• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Analyzing the Draft by a professional Skins fan but an ameteur scout:

Grade the Draft

• A

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • B

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • C

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skinsfan76

The Starter
Reaction score
I am not as optimistic as some on some of the players in the draft. Don't get me wrong it was a really good draft but a couple of head scratchers.

Trading out of ten set up the success that we had in the draft. It was an awesome move!

Round One (16) - Kerrigan to me was a surprise. I had him pegged as a 4-3 DE so I was a little surprised when his name was announced. High Motor and Awesome Character, helps but this guy isn't a perfect fit out 3-4 OLB. As I mentioned in another thread, Orakpo's weakness is against the run, and this guy is great against the run so they should complement each other pretty well. Most importantly he will be an immediate starter. Grade B

Round Two (41) Jarvis Jenkins was another surprise. Kiper said during the broadcast that this was a bit of a reach. However considered they traded out of the other 2nd round pick that they had it makes since to reach a little bit for a guy they really like. Stephen Paea was still avalable and I thought was a better prospect at the DE position in a 3-4 (some had him pegged at NT but I never did) and Rodney Hudson C/G was still avalable too. However, their are a lot positives on Jenkins such as once again great motor, good lockerroom guy and versitle and he will start from week one at DE opposite Adam Carriker. Grade B-

Round Three (79) Hankerson is my favorite pick in this draft. First of all he is over six feet tall. No injury concerns...cough... Malcolm Kelly.. cough and once again as the other picks he will work hard and will be great in the locker room. This guy has second round value and he slipped to the third round. Torrie Smith had great speed but questionable hands. Cobb, great receiver but doesn't have the size. I think we got the third best receiver in this draft and we got him in the third round. He will start day one. Grade A

Round Four (105) I like Helu too. His skill set will fit the zone blocking extremely well. Great speed so he will be great as a change of pace from Torain who is more of a power runner. Helu has great hands to catch the ball out of the backfield too. I don't see this kid being to physical so blocking may not be something he can do but that seems to be his only weakness. He will split carries with Torain and maybe Keiland Williams but I expect him to get plenty of characters. He will be in the rotation at RB getting plenty of touches. Grade B

Round Five (146) Dang, Marcus Cannon OL out of TCU went a few picks before this. I was rooting for him to be in the B & G. We went with DB Dejon Gomes and this pick confused me, I'll be honest. I didn't think this was as big of a need as OL or NT and I didn't think he had a 5th round grade on him anyway. He is a good tackler and physical, and I guess he could develop into a backup for Landry. Landry's physical play is going to cost him to miss some games. He should also be a great addition to special teams. I just think if you had this guy targeted you could have got him later. However, he will make the team. Grade C-

Round Five (155) I liked this pick too. Niles Paul sounds to me like a project with a lot of upside. He has a lot of speed and could be a dangerous deep threat. The Shanahans love to stretch the field. Anthony Armstrong had a great rookie season as our deep threat but remember he was a 28 year old rookie so he won't be a deep threat to much longer. He will contribute on special teams and once again another hard worker. Grade B

Round Six (177) Evan Royster is a tough runner who could fit right in RB core. He will probably compete against James Davis for the hard nose physical backup RB spot. I doubt Royster and Davis both make the team. This guy was drafted because of his toughness but he will probably a backup in the NFL. He could see some action and could prove everybody wrong if Torain goes down with injury. Then again it is the 6th round, Terrell Davis is an exception but most teams are drafting depth by this point. Grade B-

Round Six (178) I like this pick a lot too. This guy is a good pass catcher and could contribute as a slot receiver. This guy will probably end Rondell William's time in Washington. Grade B-

Round Seven (213) I wonder if Greg McElroy would have been the pick if he wasn't taken a few picks before? Oh well, with our first seventh round selection we took Brandyn Thompson. I think this guy will be fighting for a roster spot. I think he is a decent tackler but whether or whether not he can contribute on special teams will make or break him. I don't see him ever really seeing the field in any other fashion but hey it is the 7th round. Grade C

Round Seven (217) Once again 7th round depth which is fine but this one kind of made me scratch my head because he doesn't really fit in the zone blocking scheme. I understand he is depth but he isn't that athletic and I am not sure he will make the team. I will be watching this guy but unless I missed something this is could be a wasted pick. Grade C-

Round Seven (224) Once again it is the 7th round and we have more depth and special team support. I think there is some upside with this guy but we will see. Grade C

Round Seven (253) Almost Mr. Irrelevent Christopher Neild. I like this guy, call me crazy but I think he makes the team and is part of a rotation at NT. Did we get our starting Nose Tackle for our 3-4 defense? No, but he will be a nice player for us and I think will be a Redskin for many years. Grade B-

Assuming we ever get to sign undrafted free agents a few I would like us to look at:

Ian Williams DT Notra Dame - Could be another option at NT
Jake Kirpatrck C TCU - I am surprised this guy wasn't drafted.
Pat Devlin QB Deleware - Same as above

nice post. if I can interpret: Kerrigan is a nice pick-up who will stick for years but not a game changer.

Round Seven (253) Almost Mr. Irrelevent Christopher Neild. I like this guy, call me crazy but I think he makes the team and is part of a rotation at NT. Did we get our starting Nose Tackle for our 3-4 defense? No, but he will be a nice player for us and I think will be a Redskin for many years. Grade B-

This guy is terrible and a wasted pick. Has 0 chance of making the team. The only reason this guy got any attention is because WVU runs a 3 man front.

Noel Devine would have been a much better pick. I'm still baffled how he went undrafted. Rushed for over 6,000 yds and a career average of 5.9 yds per carry. He's a perfect fit for our offense being a natural one cut and go guy with good hands and a dangerous screen receiver. He's a perfect complemnet to Torain.

I was suprised Devine wasn't picked up either. We picked up two RBs in this draft. I guess Shanny didn't like him for one reason or another. He will be a hot pickup in free agency, no doubt.

It's not like I am the president of Christopher Neild's fan club or anything but I am going to respectably disagree with you. We are still not that deep at lineman in a 3-4 and we could add Ian Williams out of ND in free agency and compete them but Shanny had a reason why he liked Neild better to begin with and I think he has a shot.

Kiper gave us a C+! What a hack!!! LOL!

Can you LOL at something you yourself say?

I was suprised Devine wasn't picked up either. We picked up two RBs in this draft. I guess Shanny didn't like him for one reason or another. He will be a hot pickup in free agency, no doubt.

It's not like I am the president of Christopher Neild's fan club or anything but I am going to respectably disagree with you. We are still not that deep at lineman in a 3-4 and we could add Ian Williams out of ND in free agency and compete them but Shanny had a reason why he liked Neild better to begin with and I think he has a shot.

Kiper gave us a C+! What a hack!!! LOL!

Can you LOL at something you yourself say?

it would be my guess that defensive draft picks are driven more by Hazlett. Shanny oks...but Hazlett is the one who says "I want this guy".

it would be my guess that defensive draft picks are driven more by Hazlett. Shanny oks...but Hazlett is the one who says "I want this guy".

I think they would both want to improve the defense first considering it finished 31st in the league. Shanahan also stated way back in Feb that getting a rush OLB opposite Orakpo was a top priority so landing Kerrigan with our first pick would seem to fit into the big scheme.

It that same presser from Feb, he also stated that increasing depth across the board was a critical goal and that they would be focusing on "character guys".

Seems like everything mostly went according to plan... mostly. :clap2:

I agree D. I think given the multitude of needs we have things went well. I'm not upset we didn't draft a QB. In fact I'm happy we didn't reach for a guy who didn't fit the system. I thought this QB class was overrated.

I asked myself how can we grade this draft. I think the proof we'll need will be in how many starters/contributors we get from this draft. What's a reasonable number? Four? Five? I think four or more contributors from a seven round draft isn't unreasonable. I think we might do better than that. There will definitely be opportunities for these guys to make the team. This draft is a move in the right direction.

We got an A- from Evan Silva from Rotoworld. He thinks we have seven. -

Overview: The name of the game for Washington was trading down to recoup picks lost during the forgettable Vinny Cerrato era. But it's not like the Redskins didn't come away with good players. Entering the draft with the NFL's worst-looking roster, the Skins emerged with upwards of seven rookie-year starters. That's exactly the kind of rebuilding movement Washington needs to undergo. Kerrigan, Hankerson, and Helu were extremely productive per-play collegiates. In the late rounds, White and Neild stand out as rock-solid picks. The only reason Mike Shanahan's club doesn't get a full "A" is because it didn't pick up a quarterback.

I think they would both want to improve the defense first considering it finished 31st in the league. Shanahan also stated way back in Feb that getting a rush OLB opposite Orakpo was a top priority so landing Kerrigan with our first pick would seem to fit into the big scheme.

It that same presser from Feb, he also stated that increasing depth across the board was a critical goal and that they would be focusing on "character guys".

Seems like everything mostly went according to plan... mostly. :clap2:

what I meant by "driven by Hazlett" is that Hazlett determined the individual drafted.....and I trust him in that role a lot less than I do Shanny picking offense players.

I agree D. I think given the multitude of needs we have things went well. I'm not upset we didn't draft a QB. In fact I'm happy we didn't reach for a guy who didn't fit the system. I thought this QB class was overrated.

I asked myself how can we grade this draft. I think the proof we'll need will be in how many starters/contributors we get from this draft. What's a reasonable number? Four? Five? I think four or more contributors from a seven round draft isn't unreasonable. I think we might do better than that. There will definitely be opportunities for these guys to make the team. This draft is a move in the right direction.

We got an A- from Evan Silva from Rotoworld. He thinks we have seven. -

Overview: The name of the game for Washington was trading down to recoup picks lost during the forgettable Vinny Cerrato era. But it's not like the Redskins didn't come away with good players. Entering the draft with the NFL's worst-looking roster, the Skins emerged with upwards of seven rookie-year starters. That's exactly the kind of rebuilding movement Washington needs to undergo. Kerrigan, Hankerson, and Helu were extremely productive per-play collegiates. In the late rounds, White and Neild stand out as rock-solid picks. The only reason Mike Shanahan's club doesn't get a full "A" is because it didn't pick up a quarterback.

I beg to differ. the team has so little talent that starting isn't a major accomplishment. no...my metric would be how well the starters that emerge play against NFE talent. they play well then we are on to something.

I'm watching the draft Sportscenter special and Kiper and McShay just praised Arizona for not panicking for not taking a QB. They say we made a mistake by not taking a QB but Arizona was patient. Does that make since to anyone?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm watching the draft Sportscenter special and Kiper and McShay just praised Arizona for not panicking for not taking a QB. They say we made a mistake by not taking a QB but Arizona was patient. Does that make since to anyone?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

yes....two different situations:

1) Az drafted someone many considered the best player in the entire draft

2) Az is considered by some to be ready to compete for their division title next season (i.e., now...not at the end of some draftee 2-3 yr training pgm) ...you can bet they have a FA QB deal locked up. The Skins, on the other hand, are a long, long ways from competing for the NFE title.

I'm not bothered by the SKins not drafting a QB....because I think we aren't competing for an NFE title for another 3 years...minimum. so that gives us time to find the Franchise guy we really want.

Melly Kipper? The Ravens fans? Yes, he is a big time fan of the Ravens.

Just saying.

2) Az is considered by some to be ready to compete for their division title next season (i.e., now...not at the end of some draftee 2-3 yr training pgm)

You mean they might actually win seven games? :)

Mel Kiper is a dummy, don't listen to a word he says. He is supposedly a "guru," and isn't even the best draft analyst at ESPN (not even close, actually).

Interesting side note: I read on twitter that Neild and Jenkins were paired together on the DLine for the senior bowl, and dominated. They held their opponents to 0 rushing yards when in the game together...Shanny likes to grade his picks based on highlights, so maybe he watched the senior bowl a lot?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.