• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

he has a facebook page that he updates once in a blue moon with stuff about his animal rescuing projects or Michigan St stuff...he doesn't really do much with that.

Nice post, K.

Without revisiting all the history from last year (or getting sidetracked on Gruden), I think the biggest thing to come out of the Rams game for me was that last scoring drive.

The biggest knocks on Kirk have been the INT's and that he came up small in crunch time. For one game, anyway, the INT's went away (yes, they dropped one--I suspect that happened for more than one QB on Sunday), and, more importantly, when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, and the momentum was very much in doubt, he coolly directed a game-clinching TD drive in which he not only "managed" things, but threw as pretty a 3rd down conversion (Reed) as could be thrown.

The man didn't look like a guy in his 11th start--he looked like a composed vet. That wasn't lost on me, and I suspect it wasn't lost on his teammates and coaches either.

As building blocks go, depending on how this all plays out down the road, we may look back on last Sunday as a cornerstone.

OM quote:
"The biggest knocks on Kirk have been the INT's and that he came up small in crunch time. For one game, anyway, the INT's went away (yes, they dropped one--I suspect that happened for more than one QB on Sunday), and, more importantly, when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, and the momentum was very much in doubt, he coolly directed a game-clinching TD drive "

Hopefully, this is where we are at with Kirk. He can manage the game, but is he "clutch". You know, come from behind drive in the 4th qtr to win. The winners are clutch. We led wire to wire, but in the NFL, most games come down to the 4th qtr, last drive of the game. If you are clutch, you want to the ball last. This is the intangible we are wanting to see now.

Kirk said in the past when he fell behing he tried to get it all back with a homerun pass now he understands take what the defense gives you and live on another series lol. i have a feeling the Giants might try to stuff the run to force Kirk to throw early

Kirk said in the past when he fell behing he tried to get it all back with a homerun pass now he understands take what the defense gives you and live on another series lol. i have a feeling the Giants might try to stuff the run to force Kirk to throw early

Neither team they faced in the first 2 games has a stellar run game. I think we go out and manhandle them. I think we can run it down their throats. Don't be surprised to see the 3 TE set and Carrier and/or McCoy have a big game in play action since the D will be focusing on Reed.

My theory on tonights game... and Cousins development so far...

The Giants do not have a great Run game. However their Run Defense has been pretty stout over the first two games. They've actually allowed less running yards than we have. Even the Cowboys vaunted O-Line couldn't help the Cowboys get more than 80 yards rushing and Randle only had 65.

We've modelled our O-Line somewhat on the one in Dallas, only we're a year behind. But we have looked REALLY good in the first two games. (Though with Moses and Scherff being practically rookies on the line - know Moses is a 2nd year, but he was in IR all last year if I recall - I'm kinda still waiting for a repeat of the Detroit pre-season showing.) If we're solid then I don't think the Giants have faced anyone with a 1-2 punch like we have with MoJo (assuming they keep up the good work).

Gruden has shown commitment to the ground game so if he sticks to his guns I think we could have a good showing.

With that in mind and getting back to Cousins, he really just needs to do what he did last week. Manage the offense, not try and go for broke and trust our Defense to win their side of the ball.

The good news for Cousins? The Giants are ranked 32nd in the league in Pass Defense over 2 weeks. (They've allowed 702 yards through the air to Washingtons 328 yards. We're number 2 by the way! :D)
Now granted they have faced Romo and Ryan, while we only had to contend with Tannehill and Foles, but still. Huge difference in stats.
They're also without Rodgers-Cromartie. So if Cousins plays calmly and sensibly there could be a big day for the passing game in prospect. I just hope that they still use the pass game to supplement the run and not vice versa.

The potential spoiler?

Eli Manning throwing to Beckham. Eli is not having a great season thus far, but Beckham is and while I think our cornerback and saftey play is improved... it still concerns me back there. (Thank GOD Amerson is gone!)
They've also led in both games going into the 4th quarter. Now Ryan and Romo are calm enough and veteran enough to spark comebacks....

Do we trust Cousins yet to do the same? Or Gruden for that matter.
Will they try and turn to the pass game for quick scores? If that happens will Cousins make it or break it under that pressure?

I think he's a better QB than a year ago, and I'd like to see him tested like that at some point. But maybe later in the season when he has more positive games and experience under his belt.

Last edited:
Now granted they have faced Romo and Ryan, while we only had to contend with Tannehill and Bradford, but still. Huge difference in stats.

Foles, not Bradford... holy Freudian slip, Batman... ;)

Nick

Actually, Beckham was very pedestrian against the BrokebackBoys.

5 catches, 44 yds.

If they can do it, so can we.

**** a Giant.

I refuse to have ANY players from our division on my FF team. I once drafted Romo just to ride him on the bench for an entire season.

Yeah, I am that petty.

Fantasy should always be less than your actual team. That's why I never, ever play with money involved. Fantasy has to be team agnostic by default, and I'd rather see my team win than my fantasy team win. I got my priorities straight :p

His analysis was not bad. He didn't say Cousins was better than Elway, just that his stats were better because Elway threw a lot more due to lack of running game. I was going to make the same point about Romo and his success with a good running game. I really expected him to fall off to the same old Romo this year without a run game. Projected out to a full season, Kirks stats are like 64% accuracy, 24 TD's, 20 INT's and 4000 yards passing. Now, 20 int's may be ok, or they may be the game killing kind he's been susceptible too. Hopefully he's overcome that.

John Elway's career passer rating was 79.9.

Man that guy sucked.

comparing cousins to elway is why shamahan traded for mcrapp, he really doesnt know how to evaluate talent, I recall he also said we were 1-2 players away when we were damn near talentless and the gem " this team will a 3-4 because it will give us the best chance to win" I think its safe to say that shamahan is an actual idiot

Kirk Grossman strikes again. Terrible game. Terrible game plan. Grade D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.