Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question on laptops versus desktops

Next fall my son will be going away to college. Know in next few months will need to buy him a computer. I was wondering if should look at laptops or a desktop? What about these new mini-laptops?
    0 0 0 0

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Florida Atlantic

The mini-laptops, if what you are referring to are "Netbooks," are basically big blackberries. Can't really do much on them except surf, and maybe some word-processing. They have trouble with beefier spreadsheets and powerpoints. I would go with a laptop with lots of RAM, just because of the portability and usefulness, unless your son plays a lot of video games, in which case I'd go with a desktop. Of course the point of the computer won't be to play games, so maybe forgo that route?
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

I hang out sometimes on the campus of North Carolina State University since it's not far from where I live here in Raleigh and virtually all the students have laptops-I go there because the main library, among other things, has multiple high speed WiFi networks-I see almost no netbooks in use, no doubt for the reasons Lanky gave-insufficient power. I'd recommend a laptop myself.
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

I too would recommend a laptop and I would go a step further and suggest a Thinkpad from Lenovo. My company just issued them to all the field staff and I am impressed. These are some solid machines and mine runs like a top so far.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinnus
    COYS

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    I too would recommend a laptop and I would go a step further and suggest a Thinkpad from Lenovo. My company just issued them to all the field staff and I am impressed. These are some solid machines and mine runs like a top so far.
    I agree. Mine is a couple years old but it is a great machine. I use mine to run high powered business aps and it is great.

Also their tech support is out of Atlanta, I only needed them once but it sure was nice to talk to an American.
    0 0 0 0

User Tag List