• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Armchair GM's are some of the most entertaining people.
Shame they waste their talents in other occupations.

Just remember that Dez Bryant with 69 catches for 850 yards and 6 TDs in 2017 can't help us in the passing game with Richardson and Crowder out.

At least that's the opinion of Bruce & Co.

Has been all season.

That type of ‘group think' is why we continue to bring Lauvao back year after year despite diminishing returns and thinking we will be fine.

Hey Ax, don't forget that Pat Riley used to be on the Lakers' radio broadcast with Chick Hearn and talked about making changes for the team to move forward from Paul Westhead.

The owner Buss heard his comments and they offered him the head coaching job.

He went on to win 4 rings.

Now he was a former NBA player not just a guy eating a bag of Cheetos watching the team in his man cave but his hire was originally lampooned by many in the NBA.

You can also look at baseball 29 year old GMs like Cashman and Epstein that won big with analytics while being crushed by veteran managers like Dusty Baker that managed from the hip.

The Redskins have done nothing in recent years to think there aren't ways to improve and some of those improvements come in areas where the team seems to have an organizational blind spot.

Or we could have signed one of the 3 guards out there who were better and younger than him, instead of re-signing him.

Bulldog was correct, Troy Apke was a wasted 4th round pick, epsecially when he was slated to go in the 5th or 6th round...we spent a 4th that could have gone toward a young OG/C. Just because we took Christian in the 3rd, didn't mean we couldn't taken an OG/C in the 4th. It was a position of need for depth, desperate need.

I've already conceded going with Lauvao was a risk. Now you need to concede that an ACL tear is the result of a violent hit - and has zero to do with how 'injury prone' someone is (unless one has had a previous tear) :) No matter what decisions a team makes, there are risks involved. Based on what we know about this year, they should've drafted nothing but OL, WR, and RB - right? Problem is, we don't have a crystal ball. But yeah, we need more OL depth.

As for Christian and Apke - you guys can pretend to know what we have there and that those were terrible picks, but it's way too early to make those kinds of determinations imho.

Hey Ax, don't forget that Pat Riley used to be on the Lakers' radio broadcast with Chick Hearn and talked about making changes for the team to move forward from Paul Westhead.

The owner Buss heard his comments and they offered him the head coaching job.

He went on to win 4 rings.

Now he was a former NBA player not just a guy eating a bag of Cheetos watching the team in his man cave but his hire was originally lampooned by many in the NBA.

You can also look at baseball 29 year old GMs like Cashman and Epstein that won big with analytics while being crushed by veteran managers like Dusty Baker that managed from the hip.

The Redskins have done nothing in recent years to think there aren't ways to improve and some of those improvements come in areas where the team seems to have an organizational blind spot.

Well kudos to Riley for doing more than just talking.

Other than that, so what?

Just because you believe you know more than every front office in the league, concerning Dez Bryant, doesn't mean the guy's worth having on the roster.

I'm sure if someone eventually signs him, and he scores a TD, you'll be the first one doing an endzone dance proclaiming again to be the smartest armchair GM on the planet.:peaceful:

It's why we love you!

Well, evidently the Saints and Sean Payton brought Bryant in yesterday to meet with the team.

So, I might not be the only one that thinks some value can be had from an out of work veteran who is probably hungry now to make a contribution and earn a contract for 2019.

Bryant may have been viewed as a cancer in Dallas near the end, but as we are seeing now the Cowboys have been blaming the receivers for years for their failures but even the trade for Amari Cooper and his TD production last night only resulted in 14 points total.

Perhaps Bryant was right that he was a scapegoat for the failures of Jason Garrett in scheming the offense and in Dak Prescott in consistently making the right decisions throwing the ball.

My main point with Bryant though is not only to target him but also to bring up that the Redskins tend to look with tunnel vision at times and close themselves off from bringing in guys that might be able to help.

Belichick almost never says 'never' in regards to a particular player if he has some talent and a potential role on the Patriots.

He rolled the dice on Randy Moss. He rolled the dice on Antowain Smith. He rolled the dice on Corey Dillon. This year he rolled the dice on Josh Gordon.

Has he missed on some guys too? Yep. He traded for Haynesworth and then cut him in the final push to 53 back in 2011 to name just one.

But who are the Redskins to limit their options when the lack of talent and productivity is so glaring?

These guys at Redskins Park are simply stubborn and that includes Gruden.

If we go back and look at what Vinny Cerrato was doing here in Washington from 2000-2008 there were the same complaints from some fans that criticism by others of the team's moves were the result of arm chair quarterbacking.

In retrospect a lot of that criticism was not only from fans but from former Redskins players and personnel guys from around the NFL.

When you look at this team's record, it's been so pathetic that a run of 9-7, 8-7-1 and 7-9 the past 3 years is considered mildly successful.

That's how far expectations for this franchise have fallen along with the growing number of empty seats each Sunday.

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking the same thing last night.

How many times do we see an injury ravaged team play beyond it's potential... Or is that just against the Redskins...
Case in point the Falcons who were supposed to be beat up and easy pickings for our D

But that doesn't happen here with the current incarnation of the Redskins.
It used to, when Joe Gibbs was on the sideline but Jay has never shown that ability.

Which is why it's very amusing to read the twitterverse where fans still think this team is playoff bound fielding an Oline of cooks and bottle washers that got signed off the street.

Get a grip DP - and i say that with love. We had a less talented team last year, and finished .500 down the stretch with walk-on's filling critical holes. If we can manage that this year we finish the season 9-7. You can argue that will be enough to win the NFC East.

Saying it happens doesn't make it happen - but you are really overstating things.

The Redskins wins have been keyed this year by 3 things:

1) Solid as hell Special Teams. No one EVER acknowledges this - but we are very solid across the board.
2) An imposing defense. I know. We looked like crap against the Atlanta Falcons. But we are very good defensively overall.
3) Commitment to the run. Yes - I know. It's going to be tough to run when half your OL are journeymen. I think that's a fair assessment. But for years, all I've heard is that a balanced attack is crucial to our success. We need to run it even when we are not gaining megayards in the process. I'm confident we WILL continue to run it. We will also get Chris Thompson back soon, and Kapri Bibbs has shown promise, so that may not mean a 1 man show going forward.

The Redskins are still in the driver's seat for a playoff appearance. That's a fact. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that possibility.

I've already conceded going with Lauvao was a risk. Now you need to concede that an ACL tear is the result of a violent hit - and has zero to do with how 'injury prone' someone is (unless one has had a previous tear) :) No matter what decisions a team makes, there are risks involved. Based on what we know about this year, they should've drafted nothing but OL, WR, and RB - right? Problem is, we don't have a crystal ball. But yeah, we need more OL depth.

As for Christian and Apke - you guys can pretend to know what we have there and that those were terrible picks, but it's way too early to make those kinds of determinations imho.

You're being disingenuous. It is whom we drafted that is the problem. I have no idea what Troy Apke offers this team in the future, but we reached with that pick, and could have done better. But oooooh! He's fast!

As for the other positions, you're misrepresenting what I've said. I did not want to see another WR drafted, I think I was rather clear I wanted a veteran presence at WR. You know that. We have some talent out wide, but not enough to think another rookie would have been the answer. So we sign an oft injured Paul Richardson. There was much better out there.

Same for the RB position, it took some time...but I was all on board with the Guice pick with the trade to end up with the player we likely wanted all along. However, we were so deplete with talent at that position, again...I wanted a veteran RB to go with the young talent. And you know who I thought would have been a great acquisition when the market opened up, at a good price. He is not a super star, but he is a very good RB in this league. And please don't suggest he was less than he was because Cleveland traded him to Jax..they were stacked at that position so they got some value since they wanted to let Chubb take over. We lucked out and got Petesron, but he or another veteran FA should have been brought in. Fat Rob, Samaje, and even Bibbs are not the answer.

Anyone know the latest on Quinn ?
Is he coming back this week, and possibly playing against the Bucs ?

Gruden said yesterday they wanted to see what he could do this week before making a decision.

You're being disingenuous. It is whom we drafted that is the problem. I have no idea what Troy Apke offers this team in the future, but we reached with that pick, and could have done better. But oooooh! He's fast!

As for the other positions, you're misrepresenting what I've said. I did not want to see another WR drafted, I think I was rather clear I wanted a veteran presence at WR. You know that. We have some talent out wide, but not enough to think another rookie would have been the answer. So we sign an oft injured Paul Richardson. There was much better out there.

Same for the RB position, it took some time...but I was all on board with the Guice pick with the trade to end up with the player we likely wanted all along. However, we were so deplete with talent at that position, again...I wanted a veteran RB to go with the young talent. And you know who I thought would have been a great acquisition when the market opened up, at a good price. He is not a super star, but he is a very good RB in this league. And please don't suggest he was less than he was because Cleveland traded him to Jax..they were stacked at that position so they got some value since they wanted to let Chubb take over. We lucked out and got Petesron, but he or another veteran FA should have been brought in. Fat Rob, Samaje, and even Bibbs are not the answer.

So you didn't want us to draft an 'oft-injured' Richardson, but were fine with us drafting a 'just-injured' Allen Robinson? I hear you on the line depth, I don't really disagree with you on that point. As far as RB goes, what has 'what's his name' done this year? I'm asking seriously because I'm too lazy to look it up. But I'm guessing the answer is 'nothing impressive' ...

We had a less talented team last year, and finished .500 down the stretch with walk-on's filling critical holes. If we can manage that this year we finish the season 9-7. You can argue that will be enough to win the NFC East. .

This is true but don't ignore the elephant in the room:

We had a better QB under center last year vs this year.

And when I say that, I mean from the standpoint he was better because he knew the offense and his receivers, where Alex is still learning.

I agree with you that Special teams has been solid.

As for the defense, while improved, the book is out on them now: They cannot limit or stop a legit passing offense. They can't handle rub routes either. Wonder what Fitzpatrick and Co. are going to run vs our secondary this weekend?

I just don't see how they'll move the ball and score when they were struggling with our Oline intact. I know that must sound crazy but maybe that's just me?

The Redskins are not a juggernaut team but the next 4 games against Atlanta, Houston, Tampa Bay and Dallas is not exactly murderer's row :)

These teams can and have been beaten in 2018. Right now, only one has a winning record.

In the past, teams that have played the Redskins have used us to 'kickstart' their season. Just because three of those teams have a losing record now doesn't mean they will at season's end.

Remember, they are playing the Redskins.

So you didn't want us to draft an 'oft-injured' Richardson, but were fine with us drafting a 'just-injured' Allen Robinson? I hear you on the line depth, I don't really disagree with you on that point. As far as RB goes, what has 'what's his name' done this year? I'm asking seriously because I'm too lazy to look it up. But I'm guessing the answer is 'nothing impressive' ...

In 5 starts with Cleveland, he rushed for almost 400 yards and had 5 TD's, while sharing time with Duke Johnson and Nick Chubb. Pretty good numbers he could have shared with Guice. I know this will blow yourmind, but if Hyde had been here, would Guice been in on the play where he was hurt?

And actually, if you recall our discussion, I said bring Richardson in, too...we could afford both.

Elephant - when Hyde was in Cleveland he had a 3.4 yards per carry average.

I don't see how that was worth trading for. Hyde is 28. He is what he is as a runner, there is no upside there from here.

The Patriots were smart. They got a productive WR in Gordon and they got him for nothing to fill one of their definite need areas.

Gordon and a #7 went to Cleveland for a #5 .

So, in essence Belichick traded a #6 pick for a guy who is already making a difference.

Bruce and Co. are so afraid of making a mistake now they don't want to take any real risks.

Elephant - when Hyde was in Cleveland he had a 3.4 yards per carry average.

I don't see how that was worth trading for. Hyde is 28. He is what he is as a runner, there is no upside there from here.

The Patriots were smart. They got a productive WR in Gordon and they got him for nothing to fill one of their definite need areas.

Gordon and a #7 went to Cleveland for a #5 .

So, in essence Belichick traded a #6 pick for a guy who is already making a difference.

Bruce and Co. are so afraid of making a mistake now they don't want to take any real risks.
But there's a difference between sending a troubled player to the Patriots, where Brady and Belichick don't tolerate BS and sending him here,where discipline isn't exactly the Redskins forte'......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.