• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kelly Responds To Shanahan

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Good snippet on Redskins Insider today about Kelly's meeting with Shanahan this week and about what to expect in 2010.

Interestingly Kelly emphasized that Shanahan is committed to using all of the younger receivers 'in the situations that fit them best' and that he had been 'waiting two years for this'.

We didn't perhaps expect Shanahan to do otherwise, however it is worth noting that Kelly doesn't think this happened while Zorn was here with Sherman Smith.

More than once fans, local media and even the network guys questioned how the Redskins with such little productivity on offense could continue to keep all three 2008 picks off the field or put them in spots that did not favor their skills.

This was especially evident in the lack of a red zone strategy for the 6'4 Kelly, 6'3 Thomas and 6'4 Davis.

I remember Troy Aikman asking why the Redskins were running isolations in the end zone to the 5'10 ARE while the team had THREE receivers over 6'2 on the roster.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, this is good news. Those picks may end up sucking, or they may be superstars, but we were never going to find out with them sitting on the bench

Ditto for Marko Mitchell, who does appear quite raw and perhaps a developmental player in 2010 as well, but a player who could help the team in certain situations based on the matchups.

I don't know about him. Seems like more of a Rock type special teams guys.

Makes me wonder what other player that get dogged might produce better if they are put in situation that favor their skills set ie Campbell

Well I think Zorn was a little embarrassed by how quickly Fred Davis started to make plays once he got on the field.

Just a few weeks before Zorn intimated that Fred didn't know all the plays and wasn't ready.

Perhaps Zorn set the bar too high and simply refused to put the younger players on the field in situations they COULD contribute in while still needing more work overall.

Very happy about this, it use to drive me insane why we weren't throwing fades to Thomas, Kelly and even Mitchell. I really hope ARE is gone, he's been one big waste of money.

And nobody realized that more than Bill Cowher and the Steelers who refused to give him a big contract after the Super Bowl.

One of the biggest mistakes mediocre front offices make is overpaying for complementary players that do well in the Super Bowl but have a hard time cracking the regular starting lineup on their team during the regular season.

Yeah exactly. I thought something was fishy with him leaving Pitt, just didn't make sense, but now of course it does.

Except for punt returns, I think ARE has been a pretty decent complimentary player for us. Then again, that's exactly what he was in Pittsburgh. I don't blame him at all. I just blame the FO for overpaying for him.

I'm hoping Shanahan gives all these young guys a chance to shine so we can see if they really are worth a damn or not. Let 'em see the field and if they don't produce, replace 'em. If they do, we can all breathe a sigh of relief. If they don't, we can continue to bash Vinny. ;)

We did over pay him, but I still don't think he's been all that great as a receiver. Only a couple plays stand out to me. His dropped passes on important downs stand out a lot though. Granted some might have been bad passes by Campbell, but I remember him dropping some perfect ones.

Thank effing god - fade routes to ARE and Moss make NO EFFING SENSE! That was the thing that ticked me off the most by far this season. Kelly, Mitchell, Davis and Thomas on the sideline for red zone plays...it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize you need tall guys down there.

Well I think Zorn was a little embarrassed by how quickly Fred Davis started to make plays once he got on the field.

Just a few weeks before Zorn intimated that Fred didn't know all the plays and wasn't ready.

My opinion on this is that Davis probably didn't know terminology or exact plays when Zorn quizzed him, and therefore Zorn assumed he couldn't run them on the field. However, in the huddle, a veteran just has to say "Fred, this play means you chip on the OLB and run an out to the flat," and he can go do that. Some guys are just better at learning by doing, rather than classroom work - just get them on the field and let their talent and ability do the rest. I don't think Zorn understood that.

Except for punt returns, I think ARE has been a pretty decent complimentary player for us. Then again, that's exactly what he was in Pittsburgh. I don't blame him at all. I just blame the FO for overpaying for him.

Yeah, but punt returns were 50% of why we signed him to that fat contract!!

Randle El PR:

1 TD (2006)
10 - 20+ YD return
2 - 40+ YD return
8 Fumbles

ARE is one of the worst punt returners in Redskins' history given his longevity.

When you have players that are within a yard or two per carry from scrimmage away from the punt return averages you know you need a change.

It appeared that the more reps ARE got at WR the less focus, concentration and fearlessness he showed on returns.

I'm sure the last few years had to have been frustrating for lots of guys on the offense, but I can't imagine how it must have been being a receiver. Glad to see he's got Kelly excited.

I, for one, will be glad to dump ARE, but I think it is important to remember he stepped into a role that he was not supposed to fill here. He became our #2 receiver when LLoyd didn't pan out. He has averaged over 40 catches per year, which is what I remember many people over at ES clamored for.

Too bad he is the worst punt returner in the history of the team! OK, maybe that is an overstatement, but he does suck in that role! I just think we should remember that there were many a 3rd and long where Randle El was clutch.

The thing that really upset me this past season was Randle El seemed to call a fair catch when he had at least 5+ yards of room after catching the ball. Yet he would take the ball when players were on top of him.

I'm sorry he didn't work out, but I won't miss him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.