• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Good stuff BB. Of course, I'd feel a bit better if that was Bobby Beathard or even Bill Polian saying that instead of Herd, but I'll take what I can get.

Charley Casserly had nothing but positives to say about the move - does that help? :)

That should be pinned at the top of the page, and be required to be listened to by everyone.

I have seen many positive opinions about the decision from many fronts. I haven't really seen any that feel Cousins is worth what he is going to get paid. There are some pretty loud local voices that are upset with it (cough *grant paulsen* cough) that are acting like the team stole their lunch money but not from anyone really respected. The biggest complaints are about placing blame on the steps that led up to this, like that could be changed now. I'll never understand the insistence on crying over spilt milk.

My problem isn't letting Cousins walk.

He didn't want to be here and I can't blame him for that.

It's the fact that you have all these Qbs that are going to hit the market and they couldn't even wait to talk to them.

Guys like Bridgewater, Keenum, etc...younger options that have performed. It just feels like they never explored their options and only dealt for Smith because Jay and Andy share the same agent.

I hope he works out and is just not a Brunell rerun.....

I think Smith was the most reliable FA QB available. Keenum has 1 good year. Bridgewater and Bradford are more of an injury risk. And waiting would have left us with more question marks than answers.

Now, I still believe Colt could get the job done while grooming a young QB. But again, Smith is a proven starter, where Colt is not.
And, we can still draft a young QB without having to reach for one. With both Smith and McCoy as mentors.

It's like Bram said, argue over spilled milk if you want, but the team did what seems to be the best they could, with where things are.

Now we need to get our injured guys back healthy, and continue adding upgrades through FA and the draft.

I have seen many positive opinions about the decision from many fronts. I haven't really seen any that feel Cousins is worth what he is going to get paid. There are some pretty loud local voices that are upset with it (cough *grant paulsen* cough) that are acting like the team stole their lunch money but not from anyone really respected. The biggest complaints are about placing blame on the steps that led up to this, like that could be changed now. I'll never understand the insistence on crying over spilt milk.

I've made my feelings on Grant and Danny quite clear over the last few weeks, especially when they had their little circle jerk they had with Cousins a few weeks ago. They have a personal and business relationship with him and I don't see how anyone can take them seriously, a lot of it because of that. They carry water for him in ways that not even a HoF-caliber player gets. If he goes somewhere and has a good game, they'll crow. If he goes somewhere and fails, they'll blame the 'Skins.

All they can talk about is how it got to this point and you absolutely cannot put the proverbial shit back in the horse. The situation exists, deal with it and move on. They don't want to talk about how Kirk was a abysmal in the two years leading up to this mythical "extension" the team could have had, which would have been almost over by now.

I think Smith is the best of the available options for a QB you can win with now. If he's just Kirks equal, we're now paying an appropriate amount for that talent level. Yes, it cost us Fuller which sucks, but I also think Smith is a better QB. If we can somehow draft a QB that develops, it's a good plan. Talent you can win with now, while looking to the future without breaking the bank like Kirk would have required. And now the FA QB market is established, Kirk may not get the contract he was looking for. My first reaction was to be pissed, this was same 'ol splash deal for an aging player while also giving up good youthful talent. I'll see how it goes before deciding.

Heck, if I don't have to pucker every time our QB drops back to throw an out route deep in our own territory, I might consider it a win. :) I don't think I'm alone in being on the edge of my seat when KC dropped back in key moments.

Just curious, has there been any Cousins comments since the team told him and his agent to GFYS?

I'm curious about our new QB, because I havn't found any statements from him.
Would really like to hear a statement from him, especially regarding his genuine feelings about playing for Wash.
And especially after what happened with our last QB.
I'm starting to wonder if he has a twitter account, because I can't find it.
Then again, there's probably 899,000 Alex Smiths in the world.
Maybe if I start following Kareen Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce, it will recommend him to me.
Or should I try to find him on MySpace ?

Skins getting pounded by the media and their own fans over this move.
But what if it turns out to be the opposite ?
Mahomes didn't play all year, and they trade away Smith, and put all their faith in Mahomes.
What if Mahomes becomes a bust, or falls way short ?
That's a far more serious question than whether the Skins can fill the void left by Fuller, by turning to Moreau, Holsey, etc.

Last edited:
Until it's actually official, I wouldn't expect to hear too much from the teams, or the players involved.

Some, but not much.

He's not on Twitter. He's made the adjustment to going to a different team several times now. I'd be surprised if he didn't have at least some input into his future destination. I expect he'll be all in when he gets here as he has always been characterized as a pro's pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is more conspicuous to me is the lack of messages from players on the team referencing any type of frustration or displeasure with the obvious departure of #8 . Has there been even one?

Their silence is deafening.

Case Keenum is nowhere near Cousins or Smith.

He played well for ONE season with a very good defense behind him and a weak division in 2017 due to the Rodgers injury.

Keenum got exposed against the Eagles.

As soon as he threw that pick and fell behind Minny was done because Keenum doesn't have the skills to bring teams back.

He's 6'1 and has average arm strength with questionable deep ball accuracy.

My guess is he will really struggle to duplicate his numbers from 2017 again.

4 tds but 2 interceptions and a number of others that could have been picks.

Keenum likes to throw the ball in tight coverage but doesn't have the kind of size and arm to pull it off consistently.

Again if he has another year like 2017 where a lot broke right for him I would be surprised.

His own coach, Zimmer, didn't show him much love after the playoff loss.

Zimmer's comment that he activated Bradford because he is a good deep ball thrower if they needed it doesn't bode well for Keenum's return in 2018.

I expect to see him in Cleveland or NY or whichever other team loses out on Cousins.

Smith is a baller - I never really paid attention to him until the Redskins / Chiefs game this year. He was incredibly impressive, and outplayed our own offense and QB. I like him. Not too concerned about the age he's coming off his best years and we've seen good QBs play at a high level into their late 30s on the reg lately. And I KNOW we Fd up the KC situation horribly, in true Redskins style, but at this point I just couldn't stomach paying KC the $30 million a year it's gonna take to keep him. Let someone else pay more for him than Tom Brady gets - we have a team to build here and I think when the details of Smith's contract come out it's gonna be clear that we can do that.

Losing Kendall Fuller hurts, but we need a QB more than we needed him sadly.

I feel good about it. I think Smith is a potential upgrade from KC. We'll see what happens. But really, it's the REST of the team that's the issue, not the QB, just as has been the case since 2015. We need to get healthy, we DESPERATELY need a high quality RB and WR, and we need to hope the defense can recover and regain the form and momentum it had early in 2017.

This is probably the best the Skins could have done in this situation. I didn't want any of the Vikings castoffs and I don't trust the college QBs at pick 13. Now we can watch the other teams fight over the scraps while we move forward with QB set.

The biggest upside is the KC drama is finally over. I was sick of it. Beyond sick of it. KC is someone else's problem now and now the fans of 8 other teams -instead of us - get to read 3 articles a day in their local papers about whether or not they are going to sign Kirk for the next 2 months. It's a relief.

Another interesting thing about this whole thing - which I haven't seen ANYBODY mention - is we still have the franchise/transition tag. Breeland? Zach Brown? With the Kirk drama over that's a tool we can use to keep a player we want or get compensation for them if they walk.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing about this whole thing - which I haven't seen ANYBODY mention - is we still have the franchise/transition tag. Breeland? Zach Brown?

Well that's a no-brainer. Brown all the way.
Also, if I'm Alex Smith, I'm probably thinking....."You guys do plan on getting me some receivers, don't you ?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.