• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMQB: King thinks Griff may run often

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
I counted 20 plays of 11-on-11 piloted by Robert Griffin III in the afternoon practice. Five were designed runs for Griffin. On this afternoon, he ran it a lot better than he threw it. There's little doubt that Griffin's ability to run quarterback draws and rollouts and options will throw a wrench into opponents' preparation for Washington. But he wasn't getting hit in practice, obviously, and he will when the real games start -- maybe even when the Colts visit Washington in Week 3 of the preseason, and Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis get a few shots at him.

Many thoughts. Among them:

• I know mobility is a great attribute for a quarterback, particularly in a division when you're facing DeMarcus Ware, Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck each twice a year. But Griffin weighs 217 pounds. Getting him out on the flank so much, trying to make people miss, is a dangerous proposition.

• Before you argue, "Well, Cam Newton ran 128 times last year and he never got hurt,'' let me remind you that Newton's a full-grown thoroughbred and Griffin's a young colt. Griffin is not Newton. At 217 pounds, RGIII is 31 pounds lighter than Newton, and doesn't have the physical suit of armor Newton has. (And I would guarantee you the Panthers don't want Newton running it 128 times a year anyway; that's a sure-fire way to no more 16-game seasons for him.)

• I talked to one influential Redskin source here, who said, basically, that Griffin ran with abandon for the past two years and didn't get hurt. I looked it up: 26 Baylor games, 328 rushes, 12.6 rushes per game, and he survived. But a 217-pound quarterback is risking his future if he runs 100 or so times a year in the NFL.

• Just my gut feeling, but it sounds like the Redskins don't want Griffin sitting in the pocket behind such a shaky line -- and don't want him to completely change the way he played in college. Which, in essence, was as a young Mike Vick or young Steve Young.

Asked whether he feared being exposed to lots of hits this year, Griffin said: "I don't want to give away any secrets for the season ... I can't talk about how I'm going to be used during the season. Trying to keep that under wraps.''

The van we're driving around the country in is courtesy of EvoShield, the protective-equipment manufacturer. It's got a huge photo of Griffin, one of their pad-wearers, on the side. When I saw Griffin Thursday night in Buffalo, I patted him on the side and wished him well. And there the rib-protectors were.

Memo to EvoShield: The world's watching. If Griffin runs 100 or so times this year and stays upright, we're all buying your stock.

"A lot of people don't want to wear the traditional rib-protectors because they make them look fat,'' Griffin said. "These ... you can't even tell you have them on, and you're also protecting your body the best way you can, rather than them sliding all over the place.''

Griffin looked great running in this practice. One advantage: He had the red shirt on. No one could touch him. Look at a 15-day stretch in October on the Redskins' schedule. Jared Allen, the Giants, James Harrison. I'm thinking Griffin might want a bullet-proof vest as well as the EvoShield.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/12/mmqb/index.html#ixzz23QdMcl1g

Did he write this before the game Thursday night? Because...if memory serves...Griff did not leave the pocket once.

Most of you know I have been a proponent of the price we paid for Griff and have been critical of his mistakes. But what impressed me most about him on Thursday was his quick release and the vision to utilize it. That is something that is being missed in this article.

Edit: I was an opponent not a proponent.

Last edited:
I think RGIII said one play was designed as a run option, and he ended up passing.

I think he could break the Redskin QB rushing record this year...if only I could remember who holds that...

Theisman does. He was talking about it the other night during the game. They were betting how long it took Griff to break it...I think they said it was ~375 yards.

Joe said he'd break that by the 4th game of the season...in jest of course. I hope Griff isn't running ~95 yards a game. :uhoh:

Did he write this before the game Thursday night? Because...if memory serves...Griff did not leave the pocket once.

Most of you know I have been a proponent of the price we paid for Griff and have been critical of his mistakes. But what impressed me most about him on Thursday was his quick release and the vision to utilize it. That is something that is being missed in this article.

I thought you were opposed to the price we paid...guess I am mis-remembering.

This could all be smoke and mirrors - if you get the other teams worried about Griff running all the time, they will have to honor that. What better way than to practice a bunch of rollouts on the day a blowhard like King is at practice?

My guess is that nearly every play in the book designed to leave the pocket has a run option and some of the pocket plays will too but that in all cases the run will be a secondary option at best. One of those, "if it's there, take it but otherwise throw the ball" things.

I thought you were opposed to the price we paid...guess I am mis-remembering.

This could all be smoke and mirrors - if you get the other teams worried about Griff running all the time, they will have to honor that. What better way than to practice a bunch of rollouts on the day a blowhard like King is at practice?
Yes, I misspoke. Opponent not proponent.

I like where you're headed with this :)

I think it would be silly for the playbook to not include run options; you have to utilize a players natural ability.

That said I think the coaching staff, Griffin, and the fan base would be happy if he never took a step passed the line of scrimmage and was a threat through the air like brady, manning, brees, rodgers, and other elite passing qb's.

the threat of running is enough for me. i don't need him to actually run :)

Am I the only one to notice on Buffalo's DE contain? The one option I saw Griff run it looked like the DE was in his grill so he flicked it out.

Every play I saw a DE in waiting for him. I found this funny since were were running base 3-4 against their empty backfield multi-wr sets. Their vaunted defensive line didn't want to be embarrassed by Griff's athleticism.

We will need to be able to run the ball in between the tackles with success to open up the boots and rollouts. Weren't really able to do that against Buffalo, and don't expect to until we solidify our OL a bit. So the running QB is a need instead of a "wrinkle" in our case right now. I hope that changes soon.

Just saw an interesting Tweet - Cooley says Griffin reminds him of Sean Taylor, because neither ever looked or acted like a rookie. Very interesting comparison!

Am I the only one to notice on Buffalo's DE contain? The one option I saw Griff run it looked like the DE was in his grill so he flicked it out.

Every play I saw a DE in waiting for him. I found this funny since were were running base 3-4 against their empty backfield multi-wr sets. Their vaunted defensive line didn't want to be embarrassed by Griff's athleticism.

We will need to be able to run the ball in between the tackles with success to open up the boots and rollouts. Weren't really able to do that against Buffalo, and don't expect to until we solidify our OL a bit. So the running QB is a need instead of a "wrinkle" in our case right now. I hope that changes soon.

I noticed that too. It was almost like he already had the respect as a runner that Vick or Newton have. I suspect Griffin will need to rip off a few 50-yard scrambles in a real game to maintain the level of respect, but if it keeps DEs in 'contain' mode that may help his longevity. Other than that I really hope Griffin learns to use his mobility to stretch out plays rather than take off running. I agree that he won't last long if he runs too much.

Well said my friend.

Well said my friend.

I agree with a running option as a need right now given the state of flux on the Oline. However, in general I'm ok with Griffin running if he learns how to run quickly out of bounds without getting hit. A quick scramble out of bounds for positive yard and even the occasional first down could save him from otherwise taking hits via sacks - think the difference between Grossman and Aaron Rodgers.

I agree with a running option as a need right now given the state of flux on the Oline. However, in general I'm ok with Griffin running if he learns how to run quickly out of bounds without getting hit. A quick scramble out of bounds for positive yard and even the occasional first down could save him from otherwise taking hits via sacks - think the difference between Grossman and Aaron Rodgers.

Nice point! On a side note, yesterday, I really liked the way Andrew Luck tucked it and ran AND THEN slid with perfect timing before he got (emmitt smith reference) blowed up. Anyone else feel really good about seeing a QB run like a gazelle instead of a 3 legged dog (JC17)??

Nice point! On a side note, yesterday, I really liked the way Andrew Luck tucked it and ran AND THEN slid with perfect timing before he got (emmitt smith reference) blowed up. Anyone else feel really good about seeing a QB run like a gazelle instead of a 3 legged dog (JC17)??
Ha! After seeing Rex get run down from behind by Ware last year, I would rather have 3 legged dog JC17...

I'm sorry, but did you seriously just compare Luck to a gazelle? Really?

I'm sorry, but did you seriously just compare Luck to a gazelle? Really?

Um no... I like what luck did and look forward to seeing Griff run like a gazelle. Although Luck can run and by the look of his team, he will undoubtedly show it a bunch.

Um no... I like what luck did and look forward to seeing Griff run like a gazelle. Although Luck can run and by the look of his team, he will undoubtedly show it a bunch.

Heh, you had me worried for a second there. o_O

King's knowledge of the NFL is about as strong as Chad Johnson's knowledge of the Patriots' playbook last season :laugh:

Remember when he said Danny Wuerffel would pass for 3,700 yards and 25 touchdowns under Spurrier?

King doesn't have a clue. You can't hit what you can't touch. Griffen is simply the best athlete on the field and D.Green fast. In open space it will be a touchdown, so yes, we do need to run plays designed to free him up so he can do his thing. I have no worries about him being tackled. What we have to worry about, is the sack. Only in the pocket will he be subject to the Theisman double crunch that broke his leg off. And unfortunately, a quick release isn't going to stop two linemen from creaming him at the cost of a penalty. I worry about the sack, not the open field running. In that respect, the spread/option plays will be his best friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.