• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Power Rankings : Redskins Make Biggest Jump

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings?GT1=39002

Part of me wants to stand up an applaud, but part of me wants our guys to fly under the radar for a while before getting so hyped up. If you check out all of the sources in the NFL this week, everyone is talking about two things - how good the Redskins looked, and Tom Brady's 517 yards.

Let's hope it doesn't go to their head. London Fletcher stepping up immediately to tell our guys they weren't getting a victory Monday, followed by complete agreement among the players, is a good first step.

Love is nice. Not sure Billick actually watched the game though. :cool:

Yes, this is a huge jump for a team that has won only one game, but the Redskins displayed an improved defense and a solid running attack. Rex Grossman has a history of being inconsistent, but the veteran quarterback played well Sunday.

Sure. But I don't think I'd be hanging my hat on it in a blurb supporting moving a team up 10 spots. 74 yards? Kinda like saying your date has a nice personality.

Couldn't you say 74 yards is "solid", albeit unspectacular?

I wouldn't. If the running game had produced more in the 4th quarter when the Skins needed the old Riggo Drill to salt the clock I would say that too but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

While I'm digging the fact that the Skins moved up, I am blown away that the Cowboys explode spectacularly in the 4th quarter on national TV, blow a 14 point lead and don't drop at all. Amazing.

Sure. But I don't think I'd be hanging my hat on it in a blurb supporting moving a team up 10 spots. 74 yards? Kinda like saying your date has a nice personality.

Agree - 74 yards is good for 9th worst in week 1, well below the average & the median (105 & 93, respectively) for all 32 teams.

But at least we did better than the Cowboys! (64 yards).

Eh, I'd be much more comfortable with 20th or so. Need to keep the underdog status for a while longer.

When looking at whether a runner was solid, you have to look past the box score. Sure, 74 yards isn't flashy, but it isn't pathetic either. You also have to consider the fact that Hightower didn't put the ball all the ground, and he had sense enough to back up and break to the outside when the lanes up the middle collapsed. He has extremely good vision for a running back, and something that is going to get people excited about our running game again like the good ol days.

Not once when Hightower took the ball did I ever worry about him making a stupid decision, dropping the ball when he got hit, laying down to avoid a tackle, or killing a drive. When was the last time you could say that about one of our backs? It's been a while.

So 74 yards is not flashy, but when you look at the whole picture, it was damn solid.

I see your point. If Billick had watched the game, the running attack wouldn't have been what stuck out. I guess he was thinking, "Shanahan always has a good running game and that must've been why the Redskins won." If he had watched the game, he would've harped more on Grossman's big day in regards to offense. That's what stuck out to me, anyway.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. If the running game had produced more in the 4th quarter when the Skins needed the old Riggo Drill to salt the clock I would say that too but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

While I'm digging the fact that the Skins moved up, I am blown away that the Cowboys explode spectacularly in the 4th quarter on national TV, blow a 14 point lead and don't drop at all. Amazing.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/2

We moved up 9 but are still behind the team we just beat and the cowbums who looked like idiots.

This is exactly why I don't even bother looking at power rankings. Too much opinion, too little analysis.....

Uh, El, I think what you might be misinterpreting is that in the chart FO ranks teams on each individual metric-the 20 in this case meanoing the Redskins are rated 20th in the DAVE metric, three columns over ranked 7th in the Offensive VOA natric, similarly 15th for defensive VOA and 18th for ST VOA. The average of the four ratings is 15 which is the 9th highest average ranking which is where the 9th place finish comes from. Look at Detroit just above, their average ranking comes to 14.25 which placed them 8th in average ranking ahead of the Skins.

I must be reading it differently than you because it says that we are team #9, but if you'll notice a couple of rows to the right in blue is the actual rank at #20.

You are reading the DAVE (DVOA Adjusted for Variation Early) ratings, which include preseason rankings, with gradually less and less influence ("Right now, the preseason projection makes up 90 percent of DAVE."). Unless you are a big BCS fan, this should wrinkle your nose. Nobody (including FO) thought we were worth a damn in the preseason.

We are ranked 9th based on total VOA (7th OVOA & 15th DVOA), which is value over average, which is essentially every single play broken down & compared to the league average. Its completely based off just the first regular-season game.

EDIT: This is one ranking system where its good to read the text.

Uh, El, I think what you might be misinterpreting is that in the chart FO ranks teams on each individual metric-the 20 in this case meanoing the Redskins are rated 20th in the DAVE metric, three columns over ranked 7th in the Offensive VOA natric, similarly 15th for defensive VOA and 18th for ST VOA. The average of the four ratings is 15 which is the 9th highest average ranking which is where the 9th place finish comes from. Look at Detroit just above, their average ranking comes to 14.25 which placed them 8th in average ranking ahead of the Skins.

No, the 9th is from Total VOA, which is some combination of OVOA, DVOA and STVOA (not sure how they combine them).

I am so confused by those stats. DVOA, DAVE, etc.

Essentially, the break down every single play and assign it a value based on down, distance, result, etc. For example, a 6-yard pass play on 3rd & 10 will not be as valuable as a 6-yard pass play on 1st & 10. Then they combine those with some proprietary formula and spit out the VOA numbers.

Dave is the same thing, except with the preseason rankings mixed in. To me, these are as meaningless as BCS using preseason rankings to calculate regular season rankings (DUMB).

Any metric used that puts the Buffalo Bills as the #2 ranked team in the NFL is not accurate. That is why I asked. It is all just a bunch of numbers with no real measure to bring the stats together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.