• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CNN/SI: Peter King MMQB Mailbag - How Shanahan Rebuilds Skins

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
MMQB Mail: How Shanahan might rebuild Redskins; all-pro feedback

WWSD? What Would Shanahan Do? That's the question on the minds of so many Redskins fans today as they close in on finalizing a contract with former Denver head coach Mike Shanahan, and I thought I'd tell you the four things I think he'll do early in his regime:

Here for the the rest...

Some interesting observations in King's article. Not sure how I feel about all of them either.

I don't remember the Broncos drafting Cutler being that much of a shocker...

I could see the O-Line/QB situation going that way, but I'd much prefer the line get fixed first.

As for Portis, he can suck my crank. After the reports that have filtered out of Redskins Park about his prima dona self the last few day, the sooner we kick his ass to the curb, the better. I don't even care if our run game sucks next year, get rid of this cancer

The only thing I don't see us doing is going to a 3-4. I don't think we have the personnel on defense for that. I think Zimmer is running a 4-3 right now in Cinncy so it seems he's used to a 4-3.

Yeah, the possible switch to the 3-4 is what really surprised me too. I don't see enough of the necessary personnel on this team to look at switching to that. Haynesworth might make a solid nose guy in the 3-4 but I don't see any Ends on the current roster for that scheme (maybe Alexander and Jarmon, but I'm not convinced right now). Rak would do ok at the left outside back position, much like Ware and Merriman. I guess Fletch could handle an ILB spot but he has always been the middle guy in a 4-3.

I just don't see it, personally but that is likely why I am a geek working out of my dining room and not an NFL coach or personnel guy, huh?

Didn't Shanahan recommend Alridge to Vinny? I have a feeling he will be the back with speed that will make the roster.

I have to be honest here, I generally dislike Peter King. He seems to take half truths, off hand comments and hearsay and turn them into football stories. He makes PFT look like the Wall Street Journal in comparison at times.

Yes Zimmer did have some experience in Dallas running a 3-4. He did so, from what I understand, reluctantly as he has far more experience, and preference, running a 4-3. I’m not saying we shouldn’t explore the idea as this idea comes up almost every year, but his “insider info” on this comes from an offhand remark made at a camp of a team that runs a 3-4 and has the personnel to do so. What are we going to do put Haynesworth at NT? I highly doubt it. With a tweak here and there our defense, running a 4-3 could be very good. Why blow that up? I can’t see it.

I think saying we should “expect the unexpected” from Shanahan in personnel moves is a little silly too. Dan made it clear that Allen is going to have the final say in personnel matters, and although I’m sure there will be input from all parties, Shanahan is not going to have full control here. Shanahan may have made more than his share when he was pulling all the strings, I’d have to take a closer look to be sure. Regardless, that shouldn’t be an issue here.

King can afford to be dismissive about Campbell, Allen and Shanahan cannot. The position of QB might be filled by a rookie we draft in the first couple of rounds this spring, but maybe not. I mentioned in another post that it would be foolish for us to tip our hand in any way. We need to keep our options open and keep other teams guessing. It will put us in a better position draft wise if we want to take a certain player or trade down. EVERYONE in football knew we wanted Campbell a few years back and we got fleeced for it. That’s bad planning and we can’t allow it to happen again.

That’s why I don’t read King much.

Dan made it clear that Allen is going to have the final say in personnel matters, and although I’m sure there will be input from all parties, Shanahan is not going to have full control here.
That's interesting, because according to Schefter's article this morning, it's actually Shannahan, working under the title of Executive Vice President, that will "have the ultimate authority on football decisions."

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out, especially when there's a matter that one adamantly disagrees with the other about.

That's interesting, because according to Schefter's article this morning, it's actually Shannahan, working under the title of Executive Vice President, that will "have the ultimate authority on football decisions."

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out, especially when there's a matter that one adamantly disagrees with the other about.

I saw that too, and I thought about my (incorrect?) post immediately after. Kinda makes you wonder how the vice president will over-rule the president.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.