• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Statement by NFL Spokesperson

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
STATEMENT BY AN NFL SPOKESPERSON:

Silas Redd of the Washington Redskins has been suspended without pay for the team’s next four games for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Redd, who is currently on the reserve/injured list, will begin serving his suspension immediately.

[Note: The NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse is posted on nflcommunications.com. After logging in, click on “About NFL” from the homepage and then “NFL Policies.”]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said it before, I'll say it again. For anyone that close to living the dream to risk effing it up blowing a joint (or other such voluntary known transgression) makes me shake my head in wonder. I don't know Silas, but we see this happen enough to guys on the bubble that every single time I see it, it makes me cringe at the notion of him waking up one day when he's 40 and having it hit him just how utterly and cavalierly he ****ed up his shot at the brass ring.

Do we know what the substance was? If he is recovering, pain-killers and healing agents might be involved. Yes, it would be a violation of NFL rules, but the NFL really needs to make exceptions for situations like this. Is he actually abusing a substance, or is he just trying to heal & didn't report the substance to the NFL correctly? Honestly? I didn't look at this very well yesterday, and I'd appreciate someone who knows more about it giving me some info (ok, I know "google is your friend")...

I haven't seen anything on the specific nature of the violation---the league is pretty tight-lipped about that stuff.

My comments were less about what Redd in particular might have done than about the endless parade of these stories, year after year, where it does turn out the guy simply didn't possess the will, perspective, inner strength, etc., to just say no to stuff they know is banned by the league.

Not when, after devoting so much of their lives chasing the dream, they are right there on the cusp have so much to lose.

IRT Smooty post:

exactly. my first thought also. may not be the case here -> but more than one athlete has been dedicated to recovery based on DR prescribed meds only to learn retroactively the advice was bad.

anyone who has been subjected to the American healthcare system knows it's heavily dependent on "drug of choice". suggesting here that it might not just be the player - need more info.

Glad it was Redd and not Reed.

(This post is sponsored by Budweiser)

I dont care what he was caught with....you are supposed to study and know the big list of things that you can be suspended for and if you cant remember it, you hire someone who can. this falls on him to have either failed on his own or from hiring someone who failed him. either way...stupid move.

I'm with Mike on this one. And what we forget is that there is a team medical staff that is there to help make sure players don't get in trouble for scenarios like the one Smooty is raising. If it's weed or something similar, that's just plain dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone and Mike are the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have...we're the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have..we're the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have.

and we'll never ever ever ever never leave each other!

I wouldn't think so, Fear. I think Jones occupies the role Redd might have fit best, and we haven't seen anything from Redd to indicate he has anywhere near the ability Jones has shown even as a rookie. Barring injury, the only way I see Redd even being on the roster next year is if he is a total beast on special teams ...

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see another RB drafted 3r, 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Boone and Mike are the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have...we're the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have..we're the 2 best friends that anyone could ever have.

and we'll never ever ever ever never leave each other!

You're like Natalie and Tootie from Facts of Life.

Girls, Girls!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does Redd even have a reasonable shot at the roster, if Morris, Jones, Thompson, and Young are all here next year.

Aside from our own fanbase, I haven't seen anyone suggesting that Morris is likely to be back next year.

That might leave the current battle for backup between Redd and Christine Michael. The backup might also come from the draft.

Aside from our own fanbase, I haven't seen anyone suggesting that Morris is likely to be back next year.

No-one would be surprised if Morris walks, as he will, no doubt, receive some nice offers.
But I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if he chooses to stay, either.
If any player in the league would choose loyalty to a team, over money, it's Morris.
This is a guy, who, even after signing a decent NFL contract, continued to drive an old 1991 Mazda.
He scores high on humility, character, and non-materialism, which not only makes him likely to want to return, but also makes the team likely to interested in keeping him as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.