• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Just as we headed into minicamp looking for progress from Robert, today we find ourselves heading into week two of the regular season hoping to see progress from Kirk Cousins.

Figured a dedicated Kirk Watch Thread made sense ... here's hoping we're not posting up a Colt McCoy Development Tracker any time soon. :twitch:

Each week I'll try to post some analysis from outside. It's easy enough to find reviews from media types, but there are only a handful from people we know at least put in some film study and don't just base their "analysis" off watching the game on TV. Please feel free to add others if you find them.

Week One

17-10 home loss to Miami Dolphins.

21 for 31 (68%), 196 yds (6.3 ypa), 1 TD, 2 INTs, 1 sack (8 yds), QB rating 68.8

Keim's Take
Cooley's Take
Fan film breakdown

Week Two

24-10 home win over St. Louis Rams.

23 for 27 (85%), 203 yds (7.52 ypa), 1 TD, 0 INT, 2 sacks (12 yds), QB rating 110.3

Season:

44 for 58 (75.9%), 399 yds (6.9 ypa), 2 TD, 2 INT, 3 sacks (20 yds), QB rating 91.1

Week Three

32-21 road loss to New York Giants

30 of 49 (61%), 316 yds (6.44 ypa), 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack (11 yds), QB rating 69.8

Bullock's take

Season:

74 for 107 (69.2%), 715 yds (6.68 ypa), 3 TD, 4 INT, 4 sacks (31 yds), QB rating 81.3

Week Four

23-20 home win over Philadelphia Eagles

31 for 46 (67.4%), 290 yds (6.30 ypa), 1 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack (0 yds), QB rating 91.7

Bullock's Take
Keim's Take

Season:

105 for 153 (68.6%), 1005 yds (6.6 ypa), 4 TD, 4 INT, 5 sacks (31 yds), QB rating 84.5

Week Five

25-19 road loss to Atlanta Falcons

21 for 32 (65.6%), 219 yds (6.8 ypa), 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack (0 yds), QB rating 69.7

Bullock's take

Season:

126 for 185 (68.1%), 1224 yds (6.62 yda), 5 TD, 6 INT, 6 sacks (31 yds), QB rating 81.9

Last edited:
Cooley is a biased analyst at this point. I don't listen to anything he has to say about QBs.

These analysts are also not looking at accuracy. Cousins is more consistent than Griffin....but you good see in preseason and last Sunday that Cousins puts the ball in places that are going to get the reevier killed sooner or later. he also, per the Kiem article, will throw into double coverage because...believe it or not....he sometimes doesn't wait long enough for a play to develop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okie doke, brother. If there's anybody out there besides yourself you do think is worth trying to gain additional information or insight from, please feel free to share.

Cooley has actually not been too bad since finally realizing and owning up to the fact that he's done... ;)

He was absolutely intolerable when in his "I'm better than anyone currently healthy on the 'Skins roster right now" mode, but has become a hair more pragmatic the last few days.

Nick

Again ... I chose Keim and Cooley simply because they do actual film breakdown, and offer insights into the concepts and details as to why certain plays did/did not work, NOT due to any agendas, mine or theirs, hidden or overt.

It is possible to separate the men from the work. Really it is. :)

Again, as well ... if there are other actual film breakdowns anyone runs across that they think are helpful or interesting, please offer 'em up.

And now, by your leave ... back to Kirk.

Cooley gave him a B+. 2 interceptions and only putting up 10 points and he gets a B+?

I don't respect what he has to say, honestly. He started off being aggressive and challenging by telling people they can change the channel if they don't like it, then broke it down very sloppy. "A few he would like to have back". Yeah, ok. Those "few" were horrible passes, floaters, and interceptions resulting in stopping any momentum we had going.

That is NOT a slight on the post or the effort put in to it and I do not mean to come across like that. I just think Cooley comes across as just some dude who had his day but now talks more than he was worth. It feels like when Dilfer talks about how to be a winning QB when he was HORRIBLE himself. Cooley was OK at best and average the rest as a player.

He gave him a B-, Mike, and explained why--the first INT downgraded him a half-grade on his own "scale."

It's not really about that for me though. Overall, I thought he, Keim and the filmbreakdown guy all came to roughly the same conclusions; that Kirk did a better job than it might have looked like on TV or at first blush. I'm not sure any of them was over the top in their rosy assessments, and each pointed out negatives (some of which I had thought I'd seen, others not).

What I think I've learned from these and other analyses I've seen/read, plus from watching all of his passes on NFL GamePass a few times this week, is that while we did lose and score only 10 points in doing so, there is reason to be optimistic heading into week two that the QB has a pretty good grasp overall of what he is doing, and may be headed in the right direction.

That's after just one week though, of course. The Rams will have a studied the hell out of the films, too, and will do their nefarious best to get in his face and head hoping that the INT's everyone is watching for will come.

Okie doke, brother. If there's anybody out there besides yourself you do think is worth trying to gain additional information or insight from, please feel free to share.

well, brother, there are a few. they just don't happen to be named Cooley.

myself and others aren't blind. we recognize a campaign when we see it. we recognize when professional analysis veers off radically into agendas and destructive commentary. we know when the language is purposed to communicate and reach out on levels that reach well beyond the content. we can sniff a rat when every other sentence is preferenced with "I have nothing against Robert." hear that repeatedly and you know just the opposite is the case.

btw...I didn't say anything about Kiem's analysis. I thought it was much closer to being balanced.

He gave him a B-, Mike, and explained why--the first INT downgraded him a half-grade on his own "scale."

It's not really about that for me though. Overall, I thought he, Keim and the filmbreakdown guy all came to roughly the same conclusions; that Kirk did a better job than it might have looked like on TV or at first blush. I'm not sure any of them was over the top in their rosy assessments, and each pointed out negatives (some of which I had thought I'd seen, others not).

What I think I've learned from these and other analyses I've seen/read, plus from watching all of his passes on NFL GamePass a few times this week, is that while we did lose and score only 10 points in doing so, there is reason to be optimistic heading into week two that the QB has a pretty good grasp overall of what he is doing, and may be headed in the right direction.

That's after just one week though, of course. The Rams will have a studied the hell out of the films, too, and will do their nefarious best to get in his face and head hoping that the INT's everyone is watching for will come.

care to venture a prediction then?

right now I'm at Rams 24 Skins 10.

It's a fine thread, Om, and much appreciated. Like yourself, I know my hope is to have Kirk prove he is "the guy". Nothing would be better than knowing who our starting QB is gonna be for the next 10yrs. And liking it.

And while Keim & Cooley can break down film and decipher what it means better than I can, it doesn't erase the fact that they both have been advocating for Kirk to start, since last season. They, like many others, are far more forgiving, and much less critical, of Kirk. Because he's "their guy". Regardless of how unbiased they say they are. They simply aren't.

So, I'll offer my own assessment. With the understanding that I'm one of a small few who thinks Robert is NOT done. And, more importantly, not done, here.

I went with BB's grade of a C for Kirk. Meaning average. Very average. I like Kirk. I want him, or ANYBODY for that matter, to take this damn job and run with it. I know he really has a small body of work to go on, but there are some early signs. For a guy who, they say, played in some big time games at Michigan (I don't watch much college football) he seems to wither in the spotlight. Hopefully, more exposure to it will improve his play. The int's/turnovers were a rap on him coming out of college, I believe. They have continued, so far, with more consistency than any other part of his game. The one int last week was just a helluva play by the CB. But he threw several up for grabs that should have, and most often will, be picked off as well.

I think he will be a very good QB playing with a lead. The bigger, the better. Want to see him perform better in the clutch. This game Sunday looks to be a tough one. The whole team needs to play better than last week. But Kirk needs to lead the way.

HTTR!!!

View attachment 2578

well, looks like we were both off. He ended up with a solid B. The other guys gave him C-, C-, and a D. I tend to be more on their sides just because of the lack of scoring and, to me, what looked like deer in headlights syndrome. Especially on that 4th and 7 play where he didn't even move one step in the pocket.

He does have a quick release, he does make decisions fast...but his delivery lacks any sort of zip if it is over 10 yards. It just feels like he is trying to put too much "touch" on his passes and it is floating.

I think we are definitely better than 10 points!! I blame a lot of what happened on a lack of adjustments by the coaches. If Gruden sets him up with better opportunities and sticks with what is working we can do much better. He just needs to stop throwing picks and looking scared of throwing them.

Again ... I chose Keim and Cooley simply because they do actual film breakdown, and offer insights into the concepts and details as to why certain plays did/did not work, NOT due to any agendas, mine or theirs, hidden or overt.

It is possible to separate the men from the work. Really it is. :)

Again, as well ... if there are other actual film breakdowns anyone runs across that they think are helpful or interesting, please offer 'em up.

And now, by your leave ... back to Kirk.

Great stuff OM really a good idea.

First off, Cooley is a player, not a journalist or media expert or any of that. I don't have any problem with him and never have.

Secondly, please post the complete analysis of Jaws. He's the only one that know WTF he is talking about. Anyone who wants to debate that I'll have plenty of retorts.

Third, yes we will need a McCoy tracker. Here's why. And I'll apologize in advance for even bringing it up. since the win over Dallas in Dec 30, 2012 when we won the division, we have only won 7 games. Cleveland has won 11. McCoy is the guy who has outperformed anyone on our roster. so we need his tracker.

Can't say Kirk played too bad vs the Rams, that throw to Reed was as good as most any QB I've seen

Kirk did fine again. Almost threw a very costly INT but didn't. Other than that he did what he was supposed to do.

That throw to Reed was big time.

His long run and slid was Theismanesque.

B+ today. Can't throw that pass that should have been picked. Gonna need more passing yards, so he's gonna have to instill more confidence in the coaching staff. They're clearly scaling back the passing game to limit his exposure.

Geez guys, does he have to cure cancer while on the field to get major kudos. Save the one pass he was damn near perfect today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were expecting the worst, Kirk made the big play to Reed.
If that's all it takes from him each game to win that's all we need.
As he gains confidence and wins, the other stuff we need from him should follow.

Kinda sounds like stuff outa' fortune cookies don't it.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.