• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Day Thread - Eagles @ Skins - 2017

I just get tired of hearing Gruden espouse that he wants balance and to be a physical run team and then call 40+ passes and 16 rushes.

With no McVay to blame, the onus falls squarely on Gruden...who calls offensive plays like an Arena League Qb would....imagine that?

I watched most of the first half - weren't we nearly 50-50 run/pass in the first half? I'm pretty sure we were...

I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking we were damn lucky to even be in the game after the half. I think the odds of us winning with a pass happy 2nd half were better than us doing it with a run-heavy offense. Just my opinion though. Seemed like we were struggling across the board today on offense.

I agree that Gruden seems to undervalue the running game. I'm just not sure today is the best case study for that?

Gruden continues to underwhelm.

His teams go light in camp, practices and the preseason and then seem surprised that the team gets off to 1-2 or 0-2 starts.

The Redskins this year were not facing Pittsburgh or New England in the opener but rather an Eagles team that itself has holes and question marks.

So a 30-17 loss at home with basically a healthy roster is unacceptable.

On a sloppy day the younger less experienced quarterback stayed the course and overcame early adversity to win.

Unlike Wentz, Cousins allowed the sloppy play to count in 3 critical turnovers, 2 in the fourth quarter.

I really want to see the 2018 draft eligible qbs evaluated before sitting down with Cousins.

The offensive line was very poor today. Specifically Lauvao and Moses. Lauvao has always been awful and it really says something about the front office that they haven't found anyone to replace him. Moses looked a lot like he did as a rookie. The unit as a whole was just bad.

As for Cousins, he was pretty bad too. Too many missed throws. He had little pocket presence and when he stepped away from pressure, he reacted like the pressure would just disappear, but it didn't. You saw that Wentz would evade the pressure and look to make a play. Cousins would just sit there like it was practice and no one was allowed to hit him.

Which brings me to my last point. This coaching staff has no idea how to run training camp or practices. Gruden has never won an opener and his teams always look unprepared to start the season and very rusty. They only get better playing real games, which tells me the practices are useless and training camp is only for rookies trying to make the team. I don't know what happens at practices or in meetings, but I can see the results on the field and it's never pretty to start out the year.

Great post Kel. Here's the thing though... Gruden has to own his opening record (which sucks!). But setting that aside, Cousins has been flat out BAD early on pretty much from day 1. We had no chance today and Cousins poor play was the #1 reason. It's Gruden's job to 'get his starting QB ready' so I agree, the pathetic opening day record ultimately falls on Gruden. But I don't know if any QB has started as consistently slow as Kirk Cousins has over the past 3 seasons?

Gruden continues to underwhelm.

His teams go light in camp, practices and the preseason and then seem surprised that the team gets off to 1-2 or 0-2 starts.

The Redskins this year were not facing Pittsburgh or New England in the opener but rather an Eagles team that itself has holes and question marks.

So a 30-17 loss at home with basically a healthy roster is unacceptable.

On a sloppy day the younger less experienced quarterback stayed the course and overcame early adversity to win.

Unlike Wentz, Cousins allowed the sloppy play to count in 3 critical turnovers, 2 in the fourth quarter.

I really want to see the 2018 draft eligible qbs evaluated before sitting down with Cousins.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I'm sure I wasn't the only one today thinking 'YOU want to be the highest paid QB in the NFL and you open with THIS KIND OF PERFORMANCE Cousins?'

I much prefer the 'You like that?!' cocky/arrogant Kirk than the tentative ineffective QB that showed up today.

But again I am not absolving Gruden.

He doesn't seem to gameplan at times based on the defense he is facing.

He wants to run certain plays and sets in certain games and doesn't readily adjust when they are being diagnosed by the defense or are not working per some poor execution that recurs.

But again I am not absolving Gruden.

He doesn't seem to gameplan at times based on the defense he is facing.

He wants to run certain plays and sets in certain games and doesn't readily adjust when they are being diagnosed by the defense or are not working per some poor execution that recurs.

Absolutely. He's also responsible for Cousins readiness to play, the gameplan, adjusting to the opponent's D, etc...

I think a major ??? this season is how much impact Gruden directing the offense on a play-by-play basis has on things, and how big a learning curve there is, even with the vets on the offensive unit, with a Gruden lead offense vs. McVay's? It's never been clear who ACTUALLY was directing the offense (be it McVay, Gruden, Callahan, or a combination of the 3) previously. Regardless - it's obvious that the playcalling dynamic has changed.

Gruden has a track record of *mostly* offensive success in Cincy and here (up till now). We have a lot of new offensive personnel - and that, coupled with the shift in playcalling responsibilities may result in some tough sledding early on. I'm not prepared to characterize him as 'over his head' though, because I think history suggest otherwise when it comes to Gruden.

Kind of ironic how our offense is what has been widely heralded, and our defense been much maligned - but yet in the last 2 games we've played, going back to last season, it's the defense that has stepped up, and the offense that has bumbled.

True dat. On the other hand, we probably shouldn't be surprised. Firstly, offenses almost always take longer to get going early on in the NFL season than defenses do (that's not generally true just for the Redskins). Secondly, our defense almost literally had no where to go but up.

I actually think we've upgraded both offense and defense - but believe it'll take 3-5 games for the new offensive pieces to mesh and gel.

Possible this is wishful thinking. We'll see.

I will say this positive on Cousins. He was quite gutsy with his running and head-first style. I don't think I saw him slide once.
He's not afraid to bulldoze into any defender for some extra yards. May not be the smartest approach, but gutsy nonetheless. Between his running style, and chasing down interceptors in meaningless games like the Pro Bowl and the Preseason, no-one can question his grit.

Last edited:
What if Pryor doesn't lose the excellent bomb in the blue sky on that first series (to me, that set the tone)? What if the receivers actually caught a few passes that were very catchable? What if the line gave him just half a second longer on many plays, including the red zone int? No, our QB was not perfect today, but their DL lived and set up a tailgate in the Redskins backfield today. What if the coach actually called more running plays (three straight passes from your own one yard line???)?

Cousin Kirk was certainly not perfect, but if he simply had A LITTLE help, then we could've seen a favorable outcome.

Coulda
Shoulda
Woulda

Never did!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> ran 33 offensive plays in 2nd half. They ran the ball FOUR times. Score was 16-14 PHI @ start/3rd. Less than 1 score much of 2nd H</p>— Chris Russell (@Russellmania621) <a href="https://twitter.com/Russellmania621/status/907075486991470592">September 11, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know I'm ranting and being pessimistic here but I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that we'll never have a consistent attempt at balance as long as Gruden is here.

He's very Spurrier-esque in that regard.

Missed you in chat :).

Hope all is well.

I have a new phone and went to the App store to download the BGO Messenger and I can't find it. :(

Any ideas? Anyone?

I really missed the live chatting during the game!

Re: The Game to further my observations...

The O-line looked like it was on skate much of the game. I'd been talking to my brother before hand and he'd said not to sleep on the Eagles D Front as they're pretty good. Cox was a factor all game. These guys need to step up big time because Kirk always seemed to be throwing off his back foot and only just getting the ball out before he was hit. That second fumble was a close call and I still think it should have been an incomplete pass. I think it's subjective... his arm was definitely in forward motion, but you decide whether he had control or not...

Saying that... Kirk was overthrowing all day. That interception looked high, Crowder had to really jump for it and tipped it with his fingers. Six inches lower and he has it I think. All on Kirk that one.
I couldn't decide about that very first long bomb to Pryor... It looked overthrown, but Pryor had definitely lost the ball and was weaving while looking for it and I assume probably had slowed up a tad which made the throw look worse than I think it was. If he'd still been tracking at full pelt it may have looked closer. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. *shrugs*

That said for all Kirks misfires I did think (as someone else noted) that he looked like he was going to gut out a win. The runs for first downs showed commitment and then that drive that ended in the interception looked good till that point. It's my fault for finally thinking that things had clicked after a slow start.

I assume they're breaking Doctson in slowly as he was nowhere to be seen yesterday.

Between his bad throws and the dropped balls (looking at you Pryor!) our offense needs work. But this has been a strength for us over the last couple of years so I'm not hugely worried yet. Skins traditionally start slow, they have done for years. If this becomes a trend then I'll start fretting.

I'm pretty optimistic about the defense though.

As I said before I felt they were on the field too much due to the Offense's lack of output, and they still showed some 3rd down jitters... But Norman and Breeland looked good as a pair. Two interceptions were there for the taking, they should have had those, but c'est la vie. Swearinger flies around and seems to give the D some swagger. I really like our Linebacker corps. I'm sure they were breaking in Galette easy too, but despite that and missing Murphy and Cravens I think this defense showed itself to be alot better than last year. A work in progress, but still better.

Considering the Offense gifted the Eagles with 3 fumbles and an interception... After looking shaky very early, they held the Eagles to just FG's despite our Offence trying hard to give the ball back to the Eagles with excellent field position.

So.... I'm actually quite hopeful despite the loss.

The Offense can surely only get better as we work Doctson in, Kirk warms up and we get him and Pryor synced up.
Surely the O-Line has to improve, they were good last year!
And the D, though a work in progress, looks better.

Furthermore I'll say this...

If we'd have been firing on all cylinders we would have won this game. The scoreline was more lopsided than it should have been bearing in mind the turnovers, and I never thought we were totally out of it till that last interception. We're a game down in the division now, but the Eagles don't scare me.

The Giants looked lackluster last night. Being as they lost last night we're only behind two teams in the NFC East, not three. So... positives and everything... LOL

Only the Cowboys currently make me nervous. They looked like they picked up where they left off last year.

Roll on the rest of the season. :D HTTR!

Was pleased with much from the defense. As they jell it should get even better.

Never have liked Crowder as a punt returner. He's always looked unsure catching the ball, to me.

The next time Trent (Dumb Dumb) Williams, or anybody else for that matter, calls this o-line Hogs 2.0, somebody oughta hit them with the 5 Point Exploding Heart Technique.

We need more than a $0 performance from our current starting QB. He should sign over this week's paycheck to charity. Cause he didn't earn a dime of it.

Yeah, bad outing, especially for the offense. Despite that, were somehow still in the game down to the last drive.

To me, really, it boiled down to the FOUR turnovers. You can't do that and expect to win any game. I thought the defense was solid (heck they even SCORED), but they were put into bad positions so many times by the offense and Crowder's muffed pr.

I have a new phone and went to the App store to download the BGO Messenger and I can't find it. :(

Any ideas? Anyone?

I really missed the live chatting during the game!

It'll be available today - sorry about that!

I will say this positive on Cousins. He was quite gutsy with his running and head-first style. I don't think I saw him slide once.
He's not afraid to bulldoze into any defender for some extra yards. May not be the smartest approach, but gutsy nonetheless. Between his running style, and chasing down interceptors in meaningless games like the Pro Bowl and the Preseason, no-one can question his grit.

I have to disagree (and pretty sure the coaching staff would agree with me) - there's no value in showing 'grit' at the end of a QB run. It's just plain stupid Fear. Aaron Rodgers slides every single time he finishes a run (at least when it's possible). It's actually just another sign that Cousins doesn't learn and frequently doesn't look like the vet starter he should look like by now.

That interception looked high, Crowder had to really jump for it and tipped it with his fingers. Six inches lower and he has it I think.

Am I the only one who saw that and thought the pass wasn't intended for Crowder, but a WR downfield? Kirk was upset and his body language seemed to be saying 'WTH Jamison - that ball wasn't for you!' Anyone else get that vibe on that play?

I have to disagree (and pretty sure the coaching staff would agree with me) - there's no value in showing 'grit' at the end of a QB run. It's just plain stupid Fear. Aaron Rodgers slides every single time he finishes a run (at least when it's possible). It's actually just another sign that Cousins doesn't learn and frequently doesn't look like the vet starter he should look like by now.

I like the fact that he did take it and run it... but I agree that he should be sliding! Did he learn nothing from the RGIII years?! LOL

Am I the only one who saw that and thought the pass wasn't intended for Crowder, but a WR downfield? Kirk was upset and his body language seemed to be saying 'WTH Jamison - that ball wasn't for you!' Anyone else get that vibe on that play?

I thought I'd seen/heard/read somewhere that Kirk had been looking elsewhere and then spotted Crowder open very late in the day and forced the pass...

Though maybe I got that out of context and in actual fact he had been throwing to someone else and Crowder tipping it caused the Interception.

Not sure... Was anyone else on the path of that pass?

Other than the Eagle's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.