• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Shanahan QB's

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Big ups to our friend Nighthawk for putting together this brief history of Mike Shanahan's QB's during his NFL head coaching and drafting run:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=314642

With all the talk about whether or not Jason Campbell will be here next year and whether or not we'll draft a QB with our 1st pick, I decided to take a look at Shanahan's coaching career and the QB's he's had and how the were obtained.

1988 Shanahan is hired to be the Raiders HC. The Raiders trade for Jay Schroeder (3-5) and draft Steve Beuerlin (4-4). (A veteran starter and a rookie backup)

1989 Shanahan is fired 5 games into the season. Schroeder (4-5) and Beuerlin (4-3) split the season.

After stints in Denver and San Francisco, Shanahan is hired as HC of the Broncos.

1995 Shanahan inherits John Elway (8-8). He brings Bill Musgrave with him from San Francisco. (veteran starter, young backup)

1996 John Elway (13-2), Bill Musgrave (0-1) and the Broncos draft Jeff Lewis, 4th round out of Northern Arizona. He lasts 2 seasons in Denver. (Denver loses to Jacksonville in playoffs)

1997 John Elway (12-4), FA Bubby Brister, Jeff Lewis (Denver wins Superbowl) (veteran starter, veteran back-up, young back-up)

1998 John Elway (10-2), Bubby Brister (4-0), and the Broncos draft Brian Griese, 3rd round, Michigan. (Denver wins Superbowl) (veteran starter, veteran back-up, rookie)

1999 Brian Griese (4-9), FA Chris Miller (2-1), Bubby Brister

2000 Brian Griese (7-3), FA Gus Frerotte (4-2), and the Broncos draft Jarious Jackson, 7th round out of Notre Dame. He lasts 4 seasons. (Denver loses to Baltimore in wildcard playoff game.)

2001 Brian Griese (8-7), Gus Frerotte (0-1), Jarious Jackson

2002 Brian Griese (8-5), FA Steve Beuerlin (1-2), Jarious Jackson

2003 FA Jake Plummer (9-2), Steve Beuerlin (1-1), FA Danny Kanell (0-2), Jarious Jackson (0-1) (Denver loses to Indianapolis in wildcard playoff game.)

2004 Jake Plummer (10-6), Danny Kanell Denver drafts Matt Mauck, 7th round, LSU and Bradlee Van Pelt, 7th round Colorado State(Denver loses to Indianapolis in wildcard playoff game.)

2005 Jake Plummer (13-3), Bradlee Van Pelt (Denver loses to Pittsburgh in Conference Championship.)

2006 Jake Plummer (7-4), Denver drafts Jay Cutler (2-3), 1st round, Vanderbilt.

2007 Jay Cutler (7-9), FA Patrick Ramsey

2008 Jay Cutler (8-8), Patrick Ramsey

So, what does all this tell me? It tell me that Shanahan will draft a QB and bring in his own chosen FA Veteran QB.

Last edited:
I'd bet dollars to donuts that Shanahan keeps Campbell. He's a veteran, has a lot of starts under his belt, is tough (hallmark of Shanahan QBs), and most importantly has the locker room. The advantages of keeping him far outweigh those of letting him go, IMO.

In addition to Campbell, he'll draft a QB this April, probably in the later rounds.

That would be my guess as well. They can probably sign Campbell for a modest contract and draft a rookie in the later rounds to develop.

Of course an opportunity to be able to draft a QB so high should only come along rarely. If the brain trust believes that one of the guys who are available could become the man, then I could see them going that way. I was completely opposed to taking a QB early, but I'm starting to warm a little to the idea if they're convinced he's the right guy. Trading down and still getting the right guy would be better, but I digress.

One thing I like about the way Denver went about drafting Cutler was that it was a complete shock to everyone, including Cutler that they were even interested. I applaud that; "Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking."

A LOT depends on whether or not Campbell WANTS to come back. Of course, playing under the Shanahans would be a golden opportunity for him but if a deal can't be reached fairly quickly to bring him back, I think the team goes in a different direction.

As a likely RFA, it won't be Campbell's decision, solely the Redskins'.

As a likely RFA, it won't be Campbell's decision, solely the Redskins'.

And other teams - Campbell is free to sign with another team, but depending on what level the Skins tender offer is, they will have to forfeit potentially as high as a 1st-round pick.

And other teams - Campbell is free to sign with another team, but depending on what level the Skins tender offer is, they will have to forfeit potentially as high as a 1st-round pick.

I'd be a little surprised if the offer commanded anything higher than a 3rd rounder. After trying to replace him all last year, Danny may not want to sign a paycheck higher than that.

If the Redskins match the offer, Campbell ain't going nowhere, so it's solely the Redskins' decision.

If the Redskins match the offer, Campbell ain't going nowhere, so it's solely the Redskins' decision.

I could be wrong, but I think its the opposite of that - the Redskins make a tender offer on one of three levels of compensation - no pick, a 3rd round pick, and a first round pick. Another team can then match that offer, and Campbell chooses whether or not to leave. If he chooses to leave, that team then must surrender whatever pick the level of compensation demands. There is no matching from the Skins, they've already offered what they can...

But again, I could be wrong.

EDIT: I looked it up, and if the Skins don't sign him to an offer sheet, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. The level of our offer sheet determines the compensation, and other teams can then try to sign him by beating the offer. Once he has been made an offer by another team, we then have 7 days to match - if we decide not to match it, the team has to give us compensation based on the original offer sheet. So I guess we're both right, lol.

EDIT 2: According to the wiki page, we can give Campbell the lowest tender, and if he signs with another team, they'd have to forfeit a 2nd-round pick, because its based on their original draft status (but 2nd-round pick is the highest possible). If this is true, the Redskins would be foolish not to tender him the lowest offer possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be a little surprised if the offer commanded anything higher than a 3rd rounder. After trying to replace him all last year, Danny may not want to sign a paycheck higher than that.

It's not Snyder's decision. :eclipsee_Victoria:

It's not Snyder's decision. :eclipsee_Victoria:

Ultimately, it really IS Danny's decision.....IF he really doesn't want him. Danny is the one that signs the paychecks so he has to agree to Campbell's contract. Then again, if he really HAS decided to step back then he'll likely agree to whatever Allen and Shanahan want.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Shanahan keeps Campbell. He's a veteran, has a lot of starts under his belt, is tough (hallmark of Shanahan QBs), and most importantly has the locker room. The advantages of keeping him far outweigh those of letting him go, IMO.

In addition to Campbell, he'll draft a QB this April, probably in the later rounds.

I'm on the same train. Peter King the other day was talking about getting rid of Campbell and getting another year out of Portis. This to me would be a bonehead manuver, especially in light of Portis' recent diarehia of mouth. When push came to shove last week, you notice who the rest of the team sided with in the Campbell/Portis drama?

It wasn't Portis.

Point being;

Portis is due an assload of money for a premier running back, not ot mention a RB in the downside.

Portis is not a team player.

Portis has no friends in the locker room.

Three strikes

Bye bye

The problem is Portis is due 7 million this year with a 6 million dollar guarantee. So if the Skins cut him they still have to pay him most of his salary. That is why I think they keep Portis. I do think there will be a FA or someone drafted and that he will be part of a committee. However, I think Portis will be a Redskin next year.

If we dump Portis and he signs with another team, we do get a chunk of that money back. I just read that someplace earlier today, but don't remember where.

If we dump Portis and he signs with another team, we do get a chunk of that money back. I just read that someplace earlier today, but don't remember where.

If that is true then I will change my mind. I don't think Portis is done, he would catch on somewhere else. If we get some money back then I say drop him.

Last edited:
I'm on the same train. Peter King the other day was talking about getting rid of Campbell and getting another year out of Portis. This to me would be a bonehead manuver, especially in light of Portis' recent diarehia of mouth. When push came to shove last week, you notice who the rest of the team sided with in the Campbell/Portis drama?

It wasn't Portis.

Point being;

Portis is due an assload of money for a premier running back, not ot mention a RB in the downside.

Portis is not a team player.

Portis has no friends in the locker room.

Three strikes

Bye bye
Portis' greatest value to us at this point is in being the guy the F.O. makes an example of through addition by subtraction. If paying him an injury settlement or even the full value still owed on his contract is the cost of it, I'm cool with it. If this year does end up uncapped, we can't miss the chance to unload this much deadwood.

As for Snyder, perhaps this will be a lesson for him about overspending. When it works out, great, but when it doesn't, overspending can create real problems-salary cap and otherwise.

Last edited:
We will (or at least should) unquestionably tender Campbell at a level that requires draft pick compensation a bit above what we think another team would be willing to provide.

JC is not an elite qb. He's apparently an average to mediocre NFL starter, which means a stellar back-up. We paid Collins $3m/yr to be a solid back-up qb, w/ no long-term potential; there's no way we don't tender Campbell, and either keep him to be a place-holder for a year and/or compete w/ another qb for starting role in 2010--or tender him and then decline to match/let him go to some other team and get a draft pick out of it.

I believe roughly $3.2 million requires a 1st and a 3d in compensation, and roughly $3 million requires a 1st (and someone above suggests that some lower level tender would require a 2d). And I'm pretty sure we can agree to some lesser compensation from another interested team, if we want.

So that means we tender JC, make him an RFA, then decide whether to have him compete to start; be a cheap and capable back-up; or get whatever draft pick compensation we can, which I'd think would be in the neighborhood of a 2d (maybe more, given that the salary would be low). In none of those scenarios do we just cut him instead of tendering him. I'm hoping that Allen's reputed GM savvy will lead him to see this.

From everything Shanahan has said, it seems he's interested in, or at least hasn't ruled out, bringing back Campbell and seeing what he's got. Maybe he's blowing smoke, trying to drive up interest from another team. But either way, Shanahan's comments are completely consistent w/ tendering JC, thereby making him a RFA, and putting all the cards in our hand about keeping him on the cheap, or getting a draft pick for him.

Bad offensive line, average receiving core and no running game and Jason Campbell still had over 62 % completion rating, 3618 yards and 20 TDs. I think you fix everything around Campbell and he would a very good QB. I have no problem if we want to draft a QB 4th round or later but I don't think we need to give up on Campbell just yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.