• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Report: Redskins to overhaul organization, Gruden will NOT be coach

Spence

The Rookie
Reaction score
Former Redskins beat reporter Jason LaCanfora is writing that Jon Gruden has an iron-clad contract with ESPN through 2010 and there is no chance he will be the next Redskins head coach. Instead, the team is looking at former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan as part of a thorough house-cleaning of the organization to turn the franchise around. The hiring of Bruce Allen is only the first step in changing the front office. Allen is not known as a personnel expert and LaCanfora writes that Redskins owner Dan Snyder is searching for a top personnel expert to join the team, as well.
Read it all.

I'm a little confused. If Allen is not a "personnel expert", tehn why is he here?

YES!! Complete overhaul. Hell freaking yes. It's sooo about time for that 'eh? Bummed about no Chucky but thrilled beyond belief that Bug Eyes won't be rubber stamping any more of the Imperious Leader's brilliant ideas.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm a little confused. If Allen is not a "personnel expert", tehn why is he here?

One of the guys on that Packer site that lives in Florida said that in Tampa, Chucky made the personnel decisions and Allen handled cap issues. So, if the Skins got Shanny, for example, that might mean Shanny picks 'em and Allen handles money issues.

Cap issues, trade negotiations, etc. Trades were one glaring weakness of Vinny's, as the rest of the league seemed to always bend him over in all trades. Sigh.

He's a leader/organizer sort. He's going to coordinate the new, more NFL-standard organization. This means we'll actually have the right people in the right jobs if everything goes well.

It also says, to me at least, that Snyder may be taking a more hands off approach if he's bringing in someone like Allen. Though, is the overhaul Allen's idea or Snyder's?

I'm a little confused. If Allen is not a "personnel expert", then why is he here?

Looks like he's just the GM/salary cap guru/negotiator. Guess he's part of a team that will include a "personnel expert". Would love to see De Costa fill that roll.

Maybe Snyder brought Allen in and said "Make the team a winner" and now it's Allen's job to evaluate everybody and everything. Maybe it is his job to assemble a team that can manage this thing. One can only hope.

The timing makes sense. He has three weeks to evaluate the coaches and the players. If they waited until the end of the year, they wouldn't be able to evaluate the coaches and players under fire so to speak.

Some reports have Shanahan as the front runner. Word is Jerrah wants Shanahan if things keep falling apart in Dallas. Guess Snyder wanted first crack and removed a major hurdle this morning.

Read where Gruden is signed through 2010, so maybe we keep Zorn for one more year then get Gruden.

The thing is with Snyder to expect the unexpected.

I was just on another site reading the responses posted here.

Weird.

I am inclined to think we need to bring in some fresh blood to coach this team! Let them be the coach and hire some personnel people to bring in the talent. Let the coach suggest what he needs and have whomever acquire said need.

I was big on someone like Shanahan or Cowher or even Gruden when we saw that Zorn was not gonna be the one, but I think I have changed my tune. I am tired of football minds who have had success come into a new organization and think they can do it all. Holmgren had some success in Seattle, but he didn't get it done. Shanahan more than likely would not have won without Elway and the rest of the already assembled team. So why do we want him here assembling a team if he hasn't had success winning it all when he did have that authority?

I guess what I am saying, it is about a network of players and not one individual. I think it was apparent when Gibbs returned without Bethard and the cast of coaches he had during his Glory years, even though he did leave this team in better condition than when he arrived.

If this guy DeCosta is that good, go get him! Hire a young mind like Brian Shottenheimer to coach this team. Hire him a good DC, maybe luring Ryan out of Cleveland or picking him up after they are dismantled. Of course the names don't have to be the ones I mentioned above, but we need an entire team of football minds to come in and succeed.

I just don't like the idea of bringing in someone who has already won in the NFL, giving them more responsibility than they deserve. Let's assemble the whole package this time!

I know this is a glorious day with Vinny gone, I guess have been desensitized by these splash moves and I think this one is. Why else would he have mentioned it before the last 2 home games of the year? I am not saying this isn't a good move, but what is the motivation for the timing? I think it is an attempt to boost revenue over the final 2 games of the year at home!

We have not won a SB in nearly 20 years and until we look like a team that can contend I am gonna reserve any more enthusiasm over the hiring of one man. I am happy Vinny is gone, but we still have a long road ahead.

Last edited:
What they mean here is that Allen was never a personnel scout and came up in the NFL through the true 'front' office.

He can evaluate talent but is not going to be like Beathard, who got on a bus or plane and scouted each and every player the team was considering as a potential draft pick.

The Redskins will need to hire a top scout to head the department and be that person.

I thought I had read where Allen had brought Bobby DePaul, a long-time Redskins scout, back into the organization.

Perhaps that is the first step in putting the new structure in place.

What they mean here is that Allen was never a personnel scout and came up in the NFL through the true 'front' office.

He can evaluate talent but is not going to be like Beathard, who got on a bus or plane and scouted each and every player the team was considering as a potential draft pick.

The Redskins will need to hire a top scout to head the department and be that person.

I thought I had read where Allen had brought Bobby DePaul, a long-time Redskins scout, back into the organization.

I found this little snippet from Jason LaCanfora from NFL.com about possible personnel guys-it mantions DePaul-and others.

The Redskins will explore candidates to round out the front office in player-personnel roles, according to sources, with current personnel executives such as Eric DeCosta (Baltimore), Bobby DePaul (Chicago) and Doug Williams (Tampa Bay) among possibilities. The Redskins came close to hiring DePaul to replace Cerrato twice during the Gibbs regime, according to sources, and DeCosta, a rising star as Ozzie Newsome's top lieutenant with the Ravens, began his career with the Redskins. Williams won a Super Bowl as the Redskins' quarterback and worked under Allen for the Buccaneers in personnel.

Th thrust of the article revolves around Shanahan-here's the link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8150a16a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I peaked in on ES and it's crazy. Seems Gruden is shopping for a house near Redskin Park, Shanahan is at Redskin Park, Kubiak is next HC, and Gruden has an offer to be our HC.

Waiting for someone to post that team doctor has cloned Lombardi and he is on practice field with the team.

Crap! Who's been hacking my Facebook page-I wasn't going to let that out till Monday!:uhoh:

Exactly

DePaul, Decosta (although it would be a lateral move for him so its doubtful he is the man) or even possibly Doug Williams

Perhaps just promoting one of Brown or Campbell would do the trick

Bruce Allen seems to be more of an "executive" GM and less of the "scouting GM" as you alluded to

I peaked in on ES and it's crazy. Seems Gruden is shopping for a house near Redskin Park, Shanahan is at Redskin Park, Kubiak is next HC, and Gruden has an offer to be our HC.

Waiting for someone to post that team doctor has cloned Lombardi and he is on practice field with the team.

Now that's funny :claps:

The hot rumor over at the "other site" is that Allen is going to bring Doug Williams over from Tampa to head personnel. What does this mean for guys like Morocco Brown?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.