• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Gameday Reactions: Jets

BnGBuns

The Rookie
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
I had lost all my energy to get angry or upset from the falcons game. The disappointment from the offense in that game carried over to this one.

Lets use this topic to see how we all saw the game. The good, the bad, and the embarrassing.

Lets start off to say something good did come from this game. Bashaud Breeland has the potential to become a great corner. He was beaten a few times this game, but ill take that if he can get a fumble and a interception as well as some batted passes every game.

Now to the bad. Kirk threw 2 more interceptions. He looked nervous, afraid his line wont hold. He threw the ball before any of the routes were ready and was easily read by the secondary. Credit to the Jets, they had a +6 turnover ratio coming into this game. Cousins looks like he is falling into old habits we have seen every time he came in as a starter.

The run game was pathetic. When you have a QB that no one respects and don't see him throw more than 10 yards out, they will stack the box and make the run game completely ineffective. Alfred Morris was a no show for the 3rd week in a row. I am starting to doubt his productivity and I don't know who to blame. Jones was injured and Chris Thompson is fragile.

Our defense had a solid first half and then just rolled over after being on the field so long. They got tired, they got hurt, and NOT ONCE did they touch Fitzpatrick this game. I don't remember hearing about the Jet's amazing O-line during pre-games. A few times I saw us only rushing 3 or 4 and leaving him all the time in the world to attack us in our weak secondary or our poor pass coverage linebackers.

Is this familiar? "Aw man..the 3rd quarter is coming up. Get ready to lose the lead and have to try to win by a miracle." For some dumb reason, we cant make that half time adjustment and get rolled on every single game. To where the 3rd quarter is where we all know that we will lose. 17 unanswered points is something most teams cant recover from.

Injuries have stacked and I'm worried we are going to run out of players..

That's it. Tampa Bay is next and I have a sinking feeling that we will see a repeat of this game. Only to a worse team.

The Good

Breeland - Potential star Corner. He showed flashes last year and just continues to get better. I like the way he's headed, he was terrific yesterday. I'm convinced he would have prevented that touchdown later in the game if Goldson hadn't have crashed into him. LOL
Dusty Hopkins - It's SOOOOOO good to have a kicker that consistently gets touchbacks and can boom 54yard FG's. :D He was a great pickup!
Pass Protection - Yeah the O-Line is beaten up, but as I've said in other threads, we've only allowed 7 sacks in 5 games. We're 4th in the league.
Defense - I'm not gonna beat up on them after yesterday. I know we gave up 34 points yesterday, but our Defense has been pretty stingy all season. Problem is....

The Bad
Offense - ... our offense just hung them out to dry yesterday. Couldn't move the ball so our defense was constantly on the field and out of gas by the second half. We can't pass deep, we have inconsistent recievers short and Cousins threw off target consistently yesterday. Plus we can't run the ball due to...
Run Blocking - While the beaten up O-Line is holding the fort with the pass protection, our run blocking is terribly. Morris is consistently tackled in the backfield. Hopefully this improves when we get our starters back.

The Ugly/Embarrassing
3rd. Quarter. Adjustements. Nuff Said.

Went into yesterday expecting to lose. Too many injuries to too many key people for a rebuilding team to overcome against a solid team on the road. So even allowing the injury reality mitigate against the severity of the loss ... the three things that stand out for me right now are

1. I didn't expect was the season's first extended defensive meltdown. The final drive against Atlanta last week was scary--looked too much like the defenses we've had here for too many years. Felt pretty good about them in the 1st half yesterday, but it was hard to gauge their overall soundness during that half given they forced turnovers. Love turnovers. But some or all came late in drives that had us on our heels, and we were generating no pass pressure. Then came the 2nd half. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who had Barry's Detroit legacy tugging at the dark corners of his mind as the day wound down yesterday. We really need to see the front seven show up, both against the run and in generating at least some pressure, against the Bucs next week.

2. The QB. Kirk can't seem to play on the road. No, he had zero help from the run game. And no, he didn't have Jackson or Reed. But he did look hesitant, and his footwork was awful, and he did miss open guys. He doesn't look like the same guy we saw against St. Louis and Philly at home. Man is going to need to show up BIG next week at home, and play a solid, confident game, or things are probably going to start unraveling. Not so much from a fan or media standpoint, which don't matter, but from the standpoint of confidence from his teammates and coaches.

3. Six games into his 2nd year, Gruden's Redskins are

- very solid in terms of game-planning
- awful in terms of in-game adjustments
- not deep enough to mitigate bad injury totals

The first is a good thing.

The second is a scary thing.

The third may be the key to whether Scot McCloughan decides he needs to see another year or not.

I think Kirk probably looked into the sun this week.....

And that's why he couldn't see where he was throwing the ball.

Adjustments....please explain. What do they really mean?

If game plan calls for protecting a weaker element of our team, say the D backfield the only real place they can adjust would be the stronger unit that has the talent to adapt to the tweaking but still needs to protect.

If all elements are fairly equal with decent talent then maybe overall adjustments can be had in tweaking the back, middle and line.

Say if JR was available, our edge rush with he and Kerrigan on the ends or Kerrigan hand in dirt, Smith/Murph edge mix would most likely yield better results than mixing up things with Kerrigan, Murph and Smith... the combinations of nice talent expand the ability to adjust for real affect.

The O with a full compliment of current talent available would be able to affect adjustments more readily, no?

Putting the players in better positions is great and all but the positions available still need to be competently manned to work.

Does this make sense or am I just floundering to make sense of it all.

Adjustments....please explain. What do they really mean?

If game plan calls for protecting a weaker element of our team, say the D backfield the only real place they can adjust would be the stronger unit that has the talent to adapt to the tweaking but still needs to protect.

If all elements are fairly equal with decent talent then maybe overall adjustments can be had in tweaking the back, middle and line.

Say if JR was available, our edge rush with he and Kerrigan on the ends or Kerrigan hand in dirt, Smith/Murph edge mix would most likely yield better results than mixing up things with Kerrigan, Murph and Smith... the combinations of nice talent expand the ability to adjust for real affect.

The O with a full compliment of current talent available would be able to affect adjustments more readily, no?

Putting the players in better positions is great and all but the positions available still need to be competently manned to work.

Does this make sense or am I just floundering to make sense of it all.

Tough to make adjustments when you lack talent to do so?

So, you don't think that when we have success running in the first half that teams go in and adjust blocking schemes and defensive calls to help stop it?

That's the adjusting were talking about. If you come out doing exactly what you did the first half they're ready for it and have adjusted to it. We on the other hand never seem to adjust any of our play calling or defensive schemes and end up looking completely flat every single 3rd quarter because of it.

That was what I was asking. What are the adjustments.... I was not declaring that I knew what was going on.
Adjusting schemes is fine but if guys are not as efficient in those adjusted schemes then there can be a drop in production.

If we were successful to the point that they had to adjust to counter, don't we have to analyze what they are doing before we adjust to their counter.... that 'plan B' is apparently what is not happening.

I don't really buy into the adjustments argument. I see it as something that plays out every week in the NFL.

A less talented team comes out of the gate, usually scores first, and hangs tough in the first half. The more talented team comes out of the locker room after the half, steps on the gas, and gets to business.

I've always seen Football as a kind of chess game. Move and counter move.

I'm not a coach and have never been a coach, but the way I've looked at it myself...

Generally when the game is in progress it's done on the fly (so to speak) with the coaches reacting to what they see on the field and hearing feedback from their guys upstairs etc. But most of the 1st half game planning is done before the game, and then the game plan is stuck to for those first couple of quarters.

In this aspect we look really good. We always seem to come to the games prepared and we look good in the first half.

Then halftime rolls around and the coaches have 20 mins or so to discuss and make adjustments to counter what they've seen the opponent do in the first half, evaluate what we have done in the first half and second guess the adjustments they think the opponent is going to make to counter our own strategy.

In this the Skins look bad! Not only do we come out in the third quarter and struggle mightily to move the ball on offense, but often we struggle to counter the adjustments their offense makes with our defense. Some of it is lack of personnel I guess giving us a lack of flexibility, but the fact that we suffer on both sides of the ball really makes me think it's a coaching issue.

It's been every game this year so it's more than coincidence I feel. You can practically put money on a third quarter collapse at this point. Wonder what the Vegas odds are....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.