• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Sorry if this is redundant guys, wasn't gonna read four+ years of thread lol. Is anyone suprised by our departed OC's success with the Rams? I myself am shocked at how quickly he turned a moribund franchise around, although I think Fisher was mailing it in for years. I am also pissed that we can't seem to do the same thing here. Thoughts from better minds as to why that hasn't happened with the B&G?

I think most are surprised at how quickly he got it turned around. What it really tells you is how awful a coach Jeff Fisher is. For years, people thought they were just a QB away or that they were going to be the surprise team each year. Yet Fisher would take them and turn them into a .500 team. They always had a ton of talent, they just needed someone to bring it out of them. Enter McVay to inject some life into the offense and to understand how to use that talent. Then bring in Phillips who is a miracle worker and you have a fantastic team.

As to why it hasn't worked here, it's because there has always been at least 1 major weakness on the coaching staff. Sometimes more than one. But if you think about the D coordinators that have been here. The awful special teams. The years of lethargic offense. They've never had great coaches all around on the staff. At least not since probably Gibbs II, but the offense was lacking at times then. The Redskins need strong leadership on both sides of the ball to turn it around. I was hopeful for Manuski and maybe we will find out next year the injuries are the sole reason the D is under performing.

To be fair to Perine his 3 best runs of the day were nixed either by Washington penalties or the Redskins accepting a Cardinals penalty.

He also seems to have better hands than Kelley or dear departed Alfred Morris.

Shame Gruden decided to shelve the quick passing game to the backs in the fourth quarter and try and depend on Crowder and Doctson.

OK if you want to add those 3 runs to help his bottom line. He still had 14 others with a long of 6 yards.

Definitely Samaje has better hands, maybe better than Thompson's hands although Chris more likely to break a big play. 21 targets and 19 catches so far although no more than 4 targets in a single game (twice). Against the Cards he was 2 for 2 and Bibbs was 4 for 4. Small sample size in his first game but I can't hold that against him for making a catch. Gruden & company have tended to avoid guys who actually make catches in favor of the chance to make a highlight reel play. I don't get the hate on Quick. 5 catches on 6 targets & 4 1st downs for the year. Maybe they just want to use guys that will be with them next year. He doesn't need a pile of targets but when you go 1 for 9 on 3rd downs you might give it a try.

To be fair to Crowder, he's been over 70% in 4 of the last 5 games and their best receiver over that stretch. Agreed, it's not an excuse to completely abandon the quick passing game though.

I doubt Manusky gets fired after one season.
And I doubt Guenther takes a demotion to a different role, all the while he's being considered for a promotion.

What the.....that makes zero sense. Cincinnati defense ranks.....

29th in total points
32nd in total yards (last)
28th in passing yards
32nd in rush yards (last)

That's like hiring Hazmat 2.0

What the.....that makes zero sense. Cincinnati defense ranks.....

29th in total points
32nd in total yards (last)
28th in passing yards
32nd in rush yards (last)

That's like hiring Hazmat 2.0

Yes, and why would Gruden bring in Guenther ?
Same reason he kept Hazmat around...
In fact there's a video and song about them...

Last edited:
Denver makes the most sense honestly. I believe our front office needs to decide on how much to offer Kirk, which will be a formality at this point. Already accepted he's good as gone.

The other route is do we hit him with the nonexclusive tag and hope Denver negotiates, or do we wish him well and take the 3rd?

For the record I think we're better off with Kirk than without him but if he's not willing to consider $'s already given then it's time to part ways. At some point enough's enough.

If both sides are negotiating reasonably they should be able to work something out. Under the non-exclusive tag, now other teams are dictating offers that Washington has to match or pass on but they have lost control of the negotiation. They might tag him to extend the time to work out an LTD but they'd have to be pretty close and possibly Cousins would prefer that tag to open up a bidding war. If the Skins did wind up playing him under the tag @ $35M that comes to like $80M over 3 years - almost a $27M @ year average. They should be able to come up with something close to that in an LTD. Maybe more but not a lot more plus being able to spread the cap hit which they haven't been able to do the last 2 years. If he did play under the tag in 2019, they'll be in the same boat in 2020 in terms of coming to a meeting of the minds.

I think another team would offer a long term contract close to that average so if it's too rich for Washington's blood, best to just use the non-exclusive tag and let him walk then take the two 1st rounders.

Good post JB...and you labeled the tag I meant to name. Suppose the “exclusive” is the one that returns two 1's, and was meant in my post.

Not sure the ponies would barter the 1's but maybe a 1 and a 3rd? Idk the pick scale but something along those lines seems doable for both parties. Maybe four 2's or something crazy

They can always negotiate the trade details. I don't know exactly how they do it, but they can get around two firsts since I don't think any sane GM would trade two firsts for KC1.

Nick

And if no one is willing to make a deal, we're on the hook for $35mil. Not worth the risk. Plus, that tag would hinder us, or any other team in negotiating something more reasonable with the agent.

No, I like my idea better. 5 minutes after the season ends, present a contract that's at least big enough for the greedy SOB to respond to. Negotiate as hard as you can up until the tag deadline. If a LTC can't be worked out, you cut bait. No tag. Not even the transition tag. You ASK their side to give us a shot at matching.

And move on.

Actually, Pittsburgh makes good sense for Cousins as well.

The Steelers skill players on offense are light years ahead of Denver's.

I also think his down to earth workmanlike personality would fit the franchise.

Actually, Pittsburgh makes good sense for Cousins as well.

The Steelers skill players on offense are light years ahead of Denver's.

I also think his down to earth workmanlike personality would fit the franchise.
And he'd be close enough to torture the franchise and fan base with the yearly reminder he's on a perennial playoff team while we're stuck at .450 ball.

And if no one is willing to make a deal, we're on the hook for $35mil. Not worth the risk. Plus, that tag would hinder us, or any other team in negotiating something more reasonable with the agent.

No, I like my idea better. 5 minutes after the season ends, present a contract that's at least big enough for the greedy SOB to respond to. Negotiate as hard as you can up until the tag deadline. If a LTC can't be worked out, you cut bait. No tag. Not even the transition tag. You ASK their side to give us a shot at matching.

And move on.

That's a red herring in my opinion. Cousins will be the hottest QB free agent this offseason during which multiple teams need a franchise QB desperately. There will be a number of teams willing to 'overpay' for him (if you choose to characterize market value as 'overpaying'). Very low risk.

Bottom line - you have to either sign Kirk to a LTD or figure out the best way to get something for him. A failure to do either should be absolute grounds for terminating our 'GM'.

And there lies the rub. Titles aside, we don't have a GM.

And there lies the rub. Titles aside, we don't have a GM.

Exactly.

Bruce Allen himself,at McCloughan's introductory presser, said that he could not do the job. He needed help.

So 2.5 yrs later, he fires Scot. OK.

But the fact that they never sought to bring in another GM tells us that the only reason they hired Scot to begin with was to get the stink off of Bruce for his "winning off the field" comments that were a disaster for him and put the team football operations in a bad light.

So now, I guess he can do the job?

Horse hockey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.