• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

For Redskins, O-Line Issues Are Short Term

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Redskins__O_Line_Issues_Are_Short_Term_45793.jsp

The offensive line lies in ruins.

The theoretical starting right tackle, felled by back problems during the conditioning run before training camp, can’t practice.

His replacement is a failed No. 2 pick who looked like a turnstile in the one major appearance of his career. A high-priced free agent tackle will probably play guard, if the torn knee ligament he suffered last year allows him enough quality snaps. The left tackle, acquired in a trade that cost a No. 1 draft pick, has a quad strain that keeps him out of some practices.

Yep, those Washington Redskins seem beaten up and beaten down already. Except we’re not talking about them. This is the Philadelphia Eagles. Shawn Andrews, Stacy Andrews and Jason Peters serve as well-compensated spectators at camp in Bethlehem, Pa., while Winston Justice, who looks like a pinwheel when confronted with a quick pass rusher, tries to hold on to a job and works at right tackle, having done poorly on the other side.

Somehow I am kind of nervous this is NOT short term. First i was worried about the Line itself when it is healthy, but not that there are nagging injuries popping up, it is even worse. All this Line worry stuff, whether healthy or not, is a product of design at Redskins Park. The Line simply has been ignored way too long.

Agreed that the line needed to be addressed with the pick that went for Fred Davis in 2008. IMO the real concern is Randy Thomas whose body just seems to be breaking down as Jansen's did the past two years.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I always like hearing bad news about the Eagles. It's early in camp though and the Eagles are certainly keeping Jon Runyan in their thoughts as a possible fill in if things get too bad. Yes, I know he had surgery this off season and is no spring chicken (35 I think) but the Eagles could call him a few weeks before the season and he could likely step in and be at least serviceable, maybe better than that.

I understand your angle in the original post with all of the bitching regarding our O-line around here. Problem is these training camp bumps and scraps will heal and the Eagles will still have a young talented line....and we will still have a lot of question marks.

Reading about Eagles OL makes you think that Haynesworth must be licking his chops.

Regardless, I am concerned that our OL won't hold up for an entire season. Just feel the lack of quality depth will rear its ugly head this year. Jason Campbell and the offense needs the OL to be a steady unit.

Anyone know how bad Thomas is dinged up?

I'm getting more and more worried. Jason may not live to see a new contract

I always like hearing bad news about the Eagles. It's early in camp though and the Eagles are certainly keeping Jon Runyan in their thoughts as a possible fill in if things get too bad. Yes, I know he had surgery this off season and is no spring chicken (35 I think) but the Eagles could call him a few weeks before the season and he could likely step in and be at least serviceable, maybe better than that.

I understand your angle in the original post with all of the bitching regarding our O-line around here. Problem is these training camp bumps and scraps will heal and the Eagles will still have a young talented line....and we will still have a lot of question marks.
My thoughts exactly upon reading this. Heyer/BMW can't even hold Runyan/Thomas' jocks. No matter how you slice it, the right side of our OL is at best a question mark and at worst possibly a major Achilles heel.

I've been thinking about Runyan myself, but not as it relates to him going back to the Fecals but rather coming here to get us through this season.

Anyone know how bad Thomas is dinged up?

I'm getting more and more worried. Jason may not live to see a new contract

I agree Sarge. Not only because Randy Thomas has not been consistently healthy now for a few seasons, but we already have weakness on that side of the line given the situation with right tackle. Having a nicked up Thomas is not good, especially if this drags throughout the season.

I've been thinking about Runyan myself, but not as it relates to him going back to the Fecals but rather coming here to get us through this season.

I brought this idea up myself here, however, John Pappas says he hears Runyan is through. I figured he might be better for year than what we have there now but maybe not...

He was thinking maybe Levi Jones but that Jones might be too expensive.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't heard any good comments at all about the line.

The rest of the East much be lickin' their chops

From what I'm reading and seeing.....this is not a short term problem.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love be be labeled as a "hater" and eat some crow if Campbell is hardly touched and CP can run for 1,500 yds. this season.

From what I'm reading and seeing.....this is not a short term problem.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love be be labeled as a "hater" and eat some crow if Campbell is hardly touched and CP can run for 1,500 yds. this season.

No. How do you replace the right side of your line and groom someone to take over for Samualsls in a year or two, short of giving away your next few years of draft picks? We haven't been concerned about the line for a decade, and we're gonna pay for that for the next few years. Teams are going to tee off on the line until we address it

I'm resisting the instinct to panic at this point. Every year in camp one facet of the team looks godawful early on and becomes the overwhelming story. And every year, once the real season rolls around, and the unit in question takes the field with a gameplan tailored to the opposition and to cover weaknesses, they turn out to be far less godawful than everyone feared.

Not saying the OL is going to be "good" by a long shot. I think they're going to struggle against teams with good pass rushes, particularly if they're playing from behind late in games and have to pass on every down. I'm just not ready to buy into the hyperventilation I see going on in some quarters based on the first week of training camp, particularly given 1) defenses are always ahead of offenses at this point, and 2) this particular defense may be something special.

I'll panic at halftime of the season opener in NY if we're down 14 and Campbell's being thrown around like rag doll.

I guess I should clarify what I have written other places. While I have concerns, for the most part it is not about the starters (excepting perhaps the RT position), it is with the depth. The reports yesterday from the scrimmage have our backup guys on the O-line being used for turnstiles by our second team D-line and rookies. Given the number of lost games due to injury suffered by the starters on the O-line over the last 2-3 seasons, it is something of a forgone conclusion that someone out of this group will have to play at some point.

If the idea of Justin Tuck, Julius Peppers, John Abraham or Chris Long working against Williams or Bridges doesn't keep you up at night then you have ice water in your veins. Or maybe DeMarcus Ware, Trent Cole or Shawn Merriman working on Heyer or Clark on Campbell's blindside? How about Jay Ratliff, Jay Alford or Barry Cofield on Rinehart in the middle?

I really don't think any of the above scenarios are an "if" type thing but rather a "when" and I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with it right now. I really wouldn't be comfortable if I was Zorn or Campbell whose success this year is seriously tied to the performance of the O-line as a unit.

So not panicked, just aware and concerned.

I'm resisting the instinct to panic at this point. Every year in camp one facet of the team looks godawful early on and becomes the overwhelming story. And every year, once the real season rolls around, and the unit in question takes the field with a gameplan tailored to the opposition and to cover weaknesses, they turn out to be far less godawful than everyone feared.

Not saying the OL is going to be "good" by a long shot. I think they're going to struggle against teams with good pass rushes, particularly if they're playing from behind late in games and have to pass on every down. I'm just not ready to buy into the hyperventilation I see going on in some quarters based on the first week of training camp, particularly given 1) defenses are always ahead of offenses at this point, and 2) this particular defense may be something special.

I'll panic at halftime of the season opener in NY if we're down 14 and Campbell's being thrown around like rag doll.
I'm trying to resist the urge to panic too. However as you might expect given my history, I'm having a harder time of it than I think you are. :(

The problem is that I think we've already seen a gameplan tailored to cover weaknesses-it's called the second half of last season. Many on ES constantly excoriated Zorn for calling short passes and JC for too many dumpoffs. However, in both guys' defense I don't think we had much of another option in the second half of last season as our OL was simply not getting it done in pass protection at that point.

As with last season, I think our defense is good enough to get us to .500, maybe better. However, I just don't see us consistently beating anyone really good this year. The caveat is that all bets are off if we somehow turn into one of the better scoring defenses the league has seen in a while...which given the way our defense is looking is not outside the realm of possibility. :cool5:

So, I'm worried but not in full-blown, chicken little panic mode just yet. ;)

the only good news of all of this is that I think the depth is/may be actually better than the 2008 team. At least at guard and I suppose center.

Montgomery and Bridges has experience at the position and are younger than a guy like Fabini.

But tackle to me is a major concern especially if Samuels or Heyer goes down for any long period of time, b/c behind them it doesn't look like the Skins have that much.

So, since it appears the QB's are going to have to run for their lives, anyone ready to sign Vick? (Sorry Huly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.