• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO 'Feature of the Day'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
If you've been here long, you've no doubt learned one thing - there's a lot going on here :)

So I thought it might be useful to highlight a feature, option, or user friendly nugget here every day or so.

Hopefully, you all will check in occasionally and pick up on something you maybe weren't entirely familiar with.

Feature of the Day - 'Profile Videos'

Did you know you could host a youtube video on your personal profile page? In fact, you can use one or both of two separate methods. If you want a profile video to show up when someone first opens your profile, first, find the video you want hosted on youtube. Hightlight and copy the alpha-numeric sequence ID at the end of the video url (ex: if the video url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9JNXP9yQc copy only the ep9JNXP9yQc identifier). Go to 'User CP', select 'Edit Your Details', and scroll to the bottom of the page. In the 'You Tube Title' field, paste the code you copied, enter a title if you desire, and if you want the video to auto-play, enter '&autoplay=1' in the autoplay field. That's it!

If you'd like to have an additional video in your profile (this one located in the 'My Media' section of your profile), again go to 'User CP'. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the 'Goldbrick Options' and click on 'Profile Video'. Copy and paste the entire youtube url to your video in the field and save.

You're all set!

This made me grin.....I'm still getting used to the cool way I can read articles/posts so easily on my very inexpensive cell phone wherever I am stuck sitting and waiting (and if you have teenagers you know exactly what I'm talking about) and your tip is about posting a VIDEO.....my learning curve can't bend quite that far yet but I appreciate you setting the bar a bit higher....will try to keep reaching....lol
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Cool. But the first method doesn't seem to work correctly for me.

First - the youtube video window on the right side of my profile will not appear unless I place my youtube username in the youtube name box.

Once I do that and do the other two things and save, I can go back to my profile, and the youtube window is there, but it only lists the title IKCvtoFqWOQ in text, and below it is a plain white box which does nothing.

Doesn't matter what browser I use, ie or firefox.

Could this be a memory problem? Or maybe noob memberships like mine don't qualify for this degree of coolness?

The second method works fine. The vid is in the media area and plays wonderfully upon command.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a permissions setting, Mark. Will check & advise ...

Cool. But the first method doesn't seem to work correctly for me.

First - the youtube video window on the right side of my profile will not appear unless I place my youtube username in the youtube name box.

Once I do that and do the other two things and save, I can go back to my profile, and the youtube window is there, but it only lists the title IKCvtoFqWOQ in text, and below it is a plain white box which does nothing.

Doesn't matter what browser I use, ie or firefox.

Could this be a memory problem? Or maybe noob memberships like mine don't qualify for this degree of coolness?

The second method works fine. The vid is in the media area and plays wonderfully upon command.

Thanks

I'll take a peek at it this evening. Are you sure that the video you're trying to load isn't one that has 'embedding disabled'?

You're all set Mark - you actually had the video code pasted in the title field and vice versa. You're good to go. And nice video, that brings back a smile...I'll never forget that MNF comeback.

Om, Boone, thanks very much. So I am just dumb, apparently. Sheesh, and I spent a half hour trying to figure it out. :doh:

MikeSR - I agree - great music! Don't know what it is though.

It's interesting the league hasn't disabled the vid or audio. Maybe it's too good to disable... :)

Today's Feature: Military Flags and Instant Message Links in Member 'Post-bits'

I know. I know. What in the hell is a 'post-bit' you're wondering???

:)

Your 'post-bit' is the area that shows up whenever you make a post, and contains information like your member name, your location, your avatar, your post count, # of blogged posts, etc....

You may have noticed some of us have military service flags waving in our 'post-bits' or perhaps have a yahoo, MSN, skype, or other instant message icon there (allowing folks to IM you immediately by clicking on that link). So how do you make that happen for your own 'post-bit'?

Easy. Simply go to the 'User Cp' section located in the upper left hand corner of any page, select 'Edit My Details' and you'll see options to add either or both to your profile.

The Feature of the Day today is the BGO Arcade.

1.png

The BGO Arcade is filled with over 170 games from classics like pinball, skee ball, and poker, to lots and lots of recent favorites. If you get tired of trying to beat the BGO best score, players can challenge other BGO members by clicking on an 'opponents' username from anywhere in the Forums, and selecting 'Challenge ________ in the Arcade!'. Your opponent will get a private message informing them that a throwdown is imminent :) Members can also start 2, 4, 6, or 8 person tournaments in the game of their choice. There are tournaments awaiting players as we speak - just visit the Arcade to join in. Game high-score holders are identified by the Super Bowl trophy icon under their avatar, which lists games they are current champions for when hovered over.

The BGO Arcade is available as a Premium
premiumgold.png
feature.

Today's Feature of the Day is the Friends List. An easy way to know at a glance when your online friends are cruising the site is to add them to your 'Friends' list. Don't worry - they probably won't show up at your door asking for beers and nachos - although if they do, we really can't be held responsible :)

It's pretty simple. Click on a friend's username and go to their public profile. On the right hand side of their profile you'll see the option to 'Befriend ______'. Simply click on the link and that's all there is to it. Once they've confirmed you're friends, every time you log-in to the Home Page, you'll immediately see any of your logged-in friends in the 'Buddy List' on the left lower hand portion of your screen.

2.png

Today's Feature of the Day is the BGO NFL Spy. Our NFL Spy feature puts every official NFL Team Site and leading fan messageboard at your fingertips. There's no need to hunt, search, or google to find a place to listen in on this week's opposition. Just click on the dropdown menu, and you're there in an instant.

Wanna see your Redskins through the eyes of the opposition? It's easy.

Just visit the enemy :)

3.png

Today's Feature of the Day is our BGO Member Map.

Linked to the BGO Home Page, the Member Map allows you to quickly post up where you live, be it in Redskin's territory, on the 'left coast' or anywhere in between. We've got some international fans who've already found us and that's a target audience we'd love to have more of.

So if you haven't taken the time to join our Member Map, please do!

Remember...

We know you're obsessed.
Now tell us where
you hail from.

4.png
Today's Feature of the Day is the BGO Radio. BGO Radio takes advantage of an amazing internet music software, Pandora, which has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. 'The Music Genome Project' as Pandora describes itself, is one of the coolest tools for music lovers out there, where you can set up stations based on your favorite songs and bands. The software analyzes your likes and dislikes, and selects music with similar traits down to beat, rhythm, instrumentals, and vocal qualities. It's really an amazing creation.

There's nothing magical about BGO Radio, we've simply put Pandora right here within a click of you. You can enjoy our preset stations, or change them, or go solo with your own selections. We've put together a detailed 'how to' and you can also check Pandora's FAQs. The nicest thing? once you click on a station, you can continue to surf BGO (or for that matter anywhere else on the internet) and your BGO Radio will continue playing.

Enjoy!

The Feature of the Day today is BGO's Redskin's Media Guide Library.

1.png

The Media Guide Library is a virtual treasure-trove of Redskins information. Compiled in searchable PDF format, this collection of classic Redskins Media Guides provides a snapshot into burgundy and gold history you won't find anywhere else. We continue to grow this feature, but encourage you to check out the guides already available. It's well worth spending a few minutes to see what our Redskins looked like in our glorious seasons past.

Hi Boone and everyone from Bryan in scotland
I like the idea of the media guides, as a redskins fan from 1983,it takes me back to watching my first ever game Superbowl XVII when diesel destroyed the dolphins. I'm trying to get information from the guides but I can't access most of the one's I wish to access for the first year roster information for the data base i've been compiling. I wonder if other members maybe able to help. I need shirt numbers,names,positions,height,weight and colleges from guides '70-'76,'78-80,'82-'2004. if anyone can please help it was be greatly appreciated from a very frustrated redskins fan who's trying to compile a list of everyone who's made & failed to make the team or practice squads.

Hey Bryan,
Glad to have you here friend :cheers:
We are in the process of updating our Media Guide feature, so hope to soon have at least some of the information you are looking for accessible. Stay tuned!

The Feature of the Day today is BGO's Sports Radio Bot.

radiobot.PNG

The Sports Radio Bot allows members to access a wide variety of Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia sports radio internet feeds with the click of the mouse. And because we know you might like to eavesdrop on what this week's upcoming opponents are talking about, we've also given you feeds to every NFC East and other NFL city radio feeds as well. You won't find another NFL fan site out there that's trying so hard to creatively link you to your beloved NFL team and our hated rivals like we are.

Geographically challenged? If you aren't lucky enough to have Sunday Ticket, you can always tune in to one of the DC area internet radio feeds or catch the host town's broadcast of the game. We've done the legwork to huntdown the stations most likely to be carrying games.

The Sports Radio Bot is available as a Premium
premiumgold.png
feature.

I like the new chat toolbar at the bottom. That is pretty cool, very useful. I guess I need to add some friends to make the chat work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.