• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Toxic sports new reporting

As for why he's allowed to have input in the running game, it's been reported that is why he was so pissed off in Dallas. He had no voice.

I imagine that was part of the selling point in trying to convince him to come here.

so we now have potentially 3 people calling shitty plays?

Excellent...that wont cause confusion at all.

I would say it's more of a situation where the last couple of games, teams aren't afraid of our deep passing game. Nothing more, nothing less. Crowder and Ross are getting some valuable playing time. Garcon is Garcon up and down...Hopefully when DJax returns we'll see the playbook open a bit more. The Good news is Cousins is getting time, the bad news is his accuracy is inconsistent. This is a big difference than what we've seen in the past on the Oline. They are probably a bit overrated but they are also young and are playing well.

This line is all about pass protection. See all the time Kirk is getting in the pocket, and how clean they have kept him. Hard to find a group that can run and pass block equally well till they play together for a season or so. I agree nobody fears our deep passing game, and even with Jackson back, I don't see anybody being too worried.

Why? Why is having Callahan (who knows more about the OL strengths and weaknesses than anyone else) calling plays a problem? We have had a potent rushing attack for most of this year.

Well, as it's been pointed out repeatedly, these football guys know more than I do about all of this, so whatever. But having one guy call running plays while two other guys call the pass plays after a confab ... no wonder we are noticing a lack of a coherent, consistent rushing strategy.

Ultimately, win and it doesn't matter. Lose, and 'quirky brilliant' turns into just plain stupid.

Personally, though I know far less than Callahan does about such things, I would like to see the team settle on a guy. And I don't think it's all THAT big a coincidence that our three successful rushing games were the three games in which Morris had 17 or more carries.

But again, what do I know?

Our two wins are the only games we've had 1 turnover or less. That is just as likely an explanation. I could cherry pick any stat and make an argument. If they aren't convinced Morris is the RB long-term, they're smart, not disorganized or clueless, to get the other guys the ball to see who can be the future and who can't. And if Morris wants to be the guy, he needs to stop getting stuffed at the line :) And we've rushed the ball very effectively in 3 of 5 games, using multiple guys, so I would argue this is an imaginary crisis.

Oh, I'm sure turnovers have played a big role in our wins. I wouldn't argue against that.

I wasn't exactly talking about wins. I was talking about the running game. Specifically, the 3 of the 5 games of which you speak. When Morris gets the ball (17 or more carries), we have a running game. When he doesn't (6 or fewer carries) we don't. That's not the case for any of our other running backs. Maybe you're right and that's just coincidence and cherry-picking. I don't think it is. I think he's the one guy in that backfield that has earned and commands respect from opposing defensive coordinators.

Given that Morris is the only proven back we have, and that he's clearly ... CLEARLY, the most durable back we have and therefore the de facto most consistent back we have. I would like to see him continue to get the ball, us to continue to have a running game, and for our coach, whoever the hell that actually is, to stop mucking around with the better players on this team.

And if Gruden or Callahan or whoever it is DOES decide in his infinite wisdom that Morris is not the future and therefore won't get the ball, it would be really super-awesome if we get more than 51 rushing yards next time.

That's all I'm saying.

Again - Morris isn't producing consistently. We can make excuses for that ('he needs to get numerous carries to be successful') but he's not making a convincing case to be the sole RB. Jones has had some tremendous rushes, making a case for himself. I don't have any issue with giving him as many carries as possible. And Chris Thompson has skills Morris doesn't. So a) I don't think 2 games out of 5 make a crisis, and b) I also think it's quite possible that the team is not 100% sold on signing Morris to a big contract next year and may be auditioning his potential replacement.

Bottom line. We had a terrible game against the Giants in all phases (it wasn't just about a failed running game) and the Falcons are extremely stout against the run. It wasn't going to matter who we rushed against them - we weren't going to have a big day on the ground.

Btw - Chris Thomspon is averaging 7.7 yards per carry - almost twice Alfred's average. I don't see how anyone can fault the coaches for trying to work him into as many possessions as possible (and that's not accounting for his receiving yards). Jones is also outgaining Morris by about 1/2 yard per carry.

Not making a convincing case? In what, the five games of 2015?

Btw - Chris Thomspon is averaging 7.7 yards per carry - almost twice Alfred's average. I don't see how anyone can fault the coaches for trying to work him into as many possessions as possible (and that's not accounting for his receiving yards). Jones is also outgaining Morris by about 1/2 yard per carry.

I think that is because they don't stack the box or look for the run like they do when a true RB is in the game. The rest, I have no dog in that fight =)

They can't stack the box because he's a legitimate pass catcher out of the backfield. They aren't concerned about Jones or Morris as a receiving threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, i agree Thompson is doing a great job as a change of pace back. Its nice to actually have one.

Morris is my guy. I admit it.

But I will say this: If its Jones, give him the damn ball. Pick a guy. I dont really care which. One guy gets most of the carries, the other guy spells him, Thompson screws with the defense's head. Give someone, ANYONE, a chance to settle into the position and get into a rythm. I think our running game would be a lot better, especially going against the better rushing defenses like Atlanta's.

At the start of the year, training camp even, the coaches made it plainly clear that we were focusing our offense on running the ball and being a physical run team. They have kept that promise. They also said they would rotate the two backs so as not to run them down so we could tire out the defense. That was made plainly clear. They have stuck with that. The hiccup came when Jones started fumbling.

As for Callahan, he was the offensive coordinator and called plays from the booth down to the sideline (Jerry demanded that so Garret could be a "walk around head coach"). Garret reviewed the play for any changes. That caused delay of game penalties and some confusion. So they put the QB coach in the booth with him to help relay the calls. They didn't like that set up either, brought Callahan back to the sidelines, and took the playcalling away.

Now Callahan is here, I knew he hated the setup in Dallas and despite a good team playoff contender, he walked. What his motivations for coming to DC was, I don't know. But I see some of the same things happening, and if there is indecision about run or pass, I can see how this set up will not work. Yet we can plainly see the impact Callahan has had on the Oline. He has confidence in them with the run calls. He can't very well back off now, that will hurt the line chemistry imho.

I say stick with what we got, perfect it if possible, but know that Gruden is not the one calling all the plays. But you can bet that before the game, the game plan will feature 15-20 plays that all the coaches are on board with to start the game.

Against Atlanta Jones and Morris had 19 rushes between them. That's not focusing on the run. The stats are similar against new york. That's half the season so far we haven't committed to the run game

Going back to the OP, I replied via our BGO twitter yesterday to a Bleacher Report link to a Dan Snyder hit piece that dealt with the illegal cap hit from nearly four years ago. And it was full of praise for Mara, blah, blah, blah.

I told everyone not to click on it as it was just rehashing a bunch of lies and typical Dan Snyder hatred. Also mentioned that BR relies on clicks for their advertisers. Got a lot of likes, so hope that helped.

Just ignore that kind of crap. It serves no useful purpose. Things like Tandler's Real Redskins, the actual Redskins site, Keim at ESPN, Redskins 247 and others are great sources. I highly recommend them and we feature those links regularly on the BGO twitter and Facebook. Feel free to link those sources here when we post them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.