• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WaPo: Redskins' Williams Agrees to Multiyear Contract

Lanky Livingston

Great to see Williams in camp fairly early, and ready to work. Let's get this show on the road!!
-----------------------
Redskins' top draft pick Trent Williams agrees to multiyear contract [updated]

It was a priority for rookie left tackle Trent Williams to participate in training camp as soon as possible, so Williams was pleased early Friday morning when his co-representatives reached a multiyear deal with the Redskins that enables him to get to work.

"It was very important to Trent so it was important to us," said Vincent Taylor, who represents Williams along with Ben Dogra. "It was very important to get it done and get him into camp, and that's what the plan is now. He's going to go there [to Redskins Park] this morning to sign and then get on the field."

The deal is worth $60 million over six years, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. More than $37.5 million of that is guaranteed.

Taylor credited the Redskins with helping Williams's team accomplish its goal of reaching an agreement early in camp, which opened Thursday afternoon at the complex. The Redskins practiced once Thursday and begin two-a-day practices this morning.

Specifically, Taylor credited Eric Schaffer, Washington's vice president of football administration, with "being great to work with. Eric helped make the whole process work well. It was clear that this was a priority for the Redskins, and everyone worked together to make it happen."

Taylor initially worked in conjunction with agent Eugene Parker. Although Williams switched to Dogra, he retained Taylor.

"Trent is going to be such a focal point of the offense, it's important for him to have as much time as possible to get ready for the season," Taylor said. "The Redskins are expecting a lot from Trent and he's expecting a lot for himself. When you have a player like Trent, and you know what he can accomplish and how much he wants to get out there, you just want to do everything you can on your part to help make it happen."

Click link for the rest of the article.

Glad he's signed. Hope he's a great Redskin for years to come.

But, these rookie salaries are a friggin' joke!

Glad he's signed. Hope he's a great Redskin for years to come.

But, these rookie salaries are a friggin' joke!

Agreed - but it might be too late to adopt a slotted system. We shall see what happens with the new CBA.

A slotted rookie salary system is going to be a centerpiece of any new CBA. Count on it.

Glad Williams is in camp. I think he's gonna be a good one.

I'm glad he's signed as well.

As for the salary, they need to give rooks a standard, two year bargin basement deal. Frankly, I'm surprised the owners haven't angled for that already. How many Jamarcus Russells have there been in the league?

Prove yourself. THEN make the bucks. No rook is going to starve a an NFL contract, even vet min numbers

The only way the players will ever agree to slotted salaries is if contracts become guaranteed.

I'm glad he's signed as well.

As for the salary, they need to give rooks a standard, two year bargin basement deal. Frankly, I'm surprised the owners haven't angled for that already. How many Jamarcus Russells have there been in the league?

Prove yourself. THEN make the bucks. No rook is going to starve a an NFL contract, even vet min numbers

just think - you and I risked our behinds for whole careers...and these guys make more scratch in 6 yrs than we will see in 5 lifetimes!

I heard Mike Lombardi say the other day that the top 15 or 16 picks in the draft make more than the rest of the draft combined? WTF?

The Patriots for years seem to prefer second round picks to first for that reason. Now you can argue with their success as of late, but they are in the playoffs every year. They have terrific depth (most of the time) because they get good, and even great, talent for cheap.

The only way the players will ever agree to slotted salaries is if contracts become guaranteed.

I disagree Lanky. I think more and more vets are getting disillusioned with the current system because the money these young, unproven guys are getting is putting more vets out to pasture. It is getting tougher and tougher to keep vets around, even at the minimum, and they are a big voting block within the union.

I think it will cost owners in terms of shorter contracts though. It will have to be something like a 2 or 3 year deal where the players are then straight Free Agents after they are done or the team has to offer them something like the average of the top 5 or 10 players at that position in the league.

just think - you and I risked our behinds for whole careers...and these guys make more scratch in 6 yrs than we will see in 5 lifetimes!

More in 6 years? Not to be tacky but who are you kidding? Trent Williams' signing bonus alone will be more in a single check than I could make in 5 lifetimes of what I do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.