• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

On a team that is 0-2 and obviously still rebuilding Trent Williams at 31 is expendable.

The sooner we make a reasonable deal and move on the better.

Donald Penn all but said that Williams was not coming back.

They are friends and Penn indicated to Trent he didn't want to sign with Washington to be a backup. Trent told him not to worry about that.

It's pretty stark right there to me.

Of course I can't find the pic Trent sent out but am fairly sure it was in one of bgo's threads. Like pregame pic?

Jones' performance for Giants ratchets up the pressure on Gruden if this team falls to 0-3 and then loses to NY.

People are going to begin to ask why the Redskins with two #1 picks can't get either ready to play on what is a bottom third quality team.

Gruden pretty much assumed from Day 1 that Haskins was going to sit and from what we have seen on the field and from Doc Walker's observations Sweat is lost out there on the field. He can't get off blocks in the run game and has no real defined go to moves on the pass rush.

He asked the question about whether any COACHING is actually going on over there.

Has me wondering too.

So we're going to pick apart a stone cold rookie after the first two games of his career?

I know we've all lost any faith we ever had in this franchise but have we lost logic too?

I love Doc - and mostly his takes are pretty dead on. But lately, he is just pissed and spewing. I think Sweat will get his bearings as the season goes on. And Bulldog - are you implying that the reason Haskins isn't playing is because 'the team couldn't get him ready'? They have an experienced starter. Whether they think he's capable of running the offense or not, there's zero reason to rush him out there. They don't deserve criticism for that. What the Giants do has nothing to do with that decision. I think the performance of Keenum has validated that decision.

Well, if Gruden doesn't earn keeping his job, and I really hope he does, I don't want him to ruin Haskins on his way out.
It ain't hurting anything, presently, by having the kid sit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think Trent might consider playing and just giving the big bucks he's losing to say.....a charity for the poor or cancer research or addiction recovery programs.

These NFL players who are gettng ahead of the next bargaining agreement need better publicists.

Outside a few missed long throws, I think Keenum has played pretty well. So if we start 0-3, I'd be pretty hard pressed to say Haskins is the answer and would help to start. Running game and defense needs to change much more.

Yes, Keenum is experienced.

My concern is not his acquisition after the injury to Smith but rather that in an attempt to save his own ass Gruden unlike New York at 1-5 or 2-6 is going to maintain the myth that this team is close or still competitive and refuses to get Haskins on the field when there is little but a mathematical chance for this team to advance to the playoffs.

To me nothing would be worse than riding Keenum to a 5-11 or 6-10 record and having the organization say we can get a look at Haskins in 2020.

This team isn't good enough at any position to start red-shirting high draft picks in order to play guys with average careers and limited upsides going forward.

New York determined after 2 bad losses that their team was not going to be competitive in 2019 and made some changes.

Without Manning and Barkley they were able to win today with Jones getting on the field and looking prepared, overcoming a horrible defensive performance.

Again, I don't think the Redskins are close to having a team that is going to be a contender so the management and development of the younger players that are going to be here in the future is paramount.

I am far more interested in Cole Holcomb, McLaurin, Sweat, Haskins, Payne, etc. than I am in what we see or don't see from Josh Norman and Morgan Moses, veterans that seem on the downside that still carry high cap numbers heading into 2020.

Allen and Gruden may still have to mouth the ‘we are close' or ‘we are getting there' mantras but these ring hollow because their belief or at least Allen's was based on the anticipated contributions of players returning from IR or lingering injuries from last year.

Many of those same players are now either hurt again or under-performing team expectations.

So, to me this is a team in transition and one that bears watching for the tilting point.

It will be interesting to see what this team does on MNF against Chicago.

I think the past couple of weeks showed that the Eagles are not a juggernaut and both Atlanta and Detroit put up the yardage Washington did, while those clubs were able to hold on and win.

Last edited:
i dont want to risk haskins getting unshy after getting destroyed behind a weak oline. let keenum take the hits.

I don't see any need to rush Haskins in there. But all the concern over the OL (so far any way) seems to have been overblown. Even the left side of the line has held up okay in terms of pass protection. We don't seem to be able to open up many holes for the running game, but the pass protection has been fine. I think it require Haskins to do what Keenum typically does, which is to get the ball out of his hands pretty quickly. I don't see the current line holding off pressure for extended periods.

Yeah, if Gruden is going to fail, let him get Case & Colt killed.

No need to let him taint Haskins.

Yes, Keenum is experienced.

My concern is not his acquisition after the injury to Smith but rather that in an attempt to save his own ass Gruden unlike New York at 1-5 or 2-6 is going to maintain the myth that this team is close or still competitive and refuses to get Haskins on the field when there is little but a mathematical chance for this team to advance to the playoffs.

To me nothing would be worse than riding Keenum to a 5-11 or 6-10 record and having the organization say we can get a look at Haskins in 2020.

This team isn't good enough at any position to start red-shirting high draft picks in order to play guys with average careers and limited upsides going forward.

New York determined after 2 bad losses that their team was not going to be competitive in 2019 and made some changes.

Without Manning and Barkley they were able to win today with Jones getting on the field and looking prepared, overcoming a horrible defensive performance.

Again, I don't think the Redskins are close to having a team that is going to be a contender so the management and development of the younger players that are going to be here in the future is paramount.

I am far more interested in Cole Holcomb, McLaurin, Sweat, Haskins, Payne, etc. than I am in what we see or don't see from Josh Norman and Morgan Moses, veterans that seem on the downside that still carry high cap numbers heading into 2020.

Allen and Gruden may still have to mouth the ‘we are close' or ‘we are getting there' mantras but these ring hollow because their belief or at least Allen's was based on the anticipated contributions of players returning from IR or lingering injuries from last year.

Many of those same players are now either hurt again or under-performing team expectations.

So, to me this is a team in transition and one that bears watching for the tilting point.

It will be interesting to see what this team does on MNF against Chicago.

I think the past couple of weeks showed that the Eagles are not a juggernaut and both Atlanta and Detroit put up the yardage Washington did, while those clubs were able to hold on and win.

Sure. Everything you are saying here makes good sense BD. But I don't think there's a head coach in the NFL who isn't going to start the QB he thinks gives him the best chance to win a game every week, every week, every time. Snyder and Allen have created this situation where you have a lame duck head coach 'coaching for his job' meanwhile drafting a future franchise QB. And so far, Keenum's play appears to support the decision to start the experienced guy over the rookie.

Expecting Gruden to go with Haskins 'for the good of the team's development' would be fine, if the FO hadn't placed Gruden's head in the guillotine prior to the start of this season. He doesn't have the luxury of doing what's best for the team long-term. He has to win as many games this year as he can.

You may be correct that 5-6 wins is a foregone conclusion and that it's an exercise in futility. But Gruden has to try and I have no doubt if he thought Haskins gave them a better chance to win these games *right now* that he'd be the guy under center.

Almost fully agree, Boone.

But I would say that Jay put his own head in the guillotine, with his subpar performance.

Still hoping against hope that light comes on in his brain. Starting tonight.

There is a time and place for these transitions.

For Josh Allen and the Bills it was early in 2018 while for the Ravens it was a bit later in the season for Lamar Jackson.

Most teams that invest a first round pick in a quarterback are those that don't have a starter they are prepared to move forward with beyond some transition period.

Occasionally you will see an Aaron Rodgers taken at #24 when you have a Brett Favre active and still very productive. But that is the exception.

Quarterbacks are drafted that high to get on the field early.

Even for a guy like Lamar Jackson that before the 2018 draft was considered very talented but raw, the coaching staff in Baltimore ultimately was able to get him on the field during the season in a scheme modified from what they were running with Joe Flacco when the results and record were not there.

That's the pressure of the modern NFL that seems to impact decisions in almost every city in except Washington.

Here we have the adherence to patterns and established processes that don't produce results and really never have. But they don't change, they are not flexible and quick to respond to failure.

Last edited:
Well, again, Gruden is more likely to ruin Haskins, than make him successful.
I still need to see something that makes me feel differently about Gruden, before I'm willing to risk Haskins future here.

I agree.

The performance of the team to me should be under scrutiny so that if we are 0-5 or 1-6 we might have to pull the trigger on Gruden.

He has had 5 plus seasons and 4 defensive coordinators to get this headed in the right direction.

And to me a win over the Barkley-less Giants doesn't get Gruden off the hook if we are 0-4 or 0-5 against everyone else.

Im hoping Dan will bring Tom Cruise in riding on Trent's shoulders for the halftime talk with a ‘help me help you' mantra that fires everyone up!

We're not winning again until not today Jay runs the ball 25 times a game, at minimum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.