• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Defense being top in the league was nonsense.

Solitary Man

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
We played against a bad Nick Foles in week two and a game managing converted WR in week 1.

The typical play for me last night was 3rd down and 3 in the 2nd quarter with about 9 minutes left in the half. I honestly saw this play happen before it even happened.

We had no one in the middle and Eli just ate it up. Keenan goes to cover the TE (some guy named Fells) and lines up too far outside(on the guys outside shoulder), the guy makes one fake up and then cuts in and Eli hits him for about 20 yards.
Joe Barry has to explain that defensive set up to me. I was perplexed by it. Keenan should take some of the blame for that play, but since he was our best player yesterday, and he is still improving, I will give him a pass on that one.

Then we could not get off the field on 3rd down again. Dink and dunk. A lot of that happened in the first quarters of preseason games this year. Top defenses don't allow that.

Last edited:
If the offense didn't put the defense in a bad way all night, it would have been a different story.

If the offense, the vaunted "Gruden" offense, played as good as the defense has so far, we'd be 2-1 for sure. If not 3-0.

Barry has learned from his mistakes. After finishing dead last in Detroit, I feel confident now that he can make this team into a Top-30 defense!

We get to play the Jets defense in a few weeks. Bowles has that defense playing like one of the best in the league.
Ours is improved, but not in the same class.

The defensive ranking #1 was a direct result of the success of the running game and leading the league in time of possession. We had the ball so long the first two games, that the opponent never had a chance to run up offensive statistics against our defense.

Keep it all in perspective and context folks.

Goodness. Just how good can it be with this secondary?

Total yards doesn't usually mean much of anything. It never has, and never will. It's fun to see us on the top of the list, but I recall being number 1 several years ago, then going into Foxboro and getting obliterated for 52 points.

Total yards doesn't usually mean much of anything. It never has, and never will. It's fun to see us on the top of the list, but I recall being number 1 several years ago, then going into Foxboro and getting obliterated for 52 points.

Great point. Stats are only part of the equation, and should never be the only method used to rank anything. The NFLN was pumping up this matchup and forcing this number one defense crap down our throats. Knowledgeable fans will know when our Defense is a top 5.

If we don't improve our takeaway ratio, it's going to be a long year defensively.

With 1 through the first 3 games, we're on pace for a sizzling 5.3 takeaways in 2015.

Barry has learned from his mistakes. After finishing dead last in Detroit, I feel confident now that he can make this team into a Top-30 defense!

I don't understand this comment. I wasn't a fan of the Barry hire, because I saw nothing in his history suggesting he was a great DC. But the defense is not only much better, up till last night it has been pretty stout. Considering the injuries we've had that is pretty impressive.

I know you guys are angry about the loss last night, but I honestly don't get the snark here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Boone, it was just a joke.

Haven't we finished bottom 5 every year Hazmat was here? We may not be top 5 by years end but it won't be nearly as bad as Hazheem had them playing.

My guess is middle of the pack area. It's sure as hell better than the bottom with the chuds.

I'd almost forgotten we were ranked first back then. :paranoid:

We've not any more.

Seven weeks in, the defense seems to be trending the wrong way. Absolutely, injuries in the secondary have played a factor, but to me most obvious change has been in the run game. Here are the raw rushing yards allowed ...

74 vs Miami
67 vs St. Louis
84 vs NY Giants
87 vs Philly
176 vs Atlanta
221 vs Jets
190 vs Tampa

Erg.

Traditionally, teams exchange full game tapes with one another after four weeks. At least that's how it used to work. If it still is, it might suggest something.

And clearly, the offensive struggles running the ball and maintaining TOP has had an impact. No way to determine how much, though. The defense has struggled lately both early in games/halves and late.

Also, ran across this just now ... it suggests the recent problems vs the run have been more about scheme, i.e., having OLB's crash inside and asking ILB's to drift out and set the edge, than about individual failings. Without an analysis of what the Skins were doing before the recent running explosion against them, it's kind of meaningless, but it does at least make me wonder if Mr. Barry is getting schooled at bit.

Washington Redskins NFL Football Front Page

At any rate ... it's definitely something to look at heading into the rest of the season. Probably not so much against NE, who I assume will simply let Brady perform 60 minutes of aerial surgery on our depleted secondary, but after that, if we're going to fight to stay alive for any kind of late run, we're going to need the D to at least slow somebody down on the ground.

There are some struggles to be sure. It still looks better to the eye than Hazmat's D. We are just so talent poor across the board. I sure hope in 2 years we can look back at the addition of a ton of players that contribute to a ton of improvement. I don't find my self too often screaming at the TV wondering what the hell Barry is doing. Just seems like a lot of missed tackles, a few key missed assignments and poor D line play.

There are some struggles to be sure. It still looks better to the eye than Hazmat's D. We are just so talent poor across the board. I sure hope in 2 years we can look back at the addition of a ton of players that contribute to a ton of improvement. I don't find my self too often screaming at the TV wondering what the hell Barry is doing. Just seems like a lot of missed tackles, a few key missed assignments and poor D line play.

Not gonna say that's addition by subtraction, but...

I am still willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt, but if we continue to regress, I am going to be more and more pissed we didn't pull the trigger on Wade Phillips.

He's no Wade and never will be. If we had a realistic chance of landing Wade, we should have pulled the trigger.

He's no Wade and never will be. If we had a realistic chance of landing Wade, we should have pulled the trigger.

Unless I am forgetting something...we did, there were several reports he was ready to sign. He wanted to coach with his son. After we hired Barry, he signed with Denver.

That twice in the last 5 years we should have hired him and didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.