• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A bold Cowboys trade for RGIII would save their season, his career...

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to say about this one but thought I'd throw it to the wolves.

A bold Cowboys trade for RGIII would save their season, his career
By David Steele

The Cowboys don’t have to look far for the quarterback who can save their season. All they have to do is grab the quarterback one of their division rivals doesn’t want, someone whose career has suffered a sharp decline since leading his team to an improbable division title not long ago.

Yes, Washington’s Robert Griffin III.

MORE: Free-agent QBs available for Romo-less Cowboys | What would it cost to trade for RGIII?

Griffin, of course, isn’t out there on the street like Tim Tebow. Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett will have to trade for him, and take on a $16 million option for 2016 that they’d have to pay if Griffin gets injured this year. Not exactly a safe move for a player with a noted injury history.

But for all of that — and the possible price of a mid-round draft pick, which Washington likely would hold out for — the Cowboys could not only survive Tony Romo’s broken collarbone and get back on the playoff track; they could revive the career of a fallen star once poised to take over the NFL.

They'd bring Griffin back to his home state, where he's still a hero at Baylor. He'd also be joining the team against whom he had arguably the two best games of his incandescent 2012 season: Thanksgiving in Dallas, and the season finale and division-clincher in Landover, Md.

And, as a bonus, they would stick a thumb right in the eye of an organization they’ve battled for decades.

It would all come down to whether the Cowboys believe they can steer Griffin out of his career skid, coach him up and turn him around. If so, they can ride him to the postseason, and then even hang onto him to groom as Romo’s eventual replacement. ......More

I do not, for a second, believe that Garrett is the coach that will provide the spark to transform Griffin's career. This move would hurt for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure it doesn't make some small bit of sense, depending on the pick. The author mentioned the extra 6th rounder the Boys have, I don't see that doing it. Anything 4th or higher has to be seriously considered.

The Cowboys OLine would give Griffin the time he didn't have last year, so it would be an interesting experiment. Ugh, makes me cry a little to think about it, but it might be best for my team if the offer was right.

Sports from The Onion? What's next?

THAT is all we need. Trade away the pissed off QB who then comes back to beat us with our most hated rival. No thank you!

No way, no how.

We should be working on signing Robert to an extension, 2 yrs, that removes the injury guarantee. And we should do it before the end of the month.

Yeah...I'm not seeing this. Not unless the trade is just stupidly over balanced in our favor and even then it would have to be overbalanced so much that if RGIII won a Super Bowl starting for the Cowboys I felt like I got the better end of the deal. I doubt even Jerry is brain dead enough to do that.

THAT is all we need. Trade away the pissed off QB who then comes back to beat us with our most hated rival. No thank you!

That's just not going to happen. Griffin is at least two years away from being even a middle of the road QB and due to his ego, proclivity to get injured and other factors he most likely won't ever get there. If Jerruh offered a ham sammich for him I'd take it in a heartbeat and consider it a win for fleecing a division rival and taking away a bit of their cap space to boot. The hit to their locker room chemistry and the turmoil would just be gravy. If we somehow got a mid round pick instead of a ham sammich, it would be like theft. So yes, Jerruh PLEASE "resurrect" Robert's career and "save" your season. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

That's just not going to happen. Griffin is at least two years away from being even a middle of the road QB and due to his ego, proclivity to get injured and other factors he most likely won't ever get there. If Jerruh offered a ham sammich for him I'd take it in a heartbeat and consider it a win for fleecing a division rival and taking away a bit of their cap space to boot. The hit to their locker room chemistry and the turmoil would just be gravy. If we somehow got a mid round pick instead of a ham sammich, it would be like theft. So yes, Jerruh PLEASE "resurrect" Robert's career and "save" your season. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

I understand the logic and thought behind it...but that is just our luck. We have NO need to EVER help the enemy out with anything except giving them another L.

Screw Dallas.... we'll be able to get a much better offer by about week 8 from Philly, as the Bradford experiment will be full blown disaster by then......:paranoid:

Edit due to brain fart :)

Last edited:
I understand the logic and thought behind it...but that is just our luck. We have NO need to EVER help the enemy out with anything except giving them another L.

I understand the emotion, but hope Scot is able to look at it dispassionately. Griffin is a long way off, do you really think Garrett is going to remake him? I just don't see it, personally. I think there are a few places we could send Griffin that could shape him and develop him appropriately but Dallas isn't one of those places. Scot has proven his ability to find talent in the later rounds, so if we could finangle a 4th from the Cowboys, I think we should pull the trigger. It's possible that Griffin could develop over time into a real NFL QB (though I think it highly unlikely in Dallas); we have essentially declared we are done with Griffin, so by the time Griffin "caught up" and become a real QB (if it ever happens), he would be off our team anyway. So why not get something for him?

Griffin is a great fit in Dallas from a Redskins' perspective. His talent and potential are both intoxicating. He is smart, works hard and fans will love him. But look at where he is compared with how Kirk played yesterday (who is far from a finished talent). Kirk actually moved AWAY from pressure in the pocket yesterday, floating left and right as needed to find the open space he needed to make the throws. Griffin hasn't shown that ability in the slightest. Can he develop it? I have no idea. But he will only learn it by being on the field getting sacked. So why not let someone else experience the growing pains?

I'd like to see griffin play behind a quality o-line.

we don't need him. get what we can and end the matter.

I certainly couldn't argue with you when citing our sorry luck as evidence against such a trade.

Screw Dallas.... we'll be able to get a much better offer by about week 8 from Philly, as the Stafford experiment will be full blown disaster by then......:paranoid:

By Stafford, I assume you mean Bradford? I personally love every loss the Eagles suffer, as I am long sick of hearing about Chip Kelly's genius without him having results.

God forbid we make this move but, if it happens, I'll be praying it turns out like the McNabb trade. If it somehow came back to bite us, at least I'd KNOW this organization was cursed instead of just suspecting it.

So most of us are on record saying 'just cut Griffin', but we're going to be terrified he'd go to Dallas and turn into Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman? I hope they do offer us something major for him - but I suspect they have seen exactly what we have, that Griffin is a world class athlete and an (at best) average QB. I have zero fear of this move, but I would be surprised if the Cowboys had much interest.

RG3 would be a bad fit in Dallas. He doesn't have a criminal record.

By Stafford, I assume you mean Bradford? I personally love every loss the Eagles suffer, as I am long sick of hearing about Chip Kelly's genius without him having results.

:rotflmao: Yup , yup.... one of my Alfred Einstein moments.....

So most of us are on record saying 'just cut Griffin', but we're going to be terrified he'd go to Dallas and turn into Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman? I hope they do offer us something major for him - but I suspect they have seen exactly what we have, that Griffin is a world class athlete and an (at best) average QB. I have zero fear of this move, but I would be surprised if the Cowboys had much interest.

why would they offer anything? they hold the cards. we, from all appearances, need to unload griffin. he has no identifiable role.

terrified? are we projecting here? I would like to see him go there mainly because I'd like to see him rewind and take a other swing. recognizing all his faults.....this organization has been a career killer killer for more than one QB and completely eff'd up for YEARS. griffin shaped his own destiny....but context made a huge difference. I'd like to see a decent and talented person take another shot and succeed. don't really care where.

so happy McL is on-scene and acting on his vision. he is the key difference maker from last year. he will be here, personal history and all, a lot longer than anyone else on payroll. possibly the best thing to happen to this franchise since 1992!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.