• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sigh of Relief: Trent Williams Injury Not Serious

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
We'll source it better as we go of course, but in case you haven't heard yet...

http://twitter.com/RedskinsInsider

Redskins Insider: Trent Williams' MRI shows no structural damage: It appears the Redskins have received some enco... http://wapo.st/avenFB

Team is hopeful Trent Williams can play this weekend at St Louis
17 minutes ago via mobile web

Trent Williams had negative MRI and no structural damage; knee contusion and sprained toe, multiple sources say
18 minutes ago via mobile web

That sigh of relief chorus you heard was led by Donovan McNabb.

From link above:

Trent Williams' MRI shows no structural damage
It appears the Redskins have received some encouraging news about injured rookie left tackle Trent Williams, multiple people familiar with the situation said Monday.

An MRI of Williams's left knee revealed no structural damage, the sources said. Williams suffered a knee contusion and a sprained toe, tests showed, but the injuries were not nearly as serious as the team initially feared. Tony Wyllie, Redskins senior vice president, declined to comment about Williams's situation, saying Coach Mike Shanahan "will address all questions at 3 p.m."

The question now is whether Williams will play Sunday against the St. Louis Rams at St. Louis. One person in the organization said Williams wants to play this week, and the team has not ruled out the possibility. Williams was in a walking boot Sunday as a precaution, the sources said.

The injury occurred late in the fourth quarter of the Houston Texans' 30-27 overtime victory at FedEx Field. Williams went down as he was beaten for a sack by Texans all-pro defensive end Mario Williams, who had three sacks in the game.

Great news. I was really worried about him. He looked pissed when he was being looked at on the field, like he knew something was seriously wrong.

After Heyers play yesterday, McNabb must be sacrificing a goat to the football gods today

Good news. Especially after seeing Heyer get beat on the next play after Williams went out.

Well, no doubt Williams will be slowed the next couple of weeks even if he does play, but given how I felt about it when he left the field yesterday, I couldn't be more pleased. His long-term development, and the chances for the 2010 Skins to stay in the playoff hunt through the brutal first half of the schedule, would have taken a real hit if he'd been out for any length of time. The difference between the pass pro with him in, and pass pro with him out, was eye-opening.

So, should we sit him one week against a lesser opponent to give him a little extra time to recover?

The ONLY bit of good news after yesterday.

I wouldn't say that. McNabb had one of the best games of his career and I thought the coaches had a pretty game plan. We just don't have the talent to keep up with a team like the Titans. But for the first time in a long time I felt like the coaches actually took the week to look at film and game planned to attack and defend as best we could.

Simple fact of the matter is that we're not very good. Old Mother Cerrato left the cabinet pretty empty. But for once, we actually looked like a pro football team

So, should we sit him one week against a lesser opponent to give him a little extra time to recover?
do the Rams have a guy that NEEDS Williams? If not I say sit him. I know that Long kid is supposed to be good but he doesnt scare me like a Mario or Demarcus.

If Williams can play we play him. Period.

Sit him if we're winning 31-3 in the fourth quarter, but until then you have to take every NFL team seriously.

If Williams can play we play him. Period.

Sit him if we're winning 31-3 in the fourth quarter, but until then you have to take every NFL team seriously.

Henry, while I agree with your statement that "if" he can play, you play him. It is how you define "if" that concerns me. Here we have seen our franchise LT for years to come play well. He has proven in the past 2 weeks that he can handle the best in the game, Ware and Williams.

Do you push him to play, which we can see by his reaction to the injury he wants to? Or do we sit our franchise LT in a game that offers no considerable threat from the other side of the ball for fear of an outcome like the Nationals are dealing with w/ their phenom pitcher? Of course, if you sit Trent you run the risk of exposing your older Franchise QB. But don't you run that same risk if you play a rookie who is going at 75-80% while risking further injury?

If the Rams depth chart holds to form, Williams would be facing James Hall this week. He's had some good years, but at 33 is certainly no DeMarcus Ware or Mario Williams. If Williams is a liability in that his mobility is seriously limited, you have to consider sitting him a week to get right before heading up to Philly in week four.

But given the awful ground game so far, and that we are likely to be relying on McNabb to pass the Skins to victory for the time being, having Williams protecting his blindside makes me feel a whole lot better about things than having Stephon "My Knees Do Not Bend" Heyer out there.

If the Rams depth chart holds to form, Williams would be facing James Hall this week. He's had some good years, but at 33 is certainly no DeMarcus Ware or Mario Williams. If Williams is a liability in that his mobility is seriously limited, you have to consider sitting him a week to get right before heading up to Philly in week four.

But given the awful ground game so far, and that we are likely to be relying on McNabb to pass the Skins to victory for the time being, having Williams protecting his blindside makes me feel a whole lot better about things than having Stephon "My Knees Do Not Bend" Heyer out there.

I gotta admit, I do not know why Heyer is still on the team. I really thought Selvish Capers would have stepped up to be Williams' back up. I guess they didn't want 2 rookies in such an important position, understandably so.

But I still would hate to risk Trent Williams aggravating these injuries for a game that could end up meaning nothing in the long term. If you look at the Texans, it has taken them around 5 years to get where they are. Over the next 5 years I envision us being at the top of our division and competing for Championships. Do you risk this kid for a game that could be meaningless in the long run?

Of course, I agree with Henry. If he can play, play him. I just hope that determination is made with the long run in mind. I would hate to see another mis-diagnosis by this team with such a talented player.

But don't you run that same risk if you play a rookie who is going at 75-80% while risking further injury?

If Trent can start you start him. If it turns out he's clearly still injured and starts giving up sacks, sure pull him. But don't sit him just to give him a rest. This is the NFL and nobody has that luxury.

rest him. our problem for the Rams game will be on the defensive side.

I think you try to get him to play. He does not need a week off and he needs to get conditioned to play a full NFL season.

If he cannot go, I hope Brown moves to the left and Hicks on the right. Let Dockery, Rabach, and Lichtensteiger handle the middle or keep the middle of the line the same and move Brown to the left and Heyer on the right.

I think you try to get him to play. He does not need a week off and he needs to get conditioned to play a full NFL season.

If he cannot go, I hope Brown moves to the left and Hicks on the right. Let Dockery, Rabach, and Lichtensteiger handle the middle or keep the middle of the line the same and move Brown to the left and Heyer on the right.

And this is another reason William starts if at all possible. We don't want to be shuffling our OL around if we can avoid it. The more time these guys get to gel together the better.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Such a relief. From the look on his face on the field, I thought for sure it was serious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.