the future for sure.

Has the potential to be the best Redskins draft of the last 20 years.

My only quibble(minor at that) is that we didn't draft a guard to take Lavaou's place.

For the record, I'd give us a B+. Love, love, love the first 4 picks. Not so crazy about Montae Nicholson with the 5th pick - we could have had TE Butt who I thought was the best talent there at a position of need (or pick up another DL there). Sprinkle and Roullier seem like solid picks, but not blown away by the picks after that. Then again - what do I know? :)

My only quibble(minor at that) is that we didn't draft a guard to take Lavaou's place.

It appears we did...

Chase Roullier Draft Profile

Roullier is a very good value here as he can kick to guard if needed and has proven to be an impact run blocker with the necessary skills to pass protect as a starter...He began showing off his versatility by starting the final three games of his redshirt freshman season at center and guard. Coaches kept him at the left guard spot over the next two seasons, and he started all 24 games, earning honorable mention All-Mountain West honors in 2014 and second-team all-conference in 2015. Roullier then moved to center for his final season

Yeah, he only moved to center his final season....

Chase could also go to C and let Long go to Guard in place of Lavaou. I wouldn't mind that.

Overall grade; A-.

Addressed a lot of needs with some solid picks that can come in and make immediate improvements. Allen/Anderson guys that are violent and that you can move around. Perine a force between the Tackles. Hey, he was getting 1,ooo yard seasons playing behind Mixon. Remember Ladell Betts? Sprinkle will be a solid blocker. Let's see what he picks up from Vernon. Robert Davis is in the Mo Harris category, big guy with upside. The other guys fit needs and may or may not work out but good picks where they were at.

Thought the Nicholson pick could've occurred deeper in the draft freeing up that 4th round spot for a different guy. Took two guys (Nicholson & Moreau) coming off surgery. Upper body injuries (torn pec for Moreau & torn labrum for Nicholson) so not the end of the world for secondary guys. Moreau probably not ready until later in camp but could fill in what Fuller did last year if Fuller moves up to more snaps. Just don't be too surprised if he doesn't get on the field real soon and be patient. Nicholson more like two years out to be able to give meaningful snaps but a guy you need patience with. Don't give up like what happened with Amerson.

I grade the draft as , I'm pleased with the picks, asserting an overall grade before players hit the big leagues is like guessing a test score from performance from 5th grade to 9th....essentially I'm in a good mood but remain realistic. Plus I'm drinking some 10% watching the caps so life is good. Well life is good period everyday we wake up is a good day. HTTR!!

Only head-scratcher was Harvey-Clemons.
With the NFL so suspension-heavy, and the Skins suffering a brunt of that, you draft a guy who was dismissed from GA due to 2 weed violations.
You can say that it's "only a 7th rounder" but that's not the point. The concern is not about him taking up space as a draft pick, but taking the space as a roster spot. You draft a guy with the intention of him making the roster, and do you really want a guy taking up a roster spot that's a high risk for suspension, and probably doesn't have the talent upside to offset that. And with only a few months before we set the roster, is that really enough time to convince the coaches that he's turned around his smoking habits ?

We can only hope Harvey-Clemons lives up to his name, and somehow becomes a fusion of Ken Harvey and Chris Clemons.

Last edited:
Maybe they know something we don't. Guys can learn - it's possible. Perhaps he's convinced them he finally gets it?

That being said i had the same initial response you did Fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round 1, Pick 17 - Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama (6’3”, 286 lbs.) A love this pick
Round 2, Pick 17 (49th Overall) - Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama (6’2”, 253 lbs.)2nd position of need, love it
Round 3, Pick 17 (81st Overall) - Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA (6’, 206 lbs.) another great pick of AoN
Round 4, Pick 7 (114th Overall) - Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (5’11”, 233 lbs.)More I read the better I like it. Still thought G here
Round 4, Pick 17 (123rd Overall) - Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan St. (6’2”, 212 lbs.)AoN still digging it
Round 5, Pick 10 (154th Overall) - Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (6’5”, 252 lbs.)Yep
Round 6, Pick 15 (199th Overall) - Chase Roullier, C, Wyoming (6’4”, 312 lbs.)not in love with player, reminds me of Leribous
Round 6, Pick 25 (209th Overall) - Robert Davis, WR, Georgia St. (6’3, 219 lbs.)Solid
Round 7, Pick 12 (230th Overall) - Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville (6’4”, 217 lbs.)possibly overkill at S. future Nickel lb?
Round 7, Pick 17 (235th Overall) - Joshua Holsey, DB, Auburn (5’11”, 195 lbs.)Competition should be fierce for Torrians crew

All in all we hit our weak areas tho I wanted a G early and figured this is the yr we FINALLY get that NT.

Don't know the players yet but position wise we drafted a low B. Positions not hit kept it from high B or low A in my opinion.

Maybe Josh Harvey-Clemons was trying to get the munchies and bulk up? 217 pounds & lean @ 6'4".

Possibly Walters is a procurer of illicit items but they graded him out as an A- pick for the Skins. They only graded the Island of CB Moreau and RB SamieJamie higher, both with A's.
As long as he has a higher IQ than Tanard Jackson and can learn the errors of his ways. But he did get suspended twice in college for toting up and may have failed more drug tests than those two.
He would've been drafted a lot higher without those distractions so hopefully he wises up.

Round 6, Pick 15 (199th Overall) - Chase Roullier, C, Wyoming (6’4”, 312 lbs.)not in love with player, reminds me of Leribous

I don't think you could be more wrong. Read up on him. Leribeus never had any positive reviews - except he was a loyal Pizza Hut customer. Lots of experts calling this a sleeper pick. They are both white. I'll give you that - but it ends there.

WP gives Texans, Jags, 49ers, and Saints an 'A' grade. Redskins earn a 'B+'.

Coming from the Post, that's like being named Valedictorian.

BR
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2706735.amp.html

NEGATIVES
Despite having ideal height and weight, Roullier has small hands and short arms. A lack of lateral quickness will limit him from playing in a zone scheme for which his size and lack of length would be ideal. Roullier's football instincts don't appear to be well-developed, and it doesn't help that he rarely faced NFL-level talent in the Mountain West. Quick interior rushers could make life hell for Roullier, as could delayed A-gap pressure from fast linebackers. With his struggles to match speed, Roullier will have to develop faster hands.

Dude is built like a T-Rex with Burger King hands

I don't hate the pick but there had to be a more prototypical G/C for the taking. Longer arms to keep the behemoths at bay

Last edited:
NFL.com
STRENGTHS Thick lower body with big calves and thighs. Body is built to anchor. Well-schooled and technically sound. Dips and strikes opponent with upward blow from his hips at point of attack. Bends better than expected and unlocks his leverage potential. Gritty worker who uses body control and hand strength to sustain blocks. Generates momentum into down blocks and fork-lifts defensive tackles off their spots. Good power as drive blocker, but functional in space as well. Has starting experience at both guard and center. Plays to and after whistle. Physical and tough.

Bleacher Report
A three-year starter at Wyoming, Chase Roullier played two years at left guard before making the move to center in 2016 and starting 14 games. Roullier brings versatility to the NFL and could be a starter down the road at either guard or center. He plays with enough bend and hip pop to explode out of his stance and get into defenders quickly. With a high football IQ and great toughness, Roullier has the makings of a mean center in a power scheme. His ability to move zero-technique defenders out of the hole makes him intriguing as a mid-round starter. He can be a drive-blocker with the power and mentality to dump defenders.

Pro Football Focus
What he does best:

Strong arms and is great at pressing defenders off and the direction he wants.
Great at generating movement upon contact. Creates unexpected movement often as the center in Wyoming’s power attack.
Good at working low to high with his upper body in blocks.
Consistently solid on film, doesn’t lose blocks often.
Versatile in position and scheme fit.
Had a run-blocking percentage of 91.6 percent as a center in 2016, seventh-best in the draft class.
Did a fine job as a pulling guard in Wyoming’s power-heavy scheme in 2015.
Can find defenders when on the move.
Has shown the ability to make difficult reach blocks in zone schemes.
Graded well the past two seasons at both guard and center.
Roullier makes blocking look easy at times and can be a dominant in-line blocker. Generates movement as good as any lineman in the draft and has the versatility to play guard and center. Pass protection and overall athleticism could be an issue for Roullier but his ability to consistently win blocks outweighs any concerns over either weakness. Roullier has the ability to steer defensive lineman in a way rarely seen and his solid grades the last two seasons show his productivity. Roullier has the tools necessary to start at center or guard in the NFL and has the skill set to have a solid future in the NFL.

Draft Analyst.com
Roullier makes blocking look easy at times and can be a dominant in-line blocker. Generates movement as good as any lineman in the draft and has the versatility to play guard and center. Pass protection and overall athleticism could be an issue for Roullier but his ability to consistently win blocks outweighs any concerns over either weakness. Roullier has the ability to steer defensive lineman in a way rarely seen and his solid grades the last two seasons show his productivity. Roullier has the tools necessary to start at center or guard in the NFL and has the skill set to have a solid future in the NFL.

Obviously, he's not a perfect player or he wouldn't have been available where he was. But he may still be a hidden gem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.