• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Skins Shopping Gaffney?

BGO

Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney led the Redskins in most receiving categories last season, but he says the team doesn’t want him back in 2012. In an interview with Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Radio on Wednesday, Gaffney said that he wants to remain with the team. The feeling doesn’t seem to be mutual as Gaffney…
b.gif

More...

Surprised we aren't discussing this more. Gaffney was our best WR last year, younger than Moss, and looks like he may not see a 2nd season as a Redskin. Not sure I like this.

I don't have a problem with it as long as we get some value for him, meaning a 4 minimum.

Well - someone's got to go, right? So maybe the thought is that Moss is still a value WR and might as well see if we can get a pick for Gaffney coming off a solid year. I'm hoping Armstrong also returns to form this year with better quarterbacking.

Exactly Boone. I think maybe Moss is a better fit for slot than Gaffney and they might think they can get more for Gaffney. But yeah, no doubt someone has to go (unless they keep 8 WRs again like last year :paranoid:).

I really like his play on the field. He had a great year with bad QBs.

That being said, I just don't see how he starts for us this season. And I don't believe he plays on ST.

He's no spring chicken either. Maybe this is selling while his stock is high....which would be a refreshing change with our team.

I still believe that Shanny has to be enamored with Chris Rainey. Maybe trade Gaffney for a 4th or 5th rounder, and package that with another 4th or 5th to move up and grab Rainey.

Rainey is like a Percy Harvin or a Darren Sproles who also blocks punts probably better than anyone in the NFL right now. He's an electrifying weapon. And he's ten years younger.

if they were going to shop him they sould've got something from the pats when they wanted him! skins said noo ..sooo they went with stallworth !

I haven't been able to follow this thing very closely.....is it my understanding that this all broke after JG's Twittergate thing? If so, the questions seem to be

1) were we interested in shopping him BEFORE he mistweeted?
2) does this mean maybe the team's feeling pretty good about Hankerson?
3) is there something more behind the scenes with JG that's causing a problem, and the tweetfiasco is just a convenient vehicle that passed by to move him out?

There are more angles, to be sure, but let's pace ourselves. It's only April. :)

I think the Shanahan's tolerance or lack there of for a mouth in the locker room is at the heart of this. Remember how quickly Portis went from being "considered" to Persona Non Grata once he began running his mouth. While it's disappointing for Gaffney and our WR prospects it's refreshing to see we have a Coaching staff that is serious about keeping this team under it's thumb.

Also the Shanahans like speed and Moss although older is still a lot faster than Gaffney so it makes that choice a little easier. Plus Moss in the slot with some pressure taken off by actually having other legit WR threats on the field could be VERY productive. He can stretch things a lot more than Gaffney ever could.

Surprised we aren't discussing this more. Gaffney was our best WR last year, younger than Moss, and looks like he may not see a 2nd season as a Redskin. Not sure I like this.

I haven't been able to follow this thing very closely.....is it my understanding that this all broke after JG's Twittergate thing? If so, the questions seem to be

1) were we interested in shopping him BEFORE he mistweeted?
2) does this mean maybe the team's feeling pretty good about Hankerson?
3) is there something more behind the scenes with JG that's causing a problem, and the tweetfiasco is just a convenient vehicle that passed by to move him out?

There are more angles, to be sure, but let's pace ourselves. It's only April. :)

We were discussing it in the Jabar Gaffney Twitter meltdown thread.

He figures in to the new mock that has been released in BBQ.

heard Gaffney on the radio yesterday. he spoke with Shanahan after the twitter posts and was told directly by Shnahan that that had nothing to do with the move. Shanahan stated that the team had been planinng the move for a while.

heard Gaffney on the radio yesterday. he spoke with Shanahan after the twitter posts and was told directly by Shnahan that that had nothing to do with the move. Shanahan stated that the team had been planinng the move for a while.

I call BS on this, because as redskins76 pointed out, the Pats were interested. Maybe they were offering something ridiculous, like a ham sandwich?

When were the Pats interested?

I remember reading that too LL, we could have had a partner at that point for sure. Now it seems foolish for anyone to do anything but wait for us to release him.

I call BS on this, because as redskins76 pointed out, the Pats were interested. Maybe they were offering something ridiculous, like a ham sandwich?

what's that got to do with the factual assertion by Gaffney that he was told by Shanahan that the twitter post had nothing to do with the team's personnel move? You are implying that one of them is lying......and I see no reason for either one to lie about some silly twitter posts.

as some like to say...facts man.....just the facts

what's that got to do with the factual assertion by Gaffney that he was told by Shanahan that the twitter post had nothing to do with the team's personnel move? You are implying that one of them is lying......and I see no reason for either one to lie about some silly twitter posts.

as some like to say...facts man.....just the facts

Because if they had been "planning to trade him for awhile," don't ya think they'd have taken the Pats offer for him? Unless the Pats wanted him for next to nothing. They were buyers, we were sellers...

I'm implying BOTH sides are lying, actually. Gaffney is lying about being hacked, and the Redskins are lying about the twitter episode prompting the trade. Both save face; this happens all the time.

Why are you implying Shanahan and Allen were lying?

Because if they had been "planning to trade him for awhile," don't ya think they'd have taken the Pats offer for him? Unless the Pats wanted him for next to nothing. They were buyers, we were sellers...

I'm implying BOTH sides are lying, actually. Gaffney is lying about being hacked, and the Redskins are lying about the twitter episode prompting the trade. Both save face; this happens all the time.

Why are you implying Shanahan and Allen were lying?

1) There's no factual basis for any of this.

2) I did not imply or overtly state anyone was lying. I stated what I heard Gaffney say - he talked to Shanahan who responded that the twitter stuff did not prompt the position to move Gaffney off the roster. Either that is what Shanahan said...or it isn't. pretty cut & dry.

3) As for your point on trading...these situations arise all the time...and trades don't happen for all sorts of reasons. so, independent of real knowledge on what transpired, no...I don't think the non-existence of a trade neither you nor I enjoy any insight into rules out the possibility that the staff had decided long before the twitter posts that Gaffney wasn't in their future plans.

4) I made no reference to the hacked assertion...and don't care about it anyway.

1) There's no factual basis for any of this.

Fact: The Patriots at least showed interest in Gaffney at least back in March, and there were rumors they tried to trade for him before they signed Stallworth.

2) I did not imply or overtly state anyone was lying. I stated what I heard Gaffney say - he talked to Shanahan who responded that the twitter stuff did not prompt the position to move Gaffney off the roster. Either that is what Shanahan said...or it isn't. pretty cut & dry.

I know what Shanahan said, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you think he is lying. I suppose if you don't believe the Pats/Gaffney rumors, you might not think Shanny is lying.

3) As for your point on trading...these situations arise all the time...and trades don't happen for all sorts of reasons. so, independent of real knowledge on what transpired, no...I don't think the non-existence of a trade neither you nor I enjoy any insight into rules out the possibility that the staff had decided long before the twitter posts that Gaffney wasn't in their future plans.

Fair point. But it works both ways, brother.

4) I made no reference to the hacked assertion...and don't care about it anyway.

And? I did make reference to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.