• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Morris time. For several reasons.

Via @JamesDDorsett

Alfred Morris has forced only three missed tackles this season + ranks dead last among qualifiers in @PFF's Elusive Rating.

•Alfred Morris' struggles continued against the Jets. His 21 rushing yards in the game represents the fourth lowest rushing total of his career. The three performances that were worse have all came in the last 12 months, and six of his ten worst rushing performances have come in the last 13 months. This is not just about his number of attempts either, as seven of his ten worst yards per carry games have also come in the last 13 months. Morris' has forced just three missed tackles this season, which is the second lowest total among runners that have handled 25 percent or more of their team's attempts. He ranks dead last (51 out of 51) in PFF's elusive rating.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/10/21/9568951/snap-judgments-redskins-jet

Well, at least he isn't on the bench or fumbling all the damn time

Wasn't long ago there were claims of Morris having fumbleitis, particularly at bad times in the red zone.

It's hard to judge him fairly right now with all of the injuries we have. The teams we've played also have to be taken into consideration.

With that said, he's going to need to improve quickly if he expects to get paid here next season. Scot didn't seem to be in any big rush to extend him prior to the season, and I imagine that he's even less inclined to do so now.

I think it's a combination of things - but I don't chalk it all up to OL injuries. Both Jones and Thompson are running much more effectively than Almo behind the same line. I think part of it is the different style of offense that Gruden runs, which is probably *most* different in terms of the running scheme. But I do think it's obvious that Morris is running a lot more tentatively the past two years then he did his first two seasons. He used to hit the hole like a freight train and always fell forward for an extra yard or two. Now he stutter steps before eventually making a decision on which hole to hit, and frequently he's getting stuffed. So I don't think it's all about injuries, the line, or the scheme. He has lost some confidence, or some strength, or some decisiveness. Something's not quite right with him. And I will also say, if he struggles against the Bucs, he's going to get replaced as the #1 back and deservedly so.

Via @JamesDDorsett

Alfred Morris has forced only three missed tackles this season + ranks dead last among qualifiers in @PFF's Elusive Rating.

Stat of the year McD. Great find and explains a lot.

Its about time folks stop blaming the line and OL injury as Morris was 2012 MVP (according to RGIII) and the OL was not very good that year.

I meant to bring this up after the game, but was sidetracked. One thing I noticed about Morris this past week when I saw him on the sideline was his size. He is noticeably smaller. I almost didn't recognize him...didn't see the number completely. I was thinking, "Who's the new RB we brought up for Thompson?"

I've been suggesting since the Rams game that Morris isn't running with the same authority as past years. Which has been hard, because no one holds him in higher regard than I do. The acceleration, decisiveness, power ... they just haven't been there. He goes down on first contact, doesn't avoid or break tackles ... that is not the Alfred Morris we all fell for.

I keep thinking we're going to find out at some point he's been nursing some kind of injury or illness.

He looked frustrated in the Bucs game. First time I can recall seeing that kind of look on his face. I'm not sure that he hasn't let the Matt Jones/ Chris Thompson rotation thing get in his head a little, or maybe it's the impending contract end - I don't know. But he doesn't appear as focused and determined as in years past to me. Could just be my imagination though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time he got the ball they ran left and he was met immediately before he got any speed or power behind him.

Jones comes in and immediately runs right for 5 yards a clip.

Morris back in and pounded to the left again where he's met in the backfield and hit immediately.

Every time he got the ball they ran left and he was met immediately before he got any speed or power behind him.

Jones comes in and immediately runs right for 5 yards a clip.

Morris back in and pounded to the left again where he's met in the backfield and hit immediately.

Yes. This. I can't help but get a little frustrated when I hear everyone slobber over the Panthers and Ron Rivera for adjusting their entire offensive scheme to match the skillset of their best player, Cam Newton.

Wondering if we will ever have someone again who can think about offense (or defense) that way.

When Alfred looks ordinary in a game, he doesn't get the reps.

Words are fun.

Prior to OL injuries we were rushing just fine with rotating RBs even wracking up two 100+ efforts in a single game. What I see is that the holes, particularly on the left side, aren't there of late like they were earlier in the season. We've also played some pretty stout run defenses. And at times the RBs like tentative (maybe because the hikes aren't there of late?).

Not discounting that some backs like Morris might need more reps to get going. Just not sure that's all that's going on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love how you accept Gruden's judgements with nary a care.
And I love how you make stuff up.

Alfred, like most running backs, needs reps in a game. It increases the rb's chances of getting a 30 yard pickup to improve YPC.
It's not about YPC. It's about effectiveness. If Alfred was running like Alfred, he'd be getting reps.

The indecision on the starter is either a concern about budget or need to play a rookie...it ain't about Alfred's talent.

Sorry.
Don't be sorry. Anyone can have an opinion.

You're mostly on board with the coaching decisions so far. Did I miss any that your not willing to give Gruden the benefit of the doubt on? Being patient is getting old...18 years old. Sorry.
You have no idea what I'm "on board with." And I don't feel the need to write a dissertation on Gruden's role/impact on the State of the Redskins for you at the moment.

Gruden's been here roughly 18 months. How that plays into your 18 years of frustration really isn't anyone else's concern.

Well, I doubt it. Jay like's Jay's guys. He doesn't like Shanny's guys. And, Alfred , if he were piling up 100+ plus games would be getting a fat paycheck next year. I'd say the budget at running back is as big a consideration as improvement in the running game during this year.
I think that's standard-issue message board silliness, unsupported and unsupportable, but again, you can say what you want. There's nothing in our guidelines that require evidence for opinions. Mine is that Gruden, like every head coach in every professional sport, plays the guys he thinks are best suited to help him win.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the contract. That would be more Scot's concern than Gruden, and if salary considerations are playing that much of a part in deciding who gets playing time, we're screwed.

I do buy into the idea that Gruden has favorites though. What he bases his favoritism on is a mystery to me, but I think he has guys he connects with or likes more or whatever and convinces himself they need to play more.

I know, completely un-provable. But I think it happened with Robert, and I think it's happening now with Alfred.

I'm really sad and frustrated by what I see in this thread from some people. Everyone wants to give cousins all the excuses and breaks in the world without even batting an eye, but a guy who's been here year after year playing his guts out is easily ridiculed because we have Jones behind him?

Morris is getting hit as soon as he gets the ball in the back. Gruden is running shit plays with him yet giving Jones the better runs and to the right. Every person on chat last week saw the same thing.

The guys played his heart out year after year and it's obvious he's being pushed aside just because of Jones and Thompson. But neither one of those 2 are durable or can control their fumbling.

Goal, I guess it comes down to whether or not one feels a head coach should be able to pick and play the guys he wants to play. If the answer is yes, to me it follows he should be able to make that decision based on his own evaluations. And I don't personally feel he has an obligation to explain those evaluations to anyone but his bosses. If he's going to fail, it should be on his own terms. Same if he's going to succeed.

Scot M gets to make that ultimate determination when he thinks he's seen enough evidence one way or the other.

Yeah, I agree Om. I'm not saying for a second that Gruden shouldn't be allowed to choose who he gets to play and who sits, which is why I mentioned I don't think Morris's contract has anything to do with his playing time.

Now ask me what I think of Gruden's judgment? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.