• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce Allen - a draft history

From the St. Pete Times article posted in another thread:

Overall inefficiency. Of his 51 draft picks since 2004, only 23 were still with the Bucs at the end of the 2008 season. Of 33 unrestricted and restricted free agents signed under Allen, 17 weren't on the opening day roster in 2008.

Again, I'd like to see the stats of some other teams for comparison.

I've been doing some digging and everything seems to be pointing to Allen not being heavily involved in draft selections much at all-apparently at Oakland Davis made the choices, at Tapma Bay it was Gruden-Allen was hired by Tapma Bay to fix a terrible salary cap situation and did an excellent job of it. I found an interesting article in HogsHaven by KevinE. about Allen. I'm going to insert just a few quotes and provide a link at the bottom to the entire article.

First, a statement from Allen on how he operated while at Oakland.

Bruce Allen: "We have always believed the players really manage it. When we wanted to sign extra players last year, we went to our current players and told them what we needed to do, and they worked with us to free up room. We have a constant dialogue with our veterans about what we want to accomplish."

Next a quote from Mike Lombardi on Allen's involvement in the decision making process.

Mike Lombardi: "Obviously the coach has a lot of say in what [Allen] runs. Y'know, Bruce doesn't bring the offense or the defense to the team. It just becomes a situation where the coach -- say, with Jon [Gruden], it was a West Coast Offense -- and Bruce has great respect for coaches, and he values their opinions and he values their input.
"

This one, from Ron Woodson who Allen signed while ar Oakland could have implications for some of the Skins older vets. I've included KevinE.'s comments as well.

Rod Woodson, who was signed by Bruce in Oakland, talked about Bruce's fearlessness:

Rod Woodson: He knows football. He's not scared to cut players who need to be cut.

Looks like the over-priced free-agent train is about to hit it's final stop. 2009.

And finally a brief note about Allen at Oakland including, interestingly enough, a quote from Charlie Casserly.

Allen, whose official title is senior assistant, was recognized for his deft ability to manage the salary cap last offseason, when the Raiders brought in a number of over-30 veteran stars to upgrade their roster. With the addition of players such as Rod Woodson, Bill Romanowski, Sam Adams and John Parrella, the Raiders won the AFC title before losing to the Bucs in Super Bowl 37.

"Bruce has done a magnificent job managing the cap," says Charley Casserly, the Texans' general manager. "He is continually maneuvering the cap to keep the Raiders in contention."

Here's the link to the article itself:http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/12/18/1205424/understanding-redskins-new-gm

Just some stuff to ponder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.