• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Interested to see what we do with McCoy now.

I guess the prudent thing is to keep him as a back up to Smith as he's more than familiar with our system.

But I'm guessing he's not a happy camper today. I'd imagine he had his eyes on the starting role this year at least as a stop gap where he could try proving himself a starter again. Do we think he stays in the back up role? Or are we seeing the first in a domino of roster moves?

Yeah, he can't be happy. But I think he understands the business part of it. Though he doesn't have to agree with the decision.

I think we still draft a QB in the 3rd/4th rd. Depending on how fast he develops, if the team thinks he's ready to be the #2 guy before the trading deadline, McCoy might be available for tradebait to a team that might have lost it's starter early on. If not, he stay's as the #2 this season, and moves on next year.

+1. Well said B. I don't think this is the end of the world, but I would've liked seeing how Fuller developed. With us that is. I think Smith is a slightly more mobile QB as well as less inclined to make the staggeringly dumb throws we have on occasion seen from KC, so this one might be pleasantly surprising next year and beyond.

1) We won't see the 2-3 head-scratchers a game that Cousins is bound to have, which always seem to come at the worst times.
2) This drama is over. Finally.
3) Gives the team more headroom to bring back Chicken Fried.
4) Does this affect the Breeland situation... ? Kid seems to be a head case, but they at least have the option now with less dollars spent at QB.

Yes. The end of the "What's it gonna be" drama, if nothing else, should make everybody happy.

"Should" being the key word.

Basically we paid $44 million to rent a QB for 2 years. Can't wait to hear Allen's spin on this one.

Basically we paid $44 million to rent a QB for 2 years. Can't wait to hear Allen's spin on this one.

Only because that QB refused to negotiate in good faith.

But you're right, we screwed ourselves by paying for filet mignon, and getting not much more than cube steak for our money.

Yeah, he can't be happy. But I think he understands the business part of it. Though he doesn't have to agree with the decision.

I think we still draft a QB in the 3rd/4th rd. Depending on how fast he develops, if the team thinks he's ready to be the #2 guy before the trading deadline, McCoy might be available for tradebait to a team that might have lost it's starter early on. If not, he stay's as the #2 this season, and moves on next year.

Yeah I'm sure he gets the business side of it, but I'm sure it's disappointing to him. He probably figured this was his best chance at moving to starter.

I'm now wondering if we have a mildly unhappy backup who will make overtures about being traded to a team where he could compete as a starter. Might not be much call for him, but I agree that he could make for good trade bait and I do think we still go QB in the draft at some point. I feel like we need to find someone to develop and not **** up the process like we did with KC.

As I said in my other post, I wouldn't be averse to taking a QB in round 1 if things shook out to leave one of the top prospects there. However now Smith is in place I really hope we spend high on the Defense. I think the sooner we turn around that side of the ball the better we'll be, there were glimmers of strides last year pre-injury and with us now losing Fuller we need to focus on bolstering that side of the ball up. Bringing Zack back is big for us I think.

Over on Offense I do wonder if having Smith will signify giving Pryor another roll out. Different QB's bond with different receivers, maybe Pryor and Smith can get on the same page where Kirk couldn't. Smith should enjoy our O-line, hopefully Doctson will take another step and fingers crossed we get our RB's back healthy. Thompson especially could be devastating coupled with Smith's short game. Our Offense could tick along nicely with Smith and Gruden working together.

All about the D for me now.

We hear Cousins didn't negotiate in good faith or wanted too much, but how do we really know this? There are two sides to every story. Thing is I'm not sure I have enough confidence in our FO to make a reasonable offer on the table.

I could have gone either way with Cousins being here or leaving. That is not the issue with me. It's the way we've mishandled the situation from the get go. The front office just wasted $44 million when we could have used that money to build with.

1: KC had no leverage. Everyone in the league knew Reid wanted to move on from Smith and that next season Mahomes was going to be his guy.
Bruce Allen, in his infinite wisdom, decided to give up a 3rd and the best young slot corner in the league for a 34 yr old QB KC didn't want anymore

2: They never even waited to see which of the three Minny Qbs would hit the FA market. Imagine that: Sign a FA Qb where you keep your 3rd rd pick and Fuller? That's too much 3 dimensional chess for Bruce and Doug.

So on a team that has plenty of holes to fill, we intentionally create a market for a 34 yr old washed up QB and take a strength and intentionally blow a hole in it by giving up a good up and coming cb.

There is no way anyone can spin what transpired last night as positive. Our defense became weaker and we traded for the original "can't win the big game" Qb...only older.

My hope is that both KC and the Redskins get busted for tampering and this deal goes south with it.

I really wanted to convince myself this was a good move, but when I woke up and saw it was for Fuller, I'm much more skeptical. Giving up a young talent like Fuller is going to hurt a defense that struggled the 2nd half of last year. I've never been a big Breeland fan, but if they don't sign him, now they need 2 CBs. I really hope Moreau steps up and that means just 1, but if they kept Fuller, they wouldn't need any. The team also just got older by getting an older QB for a young starter and a 3rd round pick which could also be a starter.

As for Smith, this feels like McNabb all over again. Get the old QB who is playing well, and sign him to a long term deal. The two things that concern me with Smith are his concussion history and the fact that he went an entire season without throwing a TD to a WR. He's been the king of the check-down, so Thompson should be in for a big year. The Redskins don't have a guy like Hill who can get that wide open for the big plays. That's what it seemed to take to get Smith to throw it deep.

The rest of it, the contract details, the comparison to Cousins, etc., we'll argue about that for months. But it doesn't matter now. They have Smith and now they need to improve the defense and run game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1: KC had no leverage. Everyone in the league knew Reid wanted to move on from Smith and that next season Mahomes was going to be his guy.
Bruce Allen, in his infinite wisdom, decided to give up a 3rd and the best young slot corner in the league for a 34 yr old QB KC didn't want anymore

Reportedly six teams were interested in trading for Smith. That's the definition of leverage.

Reportedly six teams were interested in trading for Smith. That's the definition of leverage.

Instead of playing it cool, we jumped out there and overpaid for a guy who isn't worth a third AND Kendall Fuller.

The Redskins set the market. They did this to themselves.

This is a classic,Dan Snyder knee jerk reaction and those never play out well.

Right now all I care about is that the Cousins drama is done and over, I hope he goes to Cleveland where he can put up stats, not win big games and be celebrated like the god he wants to be.

Redskins got fleeced.

Reid only gave up a #2 pick to acquire Smith from the 49ers when he was 29 years old.

The third round pick was OK but to include a starting caliber corner who is 24 years old is ridiculous.

I guess this means the Redskins are back in the Bashaud Breeland business?

Reid did the same thing he did in 2010 when he had an aging quarterback to sell, Donovan McNabb.

He came to the Redskins.

This team continues to be a joke, not because it didn't sign Cousins to a mega-deal.

Because it couldn't move on in a SENSIBLE way, draft a young quarterback and develop him without having to trade significant pieces of your future on the field.

Cousins has to be laughing at this move.

I am sure he and his agent are on the phone agreeing that NOT signing a long-term deal here was the best decision.

There is really no chance to win a championship here as long as the current crew including Bruce Allen is in the building.

The team's penchant for trading young for old and giving up more than fair value in trades for players and picks continues to haunt them.

Players are not happy about the loss of Fuller:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Never Saw Any Bullshit Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!! People say they wanna win right but you throw away your best defender!?!? Somebody you can set a standard with?!?! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Defense?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Defense</a> will win championships!!</p>— DJ Swearinger (@JungleBoi_Swagg) <a href="https://twitter.com/JungleBoi_Swagg/status/958701210441277440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This franchise is circling the bowl......

Never Saw Any Bullshit Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!! People say they wanna win right but you throw away your best defender!?!? Somebody you can set a standard with?!?! #Defense will win championships!!

--DJ Swearinger

Sad day.

Man, some of you guys sound like a 12yr old girl who just found out Justin Beiber already had a girlfriend.

Reid only gave up a #2 pick to acquire Smith from the 49ers when he was 29 years old.

According to Hogs Haven it was two 2nd round picks. Idk.

Because it couldn't move on in a SENSIBLE way, draft a young quarterback and develop him without having to trade significant pieces of your future on the field.

The way we did with Cousins?

The Redskins think that resigning Quinton Dunbar is going to overcome the loss of both Fuller in the trade and Breeland in free agency.

It won't. Dunbar is a great story and continues to develop. But he is not now where Fuller is in terms of football IQ and ability to start in the NFL.

The Redskins kept Fuller in that slot role, but Cooley indicated based on his breakdowns that he will be equally as effective on the outside.

The unfortunate thing is that Snyder, Allen and Co. value having the 'name' quarterback or wide receiver and de-value other positions like a CB or LB or lineman that may be equally as important to winning in the NFL.

They just don't have the sophistication to appreciate that.

Now, compare what the Redskins just did with what Roseman did in Philly.

He came in after Chip Kelly had gutted the team.

He not only drafted Wentz but then was able to flip Sam Bradford and his big contract to the Vikings for FIRST ROUND PICK.

That's somebody who knows what he is doing.

He got MORE than fair value for both his own selection in Round 1 but was able to trade a 29/30 year old oft-injured quarterback for a #1 pick when he was acquired for far less than that.

So, do we assume that you absolve your boy, Gruden, of any responsibility for this move?

My guess is, if it works out for us, it will be yet another example of his player evaluation brilliance.

On the other hand, if it fails, then Snyder and Allen must have held a gun to Jay's head and forced him to sign off on the deal.

Which is it?

Gruden is an average coach.

If the team pulled off this trade to give a now desperate coach a chance to get back to the playoffs for some token 9-7 or 10-6 run to a wildcard, then shame on them.

A quality team moving forward block by block doesn't make this type of deal.

The ironic thing is that Smith has shown in his history that he comes up small in the big games.

Isn't that one of our criticisms of Cousins?

So are we trading a 29 year old regular season solid starter for a 34 year old regular season solid starter?

And at the same time giving up #3 pick and Fuller?

That's not a value move.

You can't make lemonade out of these lemons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.