• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Redskins at Falcons

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Game Notes: Washington Redskins at Atlanta Falcons

· The Washington Redskins fell to the Atlanta Falcons in overtime, 25-19, in front of an announced crowd of 70,178 people at the Georgia Dome on Sunday.

· Kicker Dustin Hopkins converted a career-long 52-yard field goal with no time remaining in regulation to force overtime.

· Hopkins’ 52-yard field goal was the longest by a member of the Redskins since Dec. 24, 2011 (Graham Gano, 53 yards vs. Minnesota).

· Hopkins became the first Redskins kicker to force overtime with a game-tying field goal in the final minute of regulation since John Hall vs. the New York Giants on Sept. 21, 2003.

· The field goal came as the culmination of a drive lasting 24 seconds, the team’s quickest scoring drive by time since a nine-second drive in Week 3 at Philadelphia last season.

· The Redskins are now 25-15-1 all-time in overtime games.

· The Redskins won the turnover battle, 3-2. The Redskins forced three takeaways for the first time since Week 13 last season at Indianapolis.

· The Redskins have recorded multiple takeaways in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 12-13 last season.

· The Redskins intercepted multiple passes for the first time since Dec. 29, 2013 against the New York Giants.

· The Redskins held the Falcons to one sack for a loss of zero yards. The Redskins have now held opponents to one sack or fewer in three consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 11-13 of the 2009 season.

· Quarterback Kirk Cousins completed 21-of-32 passes for 219 yards with a touchdown.

· Cousins’ 126 completions this season are the most by a Redskins quarterback through the first five games of a season since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, surpassing Robert Griffin III’s 125 completions through five games in 2013.

· Wide receiver Jamison Crowder earned his first career start as the Redskins opened the game in a three-receiver set.

· Crowder recorded career highs in receptions (eight) and receiving yards (87), both team highs. He also added a career-long 26-yard reception.

· Cornerback Bashaud Breeland tied his career high with four passes defensed, set previously in Week 8 last season at Dallas.

· Breeland notched his fourth career game with multiple passes defensed and his first since Week 15 last season (three, at New York Giants).

· In the fourth quarter, Breeland recorded his third career interception, picking off Matt Ryan and recording a career-long 28-yard interception return. The interception was his first of the season and his first since Week 16 vs. Philadelphia last year.

· Safety Trenton Robinson recorded his first interception of the season on Atlanta’s opening drive. The interception was the second of Robinson’s career.

· With the stop, the Redskins have now held each of their opponents this season to zero points on opening drives. Before Sunday, the last time the Redskins held five consecutive opponents scoreless on their first offensive possession was Weeks 9-13 of the 2013 season.

· Robinson’s interception marked the first time the Redskins forced a takeaway on an opponent’s opening drive since Week 16 of 2014, when Ryan Kerrigan forced and recovered a Philadelphia fumble. It was the team’s first interception on an opponent’s opening drive since Week 10 of 2013 (Brandon Meriweather at Minnesota).

· Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan recorded two sacks. The multi-sack game was the seventh of Kerrigan’s career and his first since Week 14 last season.

· Kerrigan moved into fifth-place on the Redskins’ all-time sack list with a sack in the first quarter. The sack pushed Kerrigan past Brian Orakpo (40.0) in franchise history.

· The Redskins opened the scoring on a seven-yard touchdown pass from Cousins to tight end Derek Carrier in the second quarter.

· The touchdown reception was the first of Carrier’s career.

· The passing touchdown was Cousins’ fifth of the season and the 23rd of his career.

· The touchdown was the culmination of a 12-play, 67-yard drive. Washington entered the game leading the league with 13 drives of 10 plays or more through the first four weeks, including a league-best 11 scoring drives lasting 10 plays or more.

· The touchdown was Cousins’ first passing touchdown this season from a distance other than four yards, as he threw one four-yard touchdown in each of the team’s first four games.

· Cousins’ now has a passing touchdown in five consecutive games, tying the longest streak of his career (Weeks 2-6 in 2014).

· Defensive end Chris Baker recorded his first career forced fumble on a sack of Matt Ryan in the second quarter.

· The sack credited to Baker extended his career-high sack total this season to 3.5.

· Baker has now recorded sacks in consecutive games for the first time in his career.

· The fumble was recovered by linebacker Will Compton, his first career fumble recovery.

· Baker added another forced fumble in the fourth quarter, becoming the first member of the Redskins to record two forced fumbles in a game since Ryan Kerrigan on Nov. 13, 2011 at Miami.

· Rookie running back Matt Jones scored his third career touchdown on a two-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

· The touchdown was the culmination of a three-play, 80-yard scoring drive, tying the team’s shortest scoring drive in terms of play this season . In Week 2 vs. St. Louis, Jones scored on a 39-yard touchdown run to cap a three-play, 72-yard drive.

· The Redskins held the Falcons to three points in the first half. Washington has held opponents to three or fewer first-half points three times in a four-game span for the first time since doing it in five straight games from Weeks 13-17 of the 2007 season.

· Cornerback Will Blackmon made his first start as a member of the Redskins and recorded his first forced fumble of the season. The fumble recovery was the sixth of his career.

· Punter Tress Way averaged 50.3 yards per punt on four punts, the third-best average of his career and his best since Sept. 25, 2014 (58.3 vs. New York Giants).

· Atlanta kicker Matt Bryant missed field goal attempts of 38 yards and 48 yards, marking the third time that a Redskins’ opponent has missed multiple field goals in a game in the Jay Gruden era.

· Atlanta started drives in Washington territory twice in the second quarter but was held without points on both possessions. The first started on the Washington 40-yard line and culminated with the Ryan fumble. The other started on the Washington 45-yard line and ended with a missed field goal by Bryant.

· The game was the 1,200th in Redskins history, including postseason play. The Redskins joined the Bears, Packers, Giants, Cardinals and Lions as the only NFL franchises to appear in 1,200 combined regular season and postseason games.

· The Redskins are now 31-25 all-time in indoor games, including postseason play and including games played in stadiums with closed retractable roofs.

· The Redskins all-time record against the Falcons now stands at 15-9-1, including postseason play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerrigan was being held a LOT by the Falcons RT, on the one highlite run, he was really obvious too, I hope the skins send the film to the refs. its bad enough when they dont get pressure or let guys run past but when the other teams Oline is literally not even using decent technique and just hugging them up, it pisses me off.

Our defence is actually looking like an NFL defence, it has some holes and needs more talent but for the first time since Gregg, we actually have a defence that doesnt look completely overmatched. it helps when the coaches actually understand how to scheme. (eff you haslett).

I think im ok with cousins being the qb, he sucks, and he throws picks but the one pick wasnt his fault, the pick 6 was entirely his fault. I am worried that we cant seem to get push in the run game with lauvao our as lauvao isnt exactly a probowler although he was playing well before he got hurt. I would like to see a better and bigger centre but aside from that adding some competition at guard is the main thing for next years draft, and adding BPA really. Jones looks good, I am hoping thats not a flash in the pan.

if we are gonna lose, I am glad we are showing improvement and being competitive. thats been missing from most of this roster.

and one last thing I am pretty pissed that we never figured out how to use Rg3 properly, I honestly believe if we schemed it right we could have a solid offence with him at the helm, far better than what we have right now.

and one last thing I am pretty pissed that we never figured out how to use Rg3 properly, I honestly believe if we schemed it right we could have a solid offence with him at the helm, far better than what we have right now.

I can't wait til he's gone so we can stop talking silly talk!

I can't wait til he's gone so we can stop talking silly talk!

Cousins is on pace to have a worse season than RGIII had in 2013, but nobody really wants to talk about that "silly talk". So, we benched the guy we invested so much in for having 9 bad games in a new system under a new coach who never really believed in him to begin with.

Cousins is on pace to have a worse season than RGIII had in 2013, but nobody really wants to talk about that "silly talk". So, we benched the guy we invested so much in for having 9 bad games in a new system under a new coach who never really believed in him to begin with.

If you really can't see how bad Griffin was, what a tremendous cancer he was to the team as long as he was taking snaps with our starters, then there is no sense discussing this with you...it' really is a sMoot Point.

Wonder how all would feel if Griff was in this year and playing exactly as Kirk has.

Short (west coast) passing game, enough INT's to aggravate, winning drive, drive to tie, minimizing sacks, pocket presence, getting the ball out quick, not injured and standing at the podium after a crushing loss and saying

“I wasn’t good enough on some of those throws, There’s nowhere to point except at myself. I have to make those throws. I can make those throws, and I believe I will over the long haul. But today I left too many out there.”

I'd be pleased in saying that Griff is making nice progress on all fronts and I suspect that our little grading sessions would yield higher results for the position but he still looks like 'just a guy'

Wonder how all would feel if Griff was in this year and playing exactly as Kirk has.

Short (west coast) passing game, enough INT's to aggravate, winning drive, drive to tie, minimizing sacks, pocket presence, getting the ball out quick, not injured and standing at the podium after a crushing loss and saying

I'd be pleased in saying that Griff is making nice progress on all fronts and I suspect that our little grading sessions would yield higher results for the position but he still looks like 'just a guy'

I can tell you the standard for Griffin has always been higher...as it should for the cost to draft him. He never lived up to his value as the 2nd overall pick we spent 3 1st and 1 2nd round picks to draft.

Cousins is a 4th round pick who doesn't have that level of expectation. To expect him to be better than he is is probably asking too much. He is solidifying his status as a career backup each week. Yes, he shows progress, the kid is gaining confidence, but he is still making poor throws and a few of them this past week that probably cost us the game.

But there are and probably should be more expectations of Griffin.

In 2013 we were the worst team in the league in points scored in the 1st half. RG3 got most of them stats in garbage time late in the game. We weren't even in a lot of games in 2013. It was usually over by halftime.

Gruden didn't invest anything in RG3. He wasn't hired with strings attached to develop RG3 regardless of what some fans want to say. He has the right to play who he thinks is best.

He does have the right to play who he thinks is best...but why he thinks Cousins is, is beyond me. He hasnt even talked of McCoy yet. Its obvious its personal and he is tying his wagon and fate to Kirk Cousins developing in to a stud.

He does have the right to play who he thinks is best...but why he thinks Cousins is, is beyond me. He hasnt even talked of McCoy yet. Its obvious its personal and he is tying his wagon and fate to Kirk Cousins developing in to a stud.

Do you really think Gruden is a complete idiot? You really think he would bench someone over personal feelings?

If you can't see that Cousins is much more proficient at sustaining drives and getting rid of the ball and avoiding sacks for negative yards your eyes are closed. At least you can run an offense with Cousins. With Robert your stuck with doing what little he's capable of.

Robert can not throw to the middle of the field. I don't know if he can't see it, anticipate it or what. Either way he can't do it. He didn't do it at Baylor and i thought that may be by design since they had K Wright and T Williams on either side of the ball. Then in 2013 when we tried to play him from the pocket Shanahan totally abandoned the crossing routes which were a staple in his offense. Then i seen more of it the little he played last year.

You people are not giving Cousins credit when he makes it look as easy as he does at times. Them are 2nd and 3rd reads he's completing without hesitation and without getting sacked. If you think Robert could go out there and do that you're kidding yourself.

People can sit here all day and say well our O line is better and Robert would do the same. News flash, it's not that much better. It's better because of Cousins staying the pocket and getting rid of the ball. It's better because were not running as many zone plays in the running game that were losing 2 and 3 yards half the time last year.

Absolutely I think he is. You can tell by how he breaks down games between Kirk and Robert. It is as simple as that.

My eyes aren't closed, save your insults just because you don't like that I have a different opinion than you.

Robert threw a touchdown to Garcon over the middle of the field against NO. OK, do I need to break down every middle of the field pass?

I give Cousins plenty of credit. But I am not going to be quiet when I see subpar play and a coach that is clearly bias.

News flash? OK. Well, news flash, Cousins gets rid of it faster...and throws a shit ton more interceptions that Griffin did.

Gruden didn't invest anything in RG3. He wasn't hired with strings attached to develop RG3 regardless of what some fans want to say. He has the right to play who he thinks is best.

How do you know that?

Robert threw a touchdown to Garcon over the middle of the field against NO. OK, do I need to break down every middle of the field pass?

Well, news flash, Cousins gets rid of it faster...and throws a shit ton more interceptions that Griffin did.

Yea, please do break down the rest of the throws across the middle. That play they ran to Garcon was a deep dig against man coverage that was behind him if you remember. That was a one read play against man. That's far from declaring his ability to throw across the middle.

Yea, another news flash, Cousins doesn't get sacked and fumble the ball away then lay on the field for everybody to see and feel sorry for either.

I can tell you the standard for Griffin has always been higher...as it should for the cost to draft him. He never lived up to his value as the 2nd overall pick we spent 3 1st and 1 2nd round picks to draft.

Cousins is a 4th round pick who doesn't have that level of expectation. To expect him to be better than he is is probably asking too much. He is solidifying his status as a career backup each week. Yes, he shows progress, the kid is gaining confidence, but he is still making poor throws and a few of them this past week that probably cost us the game.

But there are and probably should be more expectations of Griffin.
Understand and agree with what you're saying but the current situation is what it is and knowing what we know now, Griff showing like Kirk would be considered an up swing in his development as a NFL QB with those same high expectations to ultimately be 'the guy'

Kirk has been a backup save five games as 'the starter', a place where Griff has been for over three years. I don't know the difference in attention given a starter vs backup through OTA, practice and classroom but I suspect the starter gets all of the prime cuts. Kirk is basically just starting to get his.

A solid NFL backup might not be a bad thing, for now. It gives us the chance at least to evaluate all else within the team talent pool with some semblance of competent QB play. If Kirk actually develops into something more then good for us.

I'm sure we'll continue to look for that rare 'elite' QB regardless.

Yea, please do break down the rest of the throws across the middle. That play they ran to Garcon was a deep dig against man coverage that was behind him if you remember. That was a one read play against man. That's far from declaring his ability to throw across the middle.

Yea, another news flash, Cousins doesn't get sacked and fumble the ball away then lay on the field for everybody to see and feel sorry for either.
Yeah, I'm sure interceptions are better than sacks. Makes total sense.

Oh, and I'm not breaking 3 years of stats down for you. Let's just try to remain civil here.

Oh, well that settles that. :)

Seriously, he was asked the question or it was implied, can't remember exactly, but he answered very straight forward. I don't think he would lie like that to the press. I know the report of drama supposedly with Snyder and the comment "he's stealing money". That was some report in the news and not something Snyder has publicly admitted.

So, i'm going with the guy who said it publicly.

Kirk has been a backup save five games as 'the starter', a place where Griff has been for over three years. I don't know the difference in attention given a starter vs backup through OTA, practice and classroom but I suspect the starter gets all of the prime cuts. Kirk is basically just starting to get his.

Not to take away from anything else you said, but Gruden has started Cousins 10 times, Griffin 7, and McCoy 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.