• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Eli Manning - an average QB who plays great when the pressure is on and the stakes are highest.

Kirk Cousins - an average QB who wilts when the spotlight is on and the stakes are highest.

If only Reed had not made that pick penalty on the first play from scrimmage yesterday, the whole dynamic of the game would have been different.

Reed doesn't make that penalty...

Kirk isn't placed in a 1st and 20...

We have the ball on the VaGiants 48...

Kirk's confidence is not shattered...

We go on to win 31-17.

Wow! That sounds eerily familiar.

***sarcasm alert***

There's some truth to this, and it infuriates me. Only during Gibbs II did I have any faith that we could overcome that kind of sequence on a consistent basis. That kind of mental frailty is probably the hardest thing to stomach for me. If guys miss plays and make mistakes I can deal with that, because it is a learning process. But Kirk looked to me like he didn't want to be there last night from that penalty on. That's hard for me to watch.

Context matters. Some more of Jaws' quote:

“I really don’t know about the noise that surrounds this quarterback situation and the drama,” Jaworski said. “I try to base my opinions on what I see on the field. And I’ve always felt this way about Kirk Cousins: he certainly does have NFL ability, but he predetermines far too many throws. And you can’t do that in this league, because the defense will bait you. They will set you up."

We know why Kirk is starting. Because Robert couldn't get it done, because Colt is a journeyman with known upside, and because Kirk came into this season having shown flashes in limited opportunities. Kirk is getting his shot in 2015, that's it. Whether or not he stops pre-determining where he's going with the ball with added experience, cuts down the INT's, and starts hitting the open guy when opportunity arises, will decide how many more games he starts in 2015 and beyond.

But for the big money injury concern, I'd rather ride out this season with Griffin who might, just might, have the wherewithal to succeed in this league. MIGHT. I can't see Cousins becoming anything better than he has shown. A career 2nd who shines in practice.

So cut to the chase, guys.

Would you start Colt or Robert against Philly?

Did you feel that way after the Rams game?

If the answer is yes to either, I'm done here, because we've had that conversation a dozen times already and I want to keep what little hair I have left.

If the answer is no ... we get another chance to evaluate him in 10 days, as will Gruden and Scot M.

No, I think you stick with Kirk for another 4-5 games, unless he melts down completely. But I would like to know that Gruden is working on rehabbing Griffin mentally as well as physically behind the scenes.

No, but only because of the injury rider. The front office will continue on the path of finding those to go forward with. Cousins is simply a season long placeholder until next years qb is acquired.

You have to stick with Kirk now.

I think I've said, oh, about 15 or 100 times that Kirk is backup-quality QB who throws a lot of INTs, but if he's The Guy, you gotta go with him. Unless Gruden has suddenly, secretly, deep-down-in-his-quiet-moments decided Griffin is our best hope now and into the future, the team needs to just pick one of the other guys and stick with him. McCoy and Cousins are fairly interchangeable. We aren't winning anything with either of them so there's no need to pull our hair out over which one should play.

May as well go with Continuity in this case. Better than nothing.

A little better.

Not much.

He gets 8 games in my book before we can get a good feel on where he's at.

At this rate, Pick won't get the whole season. Nor should he.

and that's a good thing. Jay has no qualms about benching the QB. That's a good thing to have in a coach making that decision. We don't want to hang on to a loser and Jay was showing us last year he won't stand for it. What some folks on this board couldn't take was that he actually was pulling the trigger. Can't have it both ways. Its better to have the coach with the nerve to make necessary changes than to stick with a losing proposition. Colt, get your helmet on and keep it on.

Yeah, good old Jay changed QBs every month last year. How'd that work out for us? :)

Uh... yeah. So we're supposed to have patience with Gruden who is learning on the job or something, but it's great when Jay changes QBs as often as he changes underwear?

You know the record, but you conveniently leave out the injuries and how they impacted those decisions.

As for me personally, I know this is the same offense. And I expect the same results, I'm not the one that's been fooled by McClou and the lack of depth on teams play. Its still going to take years to get the starters in place, then build the depth. Notice I didn't bring up QB? I'm about at the point where I want a vet cast off to take over until we find the real gem in the later rounds. But I don't expect that putting QB as a draft priority is a move to success. We been there done that. Last night I saw we still need another big ugly up front on the Oline to make the run game foolproof.

We need depth. We lose one lineman and the run game is screwed. Time and good player acquisition is the cure.

You know the record, but you conveniently leave out the injuries and how they impacted those decisions.

As for me personally, I know this is the same offense. And I expect the same results, I'm not the one that's been fooled by McClou and the lack of depth on teams play. Its still going to take years to get the starters in place, then build the depth. Notice I didn't bring up QB? I'm about at the point where I want a vet cast off to take over until we find the real gem in the later rounds. But I don't expect that putting QB as a draft priority is a move to success. We been there done that. Last night I saw we still need another big ugly up front on the Oline to make the run game foolproof.

I guess my question is that, given what you've said here (which I mostly agree with), what's the point of switching QBs every few games? We know the team isn't going anywhere, and switching out one mediocre QB for another serves no purpose, really, other than change for the sake of change.

When a coach does something like that it doesn't strike me a decisive leadership and accountability. It looks to me like flailing desperation.

So cut to the chase, guys.

Would you start Colt or Robert against Philly?

Did you feel that way after the Rams game?

If the answer is yes to either, I'm done here, because we've had that conversation a dozen times already and I want to keep what little hair I have left.

If the answer is no ... we get another chance to evaluate him in 10 days, as will Gruden and Scot M.

Om,

While I would not have made the change to Kirk to begin with, I don't think Jay can go back.

Yet.

And maybe Jay can't go back ever.

I think at this point Jay has crawled in bed with Kirk and he has to stay there until either Kirk proves him right or the evidence is overwhelming. I think everyone agrees that Colt is a great backup in this league but not the answer full time. That only leaves Robert and while I don't believe he is done, either in the league or in Washington, I don't think he can come to start this season. There are 16 million reasons that probably shouldn't happen.

Kirk is still what he has always been...a roller coaster. He is going to have good games like last week against the Rams and he is going to have horrible games like he did against last night against the Giants. The really disturbing thing to me is that his sack rate appears to be increasing. We used to talk about how much better his sack rate was than Roberts but, with an improved line to play behind, Kirk is starting to take sacks at a rate approaching that of Griff.

All that being said, I think baring injury Kirk likely gets the whole season.

Did kirk have a good game? Or did the receivers make him look good by making great catches and plays after?

Cousins doesn't have it. He looks like he's scared at all times and is not comfortable under the bright lights. Not his fault, but this is dc and people are chewed up and spit out left and right

Context matters. Some more of Jaws' quote:

“I really don’t know about the noise that surrounds this quarterback situation and the drama,” Jaworski said. “I try to base my opinions on what I see on the field. And I’ve always felt this way about Kirk Cousins: he certainly does have NFL ability, but he predetermines far too many throws. And you can’t do that in this league, because the defense will bait you. They will set you up."

We know why Kirk is starting. Because Robert couldn't get it done, because Colt is a journeyman with known upside, and because Kirk came into this season having shown flashes in limited opportunities. Kirk is getting his shot in 2015, that's it. Whether or not he stops pre-determining where he's going with the ball with added experience, cuts down the INT's, and starts hitting the open guy when opportunity arises, will decide how many more games he starts in 2015 and beyond.

Watching the first 2 games through 2 different lenses, I could see Kirk staring down his receivers. I figured it would be a few more games into the season before he got caught. Spags caught him last night.

Gotta give them credit, they exploited Cousins weaknesses and it cost us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.