• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Make Roster Moves 9/29/15

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
September 29, 2015

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following free agent:
LB Mason Foster

The Redskins signed the following practice squad player to their active roster:
CB Quinton Dunbar

The Redskins placed the following players on their Reserve/Injured list:
G Shawn Lauvao
CB Justin Rogers

The Redskins signed the following player to their practice squad:
C Austin Reiter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just lost our starting LG for the season.
Arie / Long. Hopefully one of these 2 steps up to become the guy at LG.

Why LB Mason Foster is flying under radar in free agency | FOX Sports
For four years, linebacker Mason Foster has built a resume, working towards his second contract.

Over the next week, his future will be determined. For now, uncertainty looms for the 25-year-old middle linebacker. And it's not by chance that Foster's name is flying a bit under the radar in this free-agency class.

While the Tampa Bay Buccaneers maintain exclusive negotiation rights through Saturday at 4 p.m. ET, the 6-foot-2, 240-pound tackling machine will be pursued by multiple teams as he tops the list of available three-down middle linebackers in free agency.

"I loved my time in Tampa and I'm excited for the next chapter in my career, whether that be here or somewhere else," Foster told FOXSports.com. "I know my best football is in front of me, and I can't wait to get back on the field and contribute to a winning season."

The reality is Foster had been the quarterback of Tampa Bay's defense for three seasons. During that span, he averaged 94 tackles, two sacks and two interceptions a season. Then, a coaching change occurred, which came with a change in defensive philosophies. The Bucs transitioned to a Tampa-2 defense, which stresses middle linebackers to drop in coverage.

Foster, known more for his instincts and physicality, wasn't a natural fit in the scheme, but it'd be wrong to label him as a guy who lacks speed or coverage ability.

"Mason is a tough, physical, smart inside linebacker," former Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik told FOXSports.com. "He sees plays develop. He plays downhill and he's a very strong tackler at the point of impact.

"The good thing about Mason is not only can he play in the 4-3 as a Mike (middle) or a Sam (strong side), but he can play in the 3-4 at either middle linebacker spot. He has versatility to play for just about any defense in the league."

Dominik, who drafted Foster in the third round from Washington in 2011, also works as an ESPN analyst after being fired from Tampa Bay in 2013.

Foster's versatility can be highlighted by the way he adapted to change. In four seasons, Foster played in three different schemes. Transitioning from head coaches Raheem Morris to Greg Schiano to Lovie Smith wasn't an easy task, but his mental aptitude allowed him to rely on his instincts and athleticism to make plays.
"I don't think people realize how smart he is," Dominik said. "He really does understand defenses. He can make the calls, get guys lined up. That's a very valuable thing when you look at middle linebackers."

Aside from the change in defensive philosophies, Foster sustained a separated shoulder and a strained Achilles last season. The injuries caused him to miss six games, which naturally caused a dip in his production.

Tampa Bay's defense was substantially better with Foster on the field in average points, total yards, pass yards and rush yards allowed, Bleacher Report's Jason Kanno referenced last December.

"Again, you like the linebackers that, when they hit opponents, they're not getting dragged three or four yards," Dominik said. "They're actually creating a play and making an impact and that's what Mason does."

Foster is the youngest in a healthy free-agent class at middle linebacker, which include New York's David Harris (31), Cincinnati's Rey Maualuga (28) and Buffalo's Brandon Spikes (27).

Teams looking for help at inside linebacker include the Atlanta Falcons, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, New York Giants and Green Bay Packers.

Foster might not be headlining the free agency conversations, but teams who typically sustain success treat this time of year as a way to make stealthy signings to enhance their team.

For Foster, manning the middle comes with a certain responsibility. With the work he has done in the past, it's only a matter of where he'll be playing next season.

Bears cut LB Mason Foster - CBSSports.com
In a somewhat surprising move, the Bears released linebacker Mason Foster as part of their roster cuts Saturday to get down to the NFL-mandated 53 men, per a team release.

The Bears signed Foster in the offseason, and he provided a veteran presence in a reserve role after starting 54 games for the Buccaneers. But he was apparently beaten out by fellow backer John Timu.

Well that's intriguing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.