• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Toxic sports new reporting

Gruden needs to stop dicking around with the RBs. Personally, I think it's a mistake to sit Alfred for Jones this early; however, if that's what Gruden wants to do, he should just do it instead of alternating series and sprinkling Thompson in and everything else. There should be a clear 2-1 ratio between the two backs, with Thompson in on third downs. That way, whoever the starter is can get into a rhythm.

I see a couple things, there.

One, an amateur writer who has no more insight than anyone posting on this site. James Dudko is not an NFL expert. He's a guy.

Two ... I'm not sure how his opinion piece qualifies as "toxic?" I see a guy looking at Alfred's fallen production, and how he "looks" out there so far this year, and making his case for why that might be. One can certainly disagree with some or all of his points, but I don't really see anything in there that seems out of line or unnecessarily snarky.

Gruden needs to stop dicking around with the RBs. Personally, I think it's a mistake to sit Alfred for Jones this early; however, if that's what Gruden wants to do, he should just do it instead of alternating series and sprinkling Thompson in and everything else. There should be a clear 2-1 ratio between the two backs, with Thompson in on third downs. That way, whoever the starter is can get into a rhythm.

Last year it was the QBs. This year it's the RBs.

Some day I'm sure Gruden will have this all figured out. Maybe by the end of his contract ...

I don't think it's that easy.

If Alfred is averaging only 2 YPC, how long can you stay with him? I've always felt that we should stay with our RB for 4 quarters, and the defense would wear down late in the game.

Then again, if that doesn't work, people will cry that we didn't make any adjustments at halftime, and that it was obvious that we weren't taking what the defense was giving.

The cause is probably a combination of things. Defenses stacking the box, blocking not being great and probably some of it on the RBs too.

But I've decided that I don't know nearly as much as Callahan or Gruden about what's really happening. And if Callahan believes that the best way to get yardage is to kick it outside with Thompson--that the inside runs just aren't working.....then I'm going to assume that he knows what he's doing.

I don't think it's that easy.

If Alfred is averaging only 2 YPC, how long can you stay with him? I've always felt that we should stay with our RB for 4 quarters, and the defense would wear down late in the game.

Then again, if that doesn't work, people will cry that we didn't make any adjustments at halftime, and that it was obvious that we weren't taking what the defense was giving.

The cause is probably a combination of things. Defenses stacking the box, blocking not being great and probably some of it on the RBs too.

But I've decided that I don't know nearly as much as Callahan or Gruden about what's really happening. And if Callahan believes that the best way to get yardage is to kick it outside with Thompson--that the inside runs just aren't working.....then I'm going to assume that he knows what he's doing.

If the Redskins win the game, I'll assume the coaches know what they are doing.

If the Redskins win the game, I'll assume the coaches know what they are doing.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to assume that Callahan probably knows a little bit more about what is going on during the game than we do.

It could be anything from Alfred has the stomach flu, to Lich is getting blown up today and we can't run inside.

No offense, but if Callahan says that running it outside is what will work best based upon what he's seeing, then I'm not going to be so arrogant as to think I know more.

Well, they're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

NOBODY fears Kirk and the Gruden passing game. NOBODY.
Flipping the RB's hoping one might beat the stacked box more often, is wrong. Regardless of who's idea it is.

Well, they're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

NOBODY fears Kirk and the Gruden passing game. NOBODY.
Flipping the RB's hoping one might beat the stacked box more often, is wrong. Regardless of who's idea it is.

Well that's what this year's evaluation is for. To see if Kirk is the answer; to see if DJax may help that passing game this weekend.

As far as the running game goes, we approach absurdity at times. Not like that's a big problem--it's what message boards are for at times.

But us acting like we know more about the running game than Callahan is hysterical. It would be like someone with no experience coming to your job and telling you that you're wrong.

It's like someone believing that they know how to run a crime scene operation because they've watched every single episode of CSI before.

He knows 100x more than we do. I'll trust his track record and judgement for the time being.

absurdity? You mean like trading Morris away?

But us acting like we know more about the running game than Callahan is hysterical. It would be like someone with no experience coming to your job and telling you that you're wrong.

It's like someone believing that they know how to run a crime scene operation because they've watched every single episode of CSI before.

He knows 100x more than we do. I'll trust his track record and judgement for the time being.
Of course, when you disagree, it's perfectly ok for YOU to know more than everyone on the planet.

Absurdity indeed.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to assume that Callahan probably knows a little bit more about what is going on during the game than we do.

It could be anything from Alfred has the stomach flu, to Lich is getting blown up today and we can't run inside.

No offense, but if Callahan says that running it outside is what will work best based upon what he's seeing, then I'm not going to be so arrogant as to think I know more.

If the Redskins buck conventional wisdom, rush for 150 yards and win, they know something we didn't.

If the Redskins buck conventional wisdom, rush for 51 yards and lose, they screwed up.

It has nothing to do with what I know or don't know. It has to do with the bottom line. If the brain trust at Redskin park is so darn smart that shuffling RBs around in a seemingly aimless manner mysteriously makes sense, that plan will produce. Otherwise, the simplest explanation is the one that makes the most sense: The coaches are, for the second time in two seasons, oafishly handling one of the most important positions on offense and most likely alienating one of our better players. Again.

I just hope it doesn't take an entire season, another offseason, and a couple games into the following preseason to figure this position out.

Otherwise, the simplest explanation is the one that makes the most sense: The coaches are, for the second time in two seasons, oafishly handling one of the most important positions on offense and most likely alienating one of our better players. Again.

With Callahan's track record, I don't think that's the most likely explanation.

It's certainly possible, but his past, including featuring Demarco Murray, might suggest that other factors are more likely.

interesting thread.

Callahan is the o-line coach...why would he be deciding who the RBs are?

rotation pattern may be an issue...I don't really know. first place I look, however, would be the o-line!

I would say it's more of a situation where the last couple of games, teams aren't afraid of our deep passing game. Nothing more, nothing less. Crowder and Ross are getting some valuable playing time. Garcon is Garcon up and down...Hopefully when DJax returns we'll see the playbook open a bit more. The Good news is Cousins is getting time, the bad news is his accuracy is inconsistent. This is a big difference than what we've seen in the past on the Oline. They are probably a bit overrated but they are also young and are playing well.

With Callahan's track record, I don't think that's the most likely explanation.

It's certainly possible, but his past, including featuring Demarco Murray, might suggest that other factors are more likely.

Callahan doesn't call plays, does he? If so, why the hell is an offensive line coach deciding who runs the ball?

Henry said:
Callahan doesn't call plays, does he? If so, why the hell is an offensive line coach deciding who runs the ball?

Henry, in case you missed it McD5 called our attention to the following article about a week ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ose-the-game-plans/?postshare=291444234695165

Further details at the link but for beginners....

When Jay Gruden kicked off his first season as head coach, he also served as in-game play-caller. But as the season progressed, he realized that his coaching duties required his attention in other areas as well, and so although he still composed the game plan, the coach tabbed offensive coordinator Sean McVay to handle the task of relaying plays to the quarterbacks. Gruden would select the play, and McVay (who also helped design the weekly game plan) would then radio the play call to the passer.

Things work a little differently this year. Bill Callahan’s addition to the coaching staff added a third member to the game-planning and play-calling process. During training camp, Gruden explained that Callahan selects the run calls and that he and McVay handle the play selection on passing downs

Gruden has also mentioned that he's comfortable with either of the RB's in the game and I think Callahan picks them, he might need to assert himself if the RB merry-go-round doesn't settle and go with one guy longer in games.

Things work a little differently this year. Bill Callahan’s addition to the coaching staff added a third member to the game-planning and play-calling process. During training camp, Gruden explained that Callahan selects the run calls and that he and McVay handle the play selection on passing downs.

Er ... wow.

Thanks TomE for clearing that up.

Yeah ... that doesn't make me feel better about things. :)

Er ... wow.

Thanks TomE for clearing that up.

Yeah ... that doesn't make me feel better about things. :)

Why? Why is having Callahan (who knows more about the OL strengths and weaknesses than anyone else) calling plays a problem? We have had a potent rushing attack for most of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting thread.

Callahan is the o-line coach...why would he be deciding who the RBs are?

rotation pattern may be an issue...I don't really know. first place I look, however, would be the o-line!

Reports of him calling run plays seem to be feeding that narrative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.