• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

I watched all of Smith's games. Yes, he had some dominating performances but he also had long stretches were he made no impact at all and was not heard from.

I have been waiting 3 years for Smith to come on and 'own' a starting position on the defense where there is no doubt we have a 16 game performer we can count on going forward.

But the picture here is still cloudy. Could Smith still develop into that player? Yes.

Having let Trent Murphy and Junior Galette go in free agency are we more or less in the business of Preston Smith like it or not? Perhaps.

But it's no slam dunk. This guy hasn't been JJ Watt or Vic Beasley since being drafted.

Scherff to me is a no-brainer. We spent the #5 overall pick on him. He has performed to that level and made post-season all star teams. He is recognized as a top 5 player at his position.

He has proven and earned a new contract.

The last of the three, Jamison Crowder is in a position similar to Preston Smith except he plays a position where there are more options out there in case you want to move on.

Pass rushers come at a priority/premium so Smith is likely to be the guy whose salary gets boosted the most with a solid 2018 season.

Crowder is worth resigning, but to me given his size and injury history, there is a ceiling on his potential. We need to keep that in mind when we talk dollars. He is not an 'A" player for the Redskins even if his performance reverts more to his rookie season when he was more consistent.

He is a B player that needs productive options around him to allow him to work one on one in the slot.

Last year showed that when there was no Garcon or Jackson or Reed that it wasn't that difficult for opposing defenses to scheme to shut Crowder down and take him out of the game plan.

Crowder is not Jordan Reed. He is not Chris Thompson.

Reed and Thompson are top end players at their positions as pass catchers if healthy. They can beat defensive schemes that are set up to stop them because of their athleticism and off-schedule ability.

Crowder is a system guy and needs to be paid accordingly in an extension.

Tyvon Branch (31) on a 1 year deal with a contract structured similar to Scandrick's where he could be cut prior to the season painlessly a consideration. Why? He can cover TE's, something the Skins have sorely lacked and they were exploited on last season. If another guy steps up in camp, you can release him. Branch may even be available after Week 1 if he doesn't come to the realization he's worth about as much as his last years salary ($1.1M + $900k roster bonus).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pernell McPhee has informed the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Falcons?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Falcons</a> that he plans to sign with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redskins</a>, per a source. Not a certainty that the edge rusher will head to Washington, but it certainly looks that way.</p>— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) <a href="https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/977709030457118720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 25, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pernell McPhee welcome to the squad <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HTTR?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HTTR</a></p>— Jack gruden (@JGruden3) <a href="https://twitter.com/JGruden3/status/977712263909068800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 25, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Who feels confident our current corps of WR's is going to be enough for Alex Smith to succeed?

If so, please tell me why.

If not, wtf is this team going to do about it?

It depends if everyone is healthy. If you have Reed down the middle, Richardson going deep and Crowder catching the ball across the field with Thompson a threat out of the backfield, then Smith will have the weapons he needs to succeed.

You can add in incremental improvement from Josh Doctson, which is not guaranteed but possible, as an 'X' factor in that equation.

The other 'X' factor is the running back position aside from Thompson.

If we draft a runner in Round 2 that has serious bona fides as an inside runner who can also kick things to the outside, Smith will have to throw the ball far less than Cousins did in 2016 or 2017.

I would like to see a veteran WR added after the draft when teams are rationalizing their rosters based on who they just selected and how they fit in.

Guys will come available. Anquan Boldin was seemingly out there every year at the start of training camp and the Ravens were able to sign him at a bargain rate in 2011 and he helped them win the Super Bowl.

It depends if everyone is healthy. If you have Reed down the middle, Richardson going deep and Crowder catching the ball across the field with Thompson a threat out of the backfield, then Smith will have the weapons he needs to succeed.

You can add in incremental improvement from Josh Doctson, which is not guaranteed but possible, as an 'X' factor in that equation.

The other 'X' factor is the running back position aside from Thompson.

If we draft a runner in Round 2 that has serious bona fides as an inside runner who can also kick things to the outside, Smith will have to throw the ball far less than Cousins did in 2016 or 2017.

I would like to see a veteran WR added after the draft when teams are rationalizing their rosters based on who they just selected and how they fit in.

Guys will come available. Anquan Boldin was seemingly out there every year at the start of training camp and the Ravens were able to sign him at a bargain rate in 2011 and he helped them win the Super Bowl.

I do not have the confidence that Reed is even on the roster on opening day, which means we rely on Davis. I think Davis has a couple more years in him, but not the level of production a healthy Reed would provide.

I agree that Crowder can get open, but not if he is the focus of the defense. Docston has to step up, and we need one more serious weapon, I'm not sold on Richardson.

You are absolutely correct about the RB position, it will open up so much more.

I also think Smith will be able to "make a weapon out of ________" faster than Stat Boy ever could. Guys like Harris, Davis, Quick, etc... being on the field won't rattle him the way it seemed to rattle Kurt.

I think we're okay at wr this season. At minimum we should stay the same stat wise due to continuity. We lost Grant but gained Richardson.

Doctson had 35 catches for 500 yards and 6 td's in essentially a rookie year. Those #'s should take a step, if not a leap forward this season too.

If they can find a way to get & keep Harris on the field that's another target. Can't forget about Sprinkle with a year of studying the system as well.

On offense about the only place I'm even kinda worried about is guard. The other 4 spots are at minimum good, so fixing that should get top 3 (4 @ latest) round upgrade.

I wouldn't be mad if they took a sticky handed wr anytime after the 1st though.

I think we're okay at wr this season. At minimum we should stay the same stat wise due to continuity. We lost Grant but gained Richardson.

Doctson had 35 catches for 500 yards and 6 td's in essentially a rookie year. Those #'s should take a step, if not a leap forward this season too.

If they can find a way to get & keep Harris on the field that's another target. Can't forget about Sprinkle with a year of studying the system as well.

Mostly Doctson has to get his catch percentage up (45% last year) and I believe he'll do that. Even getting that up to 55% (really not bad for a deep ball guy) and just a few more targets (78 last season), 8oo yd's or better doesn't seem out of the question. His 78 targets were second behind Crowder but 23 targets (6 catches) in the last 2 games.

Certainly won't hurt to grab an FA WR at least through camp. Been watching some film on Smith last year and one thing that I've noticed is that he rarely under-throws to a receiver, he'll throw it past them and let them make the play. That's gotta help some of the Skin's WR's.

Perine caught 22 of 24 targets, granted those were fairly close to the LOS but he has good hands. With him & Thompson you got RBs that can catch. Pick up a solid 2-down back in the draft and that backfield is pretty good. In between the tackles on the O-Line wasn't great for running it so maybe that's a priority, especially on the left side (per Next-Gen) where they were the least effective.

Last edited:
Great points JB, this team under all coaches since GibbsII lack simple fundamentals like catching & securing the ball. I also see Smith's feet buying several more completions as well. Something KC didn't exactly excel at.

Hopefully Jay calls atleast 7 go routes for Richardson per game. Little extra room for the other guys should help catch % too I'd think.

Last edited:
Slight change of plans. We will have a free agency update tomorrow and a new guest mock on Tuesday. It will be the last guest mock of the season and the guest is extra special.

Great points JB, this team under all coaches since GibbsII lack simple fundamentals like catching & securing the ball. I also see Smith's feet buying several more completions as well. Something KC didn't exactly excel at.

Hopefully Jay calls atleast 7 go routes for Robinson per game. Little extra room for the other guys should help catch % too I'd think.

Robinson is gone... Doctson? :wink:

100 Targets is like 6 @ game. If he earns more (or less) so be it. 6 @ game isn't a bad place.

Last edited:
Robinson is gone... Doctson? :wink:

100 Targets is like 6 @ game. If he earns more (or less) so be it. 6 @ game isn't a bad place.

i think he means Richardson, but Robinson sure was tall... :glee:

We don't need a WR.

Reed isn't going anywhere Brian. First of all - we'd never get close to his value for the same reason we'd want to trade him, his injury history. We'll play him and do what we always do - cross our fingers. If we get 12-14 games out of him, he'll be a top 3 TE. Zero indication the team is even pondering trading him.

Richardson is talented. He has never been a #1 or #2 and this is his chance to show he can be that guy. Until he is, he isn't. But he's a capable WR.
@Bulldog's Twin, I'm surprised you're projecting 'incremental' improvement from Doctson. Win stated it already, but last year was for all intents and purposes his rookie year. WR is supposed to be one of the positions that it takes longer for WRs to 'get'. He really started coming on the last quarter of the season. I actually expect him to double his reception #'s this year.

If Reed can stay on the field, and Doctson makes the leap I think he can, we are absolutely loaded at WR. And then there's Chris Thomspon coming out of the backfield.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. We hope your week is off to a good start. Free agency now enters a slower pace, but signings will continue and we are still here to cover it all.

OTAs, the draft, mini camps, and training camp will be here before you know it, but we're talking free agency now and all the trades, re-signings, tags, releases, new free agents, and re-worked contracts are becoming known.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:
Paul Richardson, WR – (Signed Five Year Deal, 3/15/18)
Sam Irwin Hill, P – (Details To Come)
Orlando Scandrick, CB (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/19/18)
Pernell McPhee, OLB (Signed, 3/26/18)

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/6/18)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/12/18)
Brian Quick, WR – (Signed, 3/14/18)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/15/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – Tendered (Second Round Tender, 3/12/18)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Pending Free Agents:
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Signed With Jets)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Unknown)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Unknown)
Will Compton, ILB – (Very Likely Walks)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Very Likely Walks)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Terrell McClain, DE/DT – (Cap Savings, $3.25M – Dead Cap, $3.75M {If June 1st Cut, Spread Over Two Yrs})
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
Multiple reports suggest that the Redskins are looking to trade Su'a Cravens.

The Redskins now have $19.3M of cap room and would have small cap ramifications if Terrell McClain is released as a June 1 candidate. The dead cap would be $3.75M, but could be spread out over two years.

While Johnathan Hankins continues to ponder his future, it is important to note who represents him. Kevin Poston of the notorious Poston brothers is his agent and is widely known for his shenanigans with clients. Keep a watch for developments.

The new cap for 2018 is $177.2M.

We have ended the list of potential free agents as the list has dwindled and free agency is now well into a second phase.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years (four year extension).

Personal Thoughts:
The Denver Broncos are still very interested in Su'a Cravens.

BBQ believes that if Su'a Cravens is not traded, Bruce Allen will hold on to him until the final cuts.

Even though Bashaud Breeland failed a Carolina physical, BBQ thinks there is no way he returns to the Redskins.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.