• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Report: Redskins to overhaul organization, Gruden will NOT be coach

I've kind of lost track of Doug Williams and what's he's been doing since his Grambling days...anyone got info on that?

I'll be honest, like all Redskins fans, I'll always be fond of Doug Williams - but he never struck me as being particularly bright. Maybe that's just how he comes across, and I guess one needn't be a rocket scientist to evaluate talent (although I would think it wouldn't hurt).

If memory serves me correctly, before Gibbs signed Williams, he sat down with him and went over some plays and was impressed with his knowledge and understanding. We know that character is number one with Gibbs but football intelligence was a close number two.

Besides, Williams was at least smart enough to know that “How long have you been a black quarterback?” was a dumb question. :whoknows:

I've kind of lost track of Doug Williams and what's he's been doing since his Grambling days...anyone got info on that?

I'll be honest, like all Redskins fans, I'll always be fond of Doug Williams - but he never struck me as being particularly bright. Maybe that's just how he comes across, and I guess one needn't be a rocket scientist to evaluate talent (although I would think it wouldn't hurt).

From what I've been able to find so far, Wiliams was hired by Allen in 2004 while he was still coaching Grambling to be a personnel executive and was promoted to coordinator of pro scouting in Febuary 2009. This from the St Petersburg Times gives more detail about that:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers promote Doug Williams

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 Story Tools

TAMPA — Doug Williams always had an eye for talent and now he will have more of a voice in shaping the Bucs' roster.

Williams has been promoted to coordinator of pro scouting, the club announced Tuesday.

His responsibilities are essentially the same as new general manager Mark Dominik had as director of pro scouting — overseeing the scouting and recruiting of all NFL players while monitoring league transactions and supervising player tryouts.

In addition, Williams is in charge of the Bucs' evaluating efforts of other pro leagues, including the Canadian Football League.

"I think it gives me more responsibility, it really does," Williams, 53, said. "It's something to hang your hat on. It gives me direct responsibility."

Williams, the former Bucs quarterback and Super Bowl MVP with the Redskins, has been a pro personnel executive with Tampa Bay since 2004.

But for the past five years, Williams' input was limited because the personnel decisions were nearly made in a vacuum by general manager Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden.

Williams also will have an impact on acquiring free agents. He said the team already has discussed players it would like to pursue when the signing period begins this month.

"It's a good move for me, a real good move," Williams said. "With the guys I'll be working with … we can take it and run."

Article link:http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article973152.ece

I also found another article on Redskins Confidential where Williams talks about the Redskins making him the new GM-apparently Doug holds Bruce Allen in pretty high regard.

Doug Williams on Redskins new boss
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
12/18/09 9:30 AM EST

Former Redskins quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams was hired by Bruce Allen in Tampa Bay. With his contract up early next year, Williams, still in Tampa's front office, could be a candidate to join the Redskins' front office. He did not want to discuss any new deal yesterday; wouldn't be fair to his current employers. But he was very talkative regarding Bruce Allen, the Redskins new executive vice president/general manager (man, I wish he had gotten a less cumbersome title).

On what Allen brings to the Redskins: "Bruce Allen is probably one of the most informed guys around the league with what's going on. One thing I did know and realized was that if there was anything to be known on what's going on with other teams, Bruce is one of those guys that's very personal and finds a way to be able to communicate with people."

On his personality: "It's hard not to like Bruce. He has that personality that sometimes you don't know whether or not he realizes what's going on, but believe me he's aware. And sometimes you talk to Bruce and he'll tell you what he thinks and he's gone. He'll be straight up with you. That's one thing he'll be. He'll tell you what he feels."

On his reputation as not being a personnel guy: "That's hard for me to say because when we would meet during draft time or free agency time, we'd all give our opinion of what we though of players and in his position, his thing is that he didn't have to give an opinion. He'd listen to what everyone else said and come to a conclusion. I find it hard to say he is or he's not because it wasn't like us listening to him as much as him listening to all the scouts."

On if that's what you want in his position: "That's what he's going to do. His job is to be a GM and he had the last word and when he and the coach get together to discuss whatever he wants, he gets all the information. I'm sure once he gets all the information, when you're talking about a player that you like and you have three or four reports on him. So you listen to what everyone has to say and you put your two cents in and go from there. It's not like you have to sit there and say what does Bruce think about it?"

On whether or not he can work with Dan Snyder: "I think that's evident. I don't think Bruce would have taken that job if he didn't think him and Snyder could work together. I really do. Bruce is going to be perfect because No. 1, Dan will respect him. And he'll respect his opinion. Whatever Bruce does as far as the front office and people he brings in, or keeps, they'll all have to go through Bruce. I don't think Dan would go to someone else and ask his opinion until he talks to Bruce."

On his strength: "People skills. And in this business it is people. I don't care how you cut it up, it's people skills.... When you've been around long enough, you can watch folks and see if they have people skills. I haven't seen no one who didn't talk to Bruce and wasn't smiling after they left. There wasn't a frown on their face....The key is the people Bruce has around him are people that the players can trust. And when you talk about player trust, they understand this is a business of turnaround, cuts and things. But the key is you have to be honest with them and say this is the way it goes. Bruce and I, we had talks about a lot of different things. One thing I said is that I never had a problem going into his office adn talking and he never had a problem telling me what he thought."

On his own interest for a job here: "That's strictly up to Bruce. It wouldnt' be good to say that now."

On how he helped Tampa Bay: "Just him and Jon, from a salary cap standpoint, he did a heck of a job fixing the cap. When I came here we were strapped salary cap wise and he did a good job to where we are today."

Follow me on twitter @John_Keim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.